Capspray 95 - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Supplies and Equipment

Like Tree17Likes

Old 01-03-2017, 10:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 28
View MurphysPaint's Photo Album My Photos
Default Capspray 95

SW Rep offered me a pretty good price on a Capspray 95, but before I jump into it I wanted to get some feedback. I currently use an airless with FF tip for trim, doors and cabinets with either ProClassic or Multi Surface Acrylic paints. I'm also looking at the WB Alkyd Urethane Enamel as another top coat option for an upcoming cabinet project. The appeal of the HVLP is reduced overspray, more forgiveness when spraying in tight areas, and not having to use 1/2 a gallon just to fill the line of my airless. I've read through other posts and understand that a lot of you don't like running paints through their HVLP, which contradicts what the manufacturer claims the unit can do. Why is this? Is it really just a waste of money to invest in the HVLP if I'm not spraying stains and lacquers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MurphysPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2017, 12:09 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 270
View 007 Dave's Photo Album My Photos

I bought a brand new 115 for the same thing you are considering it for. Some painters love them. I hated it. It was a big waste of money for me.
cdpainting likes this.
007 Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 Dave View Post
I bought a brand new 115 for the same thing you are considering it for. Some painters love them. I hated it. It was a big waste of money for me.

Why? Did it slow you down too much? Finish wasn't up to par? Don't like working a quart at a time?

Old 01-04-2017, 02:13 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 268
View ridesarize's Photo Album My Photos

The only time I use them is for when I just can't see buying a gallon of something to do a tiny project or one door, if I have to do some toning with lacquer, or a while back used to shoot speed-e-coat xylene based enamel on doors for quick dry and rehang time.

Couldn't imagine trying to do cabinets or trim ever with one. I can get extremely consistent and fine quality results with the airless. It might be dialed in but could change through the process due to build up or having to thin another batch of paint.
slinger58 (01-04-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 07:19 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 270
View 007 Dave's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphysPaint View Post
Why? Did it slow you down too much? Finish wasn't up to par? Don't like working a quart at a time?

I got mine to spray interior trim and cabinets. I only sprayed Pro Classic thru it. and I had to thin it more than I wanted to for the capspray to work good. It did not work the way the salesman from Titan told me it would work. I will be the first to tell you I'm not the best skilled spay man that some are on here so it could have just been me. I can not see me ever buying another capspray.
four2knapp likes this.
007 Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:11 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 242
Thanked 5,547 Times in 2,927 Posts
View slinger58's Photo Album My Photos

My view is the same as ridesarize. It's a handy tool to have for small things and stuff like wrought iron, etc. I can't imagine using it for a whole set of kitchen cabs, it's just too slow. It's not going to improve on the finish of an airless with FF tips enough to justify the change, if it improves at all. And when you consider how much the material has to be thinned to make it work, the final product may not not be as good unless you're willing to do more coats than normal.
four2knapp and ridesarize like this.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:23 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 408
Thanked 4,455 Times in 2,797 Posts
View cdpainting's Photo Album My Photos

I thought about it for a while. I did end up getting a Titan Aircoat (Left one) but it was free so I took it. I have yet to use it.

cdpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:44 PM   #8

I was vaguely aware of the issues people have with HVLP but I'm a little surprised that not one person among us has a differing view. Most people that I've talked to who don't have an HVLP all want one, but it would appear that the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:50 AM   #9

Quote:
I was vaguely aware of the issues people have with HVLP but I'm a little surprised that not one person among us has a differing view. Most people that I've talked to who don't have an HVLP all want one, but it would appear that the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

I have a cupgun and 60 gallon air compressor we used to use until we bought the Graco 395 FP. I like this bigger unit only because of the gun and how much easier it is to maneuver around tight spots. Yes these machines are big, heavy and bulky.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:55 PM   #10
kmp

Rewards Points: 1,018
View kmp's Photo Album My Photos

A hvlp is all I use for cabinet projects. Even with an air assist there is to much prep and over spray. Most of the cabinets around my area are oak and the boxes can be brushed and mohair weenie rolled and spray the fronts. I usually get enough paint thinned for the whole project so consistency from quart to quart fill up is the same.
kmp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kmp For This Useful Post:
MurphysPaint (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 08:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp View Post
A hvlp is all I use for cabinet projects. Even with an air assist there is to much prep and over spray. Most of the cabinets around my area are oak and the boxes can be brushed and mohair weenie rolled and spray the fronts. I usually get enough paint thinned for the whole project so consistency from quart to quart fill up is the same.

Do you use a clear over your paint?

Old 01-07-2017, 09:34 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,208
View woodcoyote's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Most people that I've talked to who don't have an HVLP all want one, but it would appear that the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

It's not necessarily that the grass is alive or dead or greener.

It's a tool.

