New construction and ladder placement - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Workplace Safety

Like Tree8Likes

Old 07-17-2016, 07:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 18
View NeighborMike's Photo Album My Photos
Default New construction and ladder placement

Fyi I'm new too painting so sorry for the basic questions

What are some things you guys do to keep the ground level while using a ladder around a new construction?

Short of just leveling the dirt yourself?
NeighborMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2016, 08:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 347
View mattpaints82's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborMike View Post
Fyi I'm new too painting so sorry for the basic questions

What are some things you guys do to keep the ground level while using a ladder around a new construction?

Short of just leveling the dirt yourself?
One of these are awfully handy. https://www.amazon.com/ProVisionTool...it+ladder+tool
PRC likes this.
mattpaints82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:13 PM   #3
PRC

Rewards Points: 42
View PRC's Photo Album My Photos

The Pivit is a good tool to have and has multiple uses.

I'd also recommend these
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000E...I1CV3HS56A7N99
PRC is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PRC For This Useful Post:
journeymanPainter (07-18-2016)

Old 07-17-2016, 08:22 PM   #4

Very nice thank you gentleman
Old 07-17-2016, 08:30 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 24
View The Cutting Edge's Photo Album My Photos

I'm always on hilly terrain. I pack a hammer with me and just dig out the high side. Just enough to fit the ladder foot into. I know a lot of guys that go try to hunt down 2x6s or something. Its just too easy to dig a little hole and you're done. 10 seconds maybe.
SemiproJohn likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cutting Edge For This Useful Post:
Gwarel (07-18-2016)
Old 07-17-2016, 08:39 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 966
Thanked 3,948 Times in 2,055 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

I keep a bundle of 2X12, and 1X12 scraps in the van, as well as some 1/2" scraps of plywood. I've had it fail as an idea over the last 13 yrs, but I've seen everything else fail as well, so it continues as a decent idea. I'm still alive.

If you don't think it's safe, come down and reset.
SemiproJohn likes this.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:24 PM   #7

cool. Thank you all again
Old 07-17-2016, 11:11 PM   #8
kmp

Rewards Points: 1,108
View kmp's Photo Album My Photos

I keep some 2x4 scraps as well. I also have some 2' concrete form stakes to use to tie ladder feet to as well. I had a job last year where every placement was build dunnage and dig holes. I have a bunch of 2' 4x4 pieces I use as well.
kmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:45 PM   #9
RH

Rewards Points: 11,088
Thanked 14,591 Times in 7,466 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

I have the ladder levelers that PRC linked. They work great for dealing with uneven ground.

John Goodman - "Arachnophobia"
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:02 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 4
Thanked 3,589 Times in 1,810 Posts
View Jmayspaint's Photo Album My Photos

Yeah, the auto-levelers are indispensable if you work in the mountains or the hills or anywhere that your dealing with uneven ground.
Not just for the convince, but time saved as well. No looking around for something to prop up one leg or digging. Just bump the ladder up and it levels itself.

Best $100 you can spend on a ladder. I can't imagine not having them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:16 AM   #11
RH

Rewards Points: 11,088
Thanked 14,591 Times in 7,466 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmayspaint View Post
Yeah, the auto-levelers are indispensable if you work in the mountains or the hills or anywhere that your dealing with uneven ground.
Not just for the convince, but time saved as well. No looking around for something to prop up one leg or digging. Just bump the ladder up and it levels itself.

Bought my set of these years ago, mounted them on both ladders thinking they would be perfect for using on interior stairs - wrong! With the extra width they added to the base of the ladder it made it so the extended leg would rest either right on the very lip of the lower tread or would miss it altogether. And the extender isn't long enough to be able to skip two treads. So, never did get to use them until I did the exterior of my own home (which is built on a slight hill) last summer. And as I said, they were great for leveling then.

John Goodman - "Arachnophobia"
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:24 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 840
Thanked 10,457 Times in 5,722 Posts
View Gough's Photo Album My Photos

All of our extension ladders have these, as do most of our trestles (Triggers®), and a bunch of our stepladders.

https://www.amazon.com/LADDER-ACCESS...er+leg+leveler

Around here, level building sites are almost non-existent. Between theses levelers and some steel form stakes, we can deal with most situations.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:24 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 34
View MurphysPaint's Photo Album My Photos

The Pivit tool is a handy thing to have, feels safer to me than scrap lumber but that might just be a placebo effect... I still (usually) want to have someone hold the ladder.

MurphysPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:17 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 924
Thanked 4,501 Times in 2,837 Posts
View cdpainting's Photo Album My Photos

The Pivot will be your best friend. We have 4 and use them almost every day. They have so many uses.
cdpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:20 PM   #15
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 5,352
Thanked 5,043 Times in 2,733 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

We use the pivot for leveling as well. Just saw this on Amazon, much cheaper, do not know if it is as good. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PJIH1C8?psc=1
DeanV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:46 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 34
View MurphysPaint's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanV View Post
We use the pivot for leveling as well. Just saw this on Amazon, much cheaper, do not know if it is as good. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PJIH1C8?psc=1

Doesn't look like it would work on stairs...

MurphysPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:19 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 674
Thanked 1,640 Times in 1,052 Posts
View journeymanPainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphysPaint View Post
Doesn't look like it would work on stairs...

