CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Supplies and Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 06:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
View Ramsden Painting's Photo Album My Photos
Default Frozen paint.. Oh no

The gas company's meters were miss labeled and they mistakenly shut off my gas/heat. I came back from vacation to a surprise as we have roughly 90 full and partial cans of stock. This includes stain, paint, poly, mud, glade ect. Ect..
The gas company already sent an adjuster over and we provided pricing. They then asked for receipts and I said "no problem" I will bill you for the time it takes to gather them all up, it will probably take me two full days at $45 per hour. I also brought up the disposal of the product.
What a headache, I'm just glad the sprinkler system didn't freeze and burst.

responsi

Sent from my iPad using PaintTalk
Attached Thumbnails
Frozen paint.. Oh no-image-2481406451.jpg   Frozen paint.. Oh no-image-273125568.jpg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-25-2013, 06:50 AM   #2

Thanked 4,180 Times in 2,512 Posts
View straight_lines's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to straight_lines

That stinks. Sorry to see all that paint wasted.

Primer makes everything better...
Old 01-25-2013, 07:30 AM   #3

Thanked 2,148 Times in 1,476 Posts
View cdpainting's Photo Album My Photos

I lost my heat yesterday but only I froze, sorry about your paint that stinks, this is one reason I do not keep any paint around during the winter.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:32 AM   #4

View Ramsden Painting's Photo Album My Photos

The biggest headache is the paint I did not show is all my condo paint. We perform maintenance painting and repaints on approximate 8 complexes with multiple colors and it was so easy to just grab and go when work was needed. I am suppose to hear from today regarding the claim today

Sent from my iPad using PaintTalk
Old 01-25-2013, 07:36 AM   #5

View DanielMDollaPainting's Photo Album My Photos

The middle shelf of gallons looks like stuff I'd keep, the rest of all those tinted colors and tinted quarts should of been left with the homeowner. Looks like you'll be disposing of it sooner or later anyway. My dad would keep everything. Just the way he was raised. When he died I had a major clean up of bs. Stuff 30yrs old.lmao. I guess he looked at a gal like it was liquid $. Me being a chip off the old block have a small pile in my basement accumalating. I find that finding a place to use it is near impossible if it is not white. It hazmat. I try to leave it with the customer for touch up if it's not something I use daily.

http://www.dollapainting.com/
Old 01-25-2013, 07:37 AM   #6
Paint Store Owner

Thanked 2,975 Times in 1,797 Posts
View NCPaint1's Photo Album My Photos

Are you kidding? This is a great scenario. He gets full replacement cost for a bunch of leftover junked paint. It wasn't waiting for a job or anything, like new product. It was bought, paid for, and used, and paid for again.

I know it sucks, but its getting covered. You know what happens when I get a pallet of frozen paint delivered? Nothing.... I send it back and it gets replaced. What about my loss? What about the product I didn't have for customers because it was frozen and being reshipped? Nada...just a "too bad for you".

They're covering your loss...that really isn't a loss in my eyes, so be happy.

www.northcromwellpaint.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NCPaint1 For This Useful Post:
Oden (01-25-2013), Paradigmzz (01-27-2013)
Old 01-25-2013, 07:48 AM   #7

View wills fresh coat's Photo Album My Photos

That's a bunch of junk paint and your just trying to get over on the gas company. And your gunna charge them to look up receipts also. Your what's wrong with this country. Everyone's trying to stick it in someone else and trying to make a free buck. You should be ashamed to do what you are doin......jmo
The Following User Says Thank You to wills fresh coat For This Useful Post:
johnny949 (01-25-2013)
Old 01-25-2013, 07:54 AM   #8

If he uses this stuff day in and day out who would be happy that the GAS co shut of the wrong gas meter, I would do the same this is not his fault at all it is all on the gas co. I bet if it was you you would be trying to atleast get the paint replaced, as for charging to look up the estimates if he can get paid for that by all means go for it, he has to look up receipts meaning he is loosing time from a paying job. When I lost my heat yesterday I keep my sprayers in the basement and I would have gone after my landlord for replacement if any thing happened to them over $3,000 in sprayers I would loose it.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:59 AM   #9
Paint Store Owner

Thanked 2,975 Times in 1,797 Posts
View NCPaint1's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdpainting View Post
If he uses this stuff day in and day out who would be happy that the GAS co shut of the wrong gas meter, I would do the same this is not his fault at all it is all on the gas co. I bet if it was you you would be trying to atleast get the paint replaced, as for charging to look up the estimates if he can get paid for that by all means go for it, he has to look up receipts meaning he is loosing time from a paying job. When I lost my heat yesterday I keep my sprayers in the basement and I would have gone after my landlord for replacement if any thing happened to them over $3,000 in sprayers I would loose it.
If that's the case, go and repurchase every item exactly that's damaged and hand over the receipt.