So you use it when you need that tool. I.e. the situation arises and you use the right thing.

As another poster mentioned earlier in the thread, it's great for shading/toning and spraying small objects, doing detail work, etc. It isn't really designed to spray large jobs. You wouldn't spray a whole house with it, 2,000 + sqft of sheetrock. Doesn't mean it isn't a good tool to have, just not in that particular situation.

In all honest, I doubt your rep is going to give you a new cap95 for under $1,000 (U.S. money). So in that case, knowing the prices of things, I would opt for a Fine Finish sprayer (AAA). Especially if your starting out or you don't have any fine finish equipment.

If your starting off, a AAA (air assisted airless) sprayer is a great unit to have. The reason being, as I've detailed many times over, is that it can spray in both airless mode and air assisted mode. Giving you essentially 2 units for 'the price of one'.

You can spray large portions of sheetrock (if need be) a whole room. Garage doors, etc. OR you can do more detailed work and spray clear/paint on cabinets/trim/doors/etc.

Nutshell: I'll tell you this much though, any* HVLP is going to struggle spraying paint, raw undiluted. Most can't and a capspray 95 is definitely not going to be able to do it.
Which means your going to have to dilute your paint which means more coats/more time. If diluted too much, you might end up altering the color as well during the process. Which will make touch-ups much more difficult.
woodcoyote is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodcoyote For This Useful Post:
MurphysPaint (01-07-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 12:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcoyote View Post
It's not necessarily that the grass is alive or dead or greener.

It's a tool.

So you use it when you need that tool. I.e. the situation arises and you use the right thing.

As another poster mentioned earlier in the thread, it's great for shading/toning and spraying small objects, doing detail work, etc. It isn't really designed to spray large jobs. You wouldn't spray a whole house with it, 2,000 + sqft of sheetrock. Doesn't mean it isn't a good tool to have, just not in that particular situation.

In all honest, I doubt your rep is going to give you a new cap95 for under $1,000 (U.S. money). So in that case, knowing the prices of things, I would opt for a Fine Finish sprayer (AAA). Especially if your starting out or you don't have any fine finish equipment.

If your starting off, a AAA (air assisted airless) sprayer is a great unit to have. The reason being, as I've detailed many times over, is that it can spray in both airless mode and air assisted mode. Giving you essentially 2 units for 'the price of one'.

You can spray large portions of sheetrock (if need be) a whole room. Garage doors, etc. OR you can do more detailed work and spray clear/paint on cabinets/trim/doors/etc.

Nutshell: I'll tell you this much though, any* HVLP is going to struggle spraying paint, raw undiluted. Most can't and a capspray 95 is definitely not going to be able to do it.
Which means your going to have to dilute your paint which means more coats/more time. If diluted too much, you might end up altering the color as well during the process. Which will make touch-ups much more difficult.

Very good points. I already have an airless for priming/ceilings, and I have a ProShot FF which I use for doors and trim. An HVLP would be strictly for small items, primarily cabinets.

I know thinning the paint would be necessary to shoot it through an HVLP, but from what I've been lead to believe it isn't so much that it should affect the integrity of the finish. I can't speak from experience though.

I've also come to find that a painted finish alone isn't durable enough to withstand the wear and tear of an average family kitchen, so I'd like to start adding a waterborne clear to protect the painted finish.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:23 AM   #14
PRC

Rewards Points: 40
View PRC's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Very good points. I already have an airless for priming/ceilings, and I have a ProShot FF which I use for doors and trim. An HVLP would be strictly for small items, primarily cabinets.

I know thinning the paint would be necessary to shoot it through an HVLP, but from what I've been lead to believe it isn't so much that it should affect the integrity of the finish. I can't speak from experience though.

I've also come to find that a painted finish alone isn't durable enough to withstand the wear and tear of an average family kitchen, so I'd like to start adding a waterborne clear to protect the painted finish.
Be careful using a waterbased poly topcoat. It can cause discoloration. I haven't personally experienced this but I've heard a number of stories.

Remember that with a turbine HVLP once that thing spools up that's all the power you get. I know you recognize that thinning the paint is necessary but I think it's worth emphasizing that it is you only option you have.

It might be old school but for fine finish work I still prefer pressure pots. It means hauling a decent size compressor but I prefer to be able to control the air, material, and fan. The variety of aircaps and fluid sections gives many options. Plus the finish quality is exceptional.
PremierPaintingMa likes this.

Last edited by PRC; 01-08-2017 at 01:46 AM..
PRC is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PRC For This Useful Post:
MurphysPaint (01-08-2017), PremierPaintingMa (01-17-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 10:52 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,208
View woodcoyote's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Let me ask you this: What do you think the HVLP will do for you?

I.e. If you were to buy it...what are your hopes that this unit will do?