I have 2 and I'll never use them for stairs. Tried twice and it never worked.
journeymanPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:32 AM   #18

Rewards Points: 924
Thanked 4,501 Times in 2,837 Posts
View cdpainting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanV View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymanPainter View Post
I have 2 and I'll never use them for stairs. Tried twice and it never worked.
To me looking at this one the Pivot is much better. I guess outside on the grass this would be fine. Placing on stairs it doesn't look like it will work that good.
cdpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:34 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 2,428
Thanked 6,695 Times in 4,450 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Yes, I know I am responding to a old thread and to top it off the OP has not made a post in eight months, but hey I have not been around much, so chalk it up to catching up, or maybe it is the five ladders that I replaced this year that has this topic at hand on my mind.

I have been a long time user of ladder levelers on my extension ladders. I do of course have a pivit, but I don't use it as often as some may.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmayspaint View Post

I couldn't agree with this statement more. $100-$150 is a small price to pay for safety and convenience imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
Bought my set of these years ago, mounted them on both ladders thinking they would be perfect for using on interior stairs - wrong! With the extra width they added to the base of the ladder it made it so the extended leg would rest either right on the very lip of the lower tread or would miss it altogether. And the extender isn't long enough to be able to skip two treads. So, never did get to use them until I did the exterior of my own home (which is built on a slight hill) last summer. And as I said, they were great for leveling then.
Not sure about the LeveLok for stairs as I am new to the brand but with the other type I was using stairs were still a crap shoot as it depends on the tread. Sometimes they fit great and other times it is like you say they catch the edge and not quite workable and the pivit comes out. More often than not though they did fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gough View Post
All of our extension ladders have these, as do most of our trestles (Triggers®), and a bunch of our stepladders.

https://www.amazon.com/LADDER-ACCESS...er+leg+leveler

Around here, level building sites are almost non-existent. Between theses levelers and some steel form stakes, we can deal with most situations.
Really it was your post that made me reply Gough. I too have used those type of ladder levelers for many years and with replacing some extension ladders this year I have been torn when it comes to my ladder leveling needs.

I have found the 600 Xtend-Leg to be mostly reliable and to last a long time. But the main downside I am having in regard to them is the lack of versatility with them. By that I mean I have used them on extension ladders outside for years over and over, but lately I have been concerned about them not being able to dig in and the overall safety aspect of the pads for exterior use.
They make the 700 which is a cleat, but clearly those are not something to be used inside or even on concrete. Making them not worth outfitting a ladder with for me.

I think if this company made their replacement pads and cleats a quick release for an easy swap I would continue with them but I am giving the LeveLok brand a go on the new extension ladders because of the shoe.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:22 AM   #20

Rewards Points: 636
View ridesarize's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
Yes, I know I am responding to a old thread and to top it off the OP has not made a post in eight months, but hey I have not been around much, so chalk it up to catching up, or maybe it is the five ladders that I replaced this year that has this topic at hand on my mind.

I have been a long time user of ladder levelers on my extension ladders. I do of course have a pivit, but I don't use it as often as some may.

I couldn't agree with this statement more. $100-$150 is a small price to pay for safety and convenience imo.

Not sure about the LeveLok for stairs as I am new to the brand but with the other type I was using stairs were still a crap shoot as it depends on the tread. Sometimes they fit great and other times it is like you say they catch the edge and not quite workable and the pivit comes out. More often than not though they did fit.

Really it was your post that made me reply Gough. I too have used those type of ladder levelers for many years and with replacing some extension ladders this year I have been torn when it comes to my ladder leveling needs.

I have found the 600 Xtend-Leg to be mostly reliable and to last a long time. But the main downside I am having in regard to them is the lack of versatility with them. By that I mean I have used them on extension ladders outside for years over and over, but lately I have been concerned about them not being able to dig in and the overall safety aspect of the pads for exterior use.
They make the 700 which is a cleat, but clearly those are not something to be used inside or even on concrete. Making them not worth outfitting a ladder with for me.

I think if this company made their replacement pads and cleats a quick release for an easy swap I would continue with them but I am giving the LeveLok brand a go on the new extension ladders because of the shoe.
I do like the werner automatic levelers, and the type with the round pad feet, each style has its pluses and minuses.

A few companies that I've worked for have used the Werner Ever-Level ladders. At first I teased my boss for them having an actual bubble level on the bottom rung, but these ladders have some good qualities to them. Don't need a bubble level to tell you when an extension ladder is plumb...but oh well.

They have regular ladder feet on them. There are some cons like having to manually adjust the height but with experience it becomes easy. Watching new guys try to adjust them is comical and sad how hard they make it look.
The legs can be raised to make the ladder 6" or 10" taller or shorter to go over a window for example, which the automatic levelers won't do. Easy to match ladder heights this way for planks also as an example (instead of up or down a whole rung height).

They don't quite fit on every stair system but I have my solution for that.
You get used to visually checking that the pins are in before ascending, and checking others' ladder sets. Not unusual for me to check ladder sets anyways..

Second edit, I went to the web site to find these pics, and the ladders are much cheaper in town. They are not too much more than the standard Werners.
Attached Thumbnails
New construction and ladder placement-tmp_16575-d1800-2eq_features1513480575.jpg  

Workaholic and Wildbill7145 like this.

Last edited by ridesarize; 03-26-2017 at 12:30 AM..
ridesarize is online now   Reply With Quote