Don't just stick your hand out for a check.

www.northcromwellpaint.com
Old 01-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Wow I guess your another one. I'm not sure how long you have been painting but when paint freezes on me I just thaw it out shake it and use it, never had a problem. It don't happen often but I have done it a few times. As far as sprayers mine freeze all the time, I let thaw and they keep on goin. And no I wouldn't try to rip off the gas company if this happened to me
Old 01-25-2013, 08:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPaint1 View Post
If that's the case, go and repurchase every item exactly that's damaged and hand over the receipt.

Don't just stick your hand out for a check.
That won't happen, it's easier to just to ripoff the gass company for another $800
Old 01-25-2013, 08:12 AM   #12

NC no matter how he does it it takes time from paying jobs to get that all taken care of, I do not know if he has a crew or is a 1 man show, if he is a small outfit that takes time away the job he is on and puts him behind. it costs in the long run no matter how this is looked at. Plus the gas co could dispute some of the bill he hands them and they may settle on a fair price.

wills I have been painting for over 18yrs. I paid well over 2 grand for 1 sprayer and sorry frozen water in an aluminum housing is not good I will not even consider taking a chance on it freezing. And no I am not another one of those sue happy people, plus I do not keep any left over paint except flat white which is a gallon or 2 and keep those at my brothers in his basement. Again the gas co dropped the ball.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #13
Paint to fish

Thanked 3,786 Times in 2,097 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

Usually paint once frozen never returns to liquid, espcially if frozen solid. Thick cottage cheese is the result sometimes. Other times a solid block of latex.
The Following User Says Thank You to DeanV For This Useful Post:
playedout6 (01-25-2013)
Old 01-25-2013, 08:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wills fresh coat View Post
As far as sprayers mine freeze all the time, I let thaw and they keep on goin.
You must have a HD chepo sprayer other wise if you spent real money on one you would never let it freeze.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:19 AM   #15

Quote:
NC no matter how he does it it takes time from paying jobs to get that all taken care of, I do not know if he has a crew or is a 1 man show, if he is a small outfit that takes time away the job he is on and puts him behind. it costs in the long run no matter how this is looked at. Plus the gas co could dispute some of the bill he hands them and they may settle on a fair price.

wills I have been painting for over 18yrs. I paid well over 2 grand for 1 sprayer and sorry frozen water in an aluminum housing is not good I will not even consider taking a chance on it freezing. And no I am not another one of those sue happy people, plus I do not keep any left over paint except flat white which is a gallon or 2 and keep those at my brothers in his basement. Again the gas co dropped the ball.
They did drop the ball your right, but I think he should try to use the paint and not just go book another vacation on the gas co. dime. That's all I'm sayin
Old 01-25-2013, 08:22 AM   #16

With the temps we have had this week I bet those cans were frozen solid, it is no good now.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:24 AM   #17
Paint to fish

Thanked 3,786 Times in 2,097 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

If you were around recently fresh coat, you would member that Ramsden just cleaned out his shop of excess paint and this is the stuff he uses. We do condo work as well and have thousands of $$$ in paint on our shelves that is important to keep.

Very few frozen pairs are good to use again if they froze solid.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:36 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanV View Post
If you were around recently fresh coat, you would member that Ramsden just cleaned out his shop of excess paint and this is the stuff he uses. We do condo work as well and have thousands of $$$ in paint on our shelves that is important to keep.

I see a bunch of left over junk that we all have. We all bring back those partially full cans from jobs and tell ourselves that we will use them one day but it never happens. As far as the condo paint he has I didn't see a pic of that, I hope he took lids off and took pics of the paint frozen solid cause if not he may not get a dime
Old 01-25-2013, 09:38 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanV

Here is a gal I just found in the van. I will thaw it an use it
Attached Thumbnails
Frozen paint.. Oh no-image-3387985494.jpg   Frozen paint.. Oh no-image-4213118293.jpg  
Old 01-25-2013, 09:39 AM   #20

wills I am glad that's not being used on my job site or in my house.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cdpainting For This Useful Post:
Andyman (01-25-2013), daArch (01-26-2013), Delta Painting (01-26-2013), playedout6 (01-25-2013), ROOMINADAY (01-25-2013)
Closed Thread