Another option, ask your SW rep to get ahold of the Titan or Graco rep. Usually they are regional reps and tend to travel a lot. Ask when he/she will be around and can demo the units to you. If you have a ProShow coming up, then ask if they can bring a unit so you can see/test it.

P.S. Bring your own cabinet door or what not to spray on. I never let them use their own display unless it's worth it. My graco rep lets me test units on whatever I want from stucco walls to cabinetry. Of course the end result if it works...is a sale..for him lol.

Another option is this: Get the number for your trade rep (graco/titan) and call them directly. Sometimes the SW guys get bogged down with day to day things and won't get around to your request for a bit. Shouldn't be a problem as they hand out their cards/contact info during the ProShows. They'll have all the info or know how to get it. Then you can maybe arrange something directly with the trade rep.
woodcoyote is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woodcoyote For This Useful Post:
cdpainting (01-08-2017), MurphysPaint (01-08-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 11:29 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 18
View msucro's Photo Album My Photos

We have a Capspray 105 and a 655ED airless (for lacquer). The capspray isn't much good for heavier bodied material without thinning. We use it mostly for applying toner because the pattern is wide and material comes out more slowly than airless so it's a bit easier to control millage. It's also good for spraying railings and things that need a very narrow fan.

It worked great for repainting one of the comapny vans too!
msucro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msucro For This Useful Post:
coastpainter (01-17-2017), MurphysPaint (01-08-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 12:23 PM   #17

Quote:

Another option, ask your SW rep to get ahold of the Titan or Graco rep. Usually they are regional reps and tend to travel a lot. Ask when he/she will be around and can demo the units to you. If you have a ProShow coming up, then ask if they can bring a unit so you can see/test it.

P.S. Bring your own cabinet door or what not to spray on. I never let them use their own display unless it's worth it. My graco rep lets me test units on whatever I want from stucco walls to cabinetry. Of course the end result if it works...is a sale..for him lol.

Another option is this: Get the number for your trade rep (graco/titan) and call them directly. Sometimes the SW guys get bogged down with day to day things and won't get around to your request for a bit. Shouldn't be a problem as they hand out their cards/contact info during the ProShows. They'll have all the info or know how to get it. Then you can maybe arrange something directly with the trade rep.

I am hoping the HVLP will allow me to spray a set of cabinet doors without having a layer of overspray caked to the floor of my booth. I'm hoping it will allow me to slow things down and have better control over the coverage on fine finish projects. I'm hoping it will reduce masking time and materials. I'm hoping it will eliminate blow outs. I'm hoping it will allow me to spray railings and balustrades without sending a gallon of finish into the air. I'm hoping that it will reduce the amount of airborne particulates resulting in a better finish, especially when working in tight spaces. I'm hoping that it will be easier to switch products when compared to my airless. I'm hoping I can spray oil based products when required, which I will not do with my airless. Other than that I haven't given it much thought, which is why I appreciate all the feedback.

Doing a demo is a great idea, I will see if I can get that set up in a reasonable time. I'm in a smaller city, so the reps don't usually frequent my area.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:23 PM   #18

Quote:

Hopefully he has more luck contacting Titan reps unlike me. After almost 2 years and still calling our Titan rep about our other sprayers they have yet to even try to call me or email me back. I will never buy Titan new again. Graco the rep was great, explained a lot about the different sprayers they offer. We ended up buying the 395 FP. I'm also looking to replace our Titan Advantage 700 with a Graco this summer.

Might be selling off all of our Titan sprayers soon.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdpainting View Post
Hopefully he has more luck contacting Titan reps unlike me. After almost 2 years and still calling our Titan rep about our other sprayers they have yet to even try to call me or email me back. I will never buy Titan new again. Graco the rep was great, explained a lot about the different sprayers they offer. We ended up buying the 395 FP. I'm also looking to replace our Titan Advantage 700 with a Graco this summer.

Might be selling off all of our Titan sprayers soon.

I've never dealt with titan as all my sprayers right now are graco, but my experience with graco rep has been equally frustrating. Still waiting for the free tips I was supposed to get from a sprayer I bought in 2015.

Old 01-08-2017, 12:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRC View Post
Be careful using a waterbased poly topcoat. It can cause discoloration. I haven't personally experienced this but I've heard a number of stories.

Remember that with a turbine HVLP once that thing spools up that's all the power you get. I know you recognize that thinning the paint is necessary but I think it's worth emphasizing that it is you only option you have.

It might be old school but for fine finish work I still prefer pressure pots. It means hauling a decent size compressor but I prefer to be able to control the air, material, and fan. The variety of aircaps and fluid sections gives many options. Plus the finish quality is exceptional.

I suppose that the turbine unit is more appealing than lugging around a compressor and dealing with moisture in the line, but maybe it's not worth the convenience. The idea of more control options is certainly a good one.