CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Supplies and Equipment

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 16
Rewards Points: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
View kocur228's Photo Album My Photos
Default Graco ProX9 Magnum are they any good?

I bought a Magnum ProX9 Graco paint sprayer , are they any good ? Has any of you had any dealings with them in the past ?

kocur228 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-25-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
.
 
Workaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Huntsville Alabama
Posts: 17,596
Rewards Points: 2,038
Thanks: 5,978
Thanked 6,464 Times in 4,346 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos
Default

It will be alright for some lighter use, personally i would of gone with at least the 390 because some materials might be to thick for that rig and you might have to weaken the product by thinning it.

It is an occasional use sprayer that is geared more towards home owners and non full time painters. Make sure you take as good of care of it as you can so it will last you as long as it can.

Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:02 PM   #3
Paint Store Owner
 
NCPaint1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,550
Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanks: 1,374
Thanked 2,976 Times in 1,797 Posts
View NCPaint1's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
It will be alright for some lighter use, personally i would of gone with at least the 390 because some materials might be to thick for that rig and you might have to weaken the product by thinning it.

It is an occasional use sprayer that is geared more towards home owners and non full time painters. Make sure you take as good of care of it as you can so it will last you as long as it can.
Sean, I have to disagree with you somewhat here. I sell the ASM line ( same as Graco, different label ) They are great pumps for most residential painters. I didnt like them at first when they came out. I thought that they were cheap and wouldnt last. I sold my first one 5 years ago and it's still going strong. They have very few parts, and are easy to fix, you can even repack on the job in about 10 minutes. They will spray most interior and exterior products. You will want to stay away from lacquer with this pump though. The suction tube ( part that goes in the paint ) can weaken from hot solvents like lacquer.

The disadvantages

* No heavy material
* Lower output volume.....meaning you may be waiting on the pump to catch up to you
* No hot solvents
* No long hoses
__________________
Benjamin Moore, PPG, Sikkens, TWP, Wood Defender, Airless Sales and Service

www.northcromwellpaint.com
NCPaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:03 PM   #4
.
 
Workaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Huntsville Alabama
Posts: 17,596
Rewards Points: 2,038
Thanks: 5,978
Thanked 6,464 Times in 4,346 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPaint1 View Post
The suction tube ( part that goes in the paint ) can weaken from hot solvents like lacquer.

The disadvantages

* No heavy material
* Lower output volume.....meaning you may be waiting on the pump to catch up to you
* No hot solvents
* No long hoses
All big negatives to me.

What I really meant to express is that they are not meant for daily/weekly use. They are pretty light on the gpm's and if you wanted to use it for spraying ceilings/walls on a regular basis you will be really hearing the pump struggle. Alright for trim use I imagine where the pump is able to not cycle as fast and work as hard.

They have their uses but I still see them as being not the best rig for the money. Upping the budget by 2-3 hundred dollars will get you a better rig that will last long IMO.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:57 PM   #5
VOC Test Dummy
 
brushmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gresham, Oregon
Posts: 426
Rewards Points: 250
Thanks: 405
Thanked 183 Times in 122 Posts
View brushmonkey's Photo Album My Photos
Default

You must be starting a fleet , didn't you just get a 390 also? Its definitely for lightweight use. I think the Magnum line is primarily for HO,s I mostly see them in Hoe Depot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kocur228 View Post
I bought a Magnum ProX9 Graco paint sprayer , are they any good ? Has any of you had any dealings with them in the past ?
brushmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:08 PM   #6
.
 
Workaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Huntsville Alabama
Posts: 17,596
Rewards Points: 2,038
Thanks: 5,978
Thanked 6,464 Times in 4,346 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushmonkey View Post
You must be starting a fleet , didn't you just get a 390 also? Its definitely for lightweight use. I think the Magnum line is primarily for HO,s I mostly see them in Hoe Depot.
He does seem to be starting a fleet of light weight rigs. 290, 390 and now a Xr-9.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:57 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 16
Rewards Points: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
View kocur228's Photo Album My Photos
Default

No i got that prox 9 last year and it has been sitting in my basement , when i saw a good deal on that 390 i got it , I think I,m happy with the 390 but i think i'm gonna sell the prox 9 , just wondering how good it is , I think the guy at home depot talked me into it . Thats why I'm on here now so that I can learn something . I appreciate all the info you guys have shared . I got the proX 9 to paint my moms house for her I thought it would have done the job ,but now i have been thinking long term .
kocur228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:28 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 10
Rewards Points: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
View Monroe's Photo Album My Photos
Default

The Pro X line is for the home owner/weekend warrior.

The 390 pump is the same as the rental 230 pump.

It is a good pump and you can make a living with it.

If you are spraying more than a thousand gallons a year, I'd give some serious consideration to a larger unit.

An example would be a used (value) Airlessco 540 from a Home Depot tool rental. It will run 300' of hose, a *27 tip and 300' of 10ga extension cord. It is easy to rebuild and puts out over half a gallon a minute through a 517 tip.

Monroe
Graco/Airlessco
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:46 PM   #9
Paint Store Owner
 
NCPaint1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,550
Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanks: 1,374
Thanked 2,976 Times in 1,797 Posts
View NCPaint1's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
The Pro X line is for the home owner/weekend warrior.

The 390 pump is the same as the rental 230 pump.

It is a good pump and you can make a living with it.

If you are spraying more than a thousand gallons a year, I'd give some serious consideration to a larger unit.

An example would be a used (value) Airlessco 540 from a Home Depot tool rental. It will run 300' of hose, a *27 tip and 300' of 10ga extension cord. It is easy to rebuild and puts out over half a gallon a minute through a 517 tip.

Monroe
Graco/Airlessco
+1 on the airlessco. By far my favorite pump series out there. Although its one of the tougher pumps to rebuild for a novice.

__________________
Benjamin Moore, PPG, Sikkens, TWP, Wood Defender, Airless Sales and Service

www.northcromwellpaint.com
NCPaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Graco RAC x 12-27 tip johnpaint General Painting Discussion 11 10-12-2009 03:05 AM
Good Graco pdf johnpaint General Painting Discussion 10 09-01-2009 07:59 PM
Spray pattern issue with Graco Magnum Rawhide Tools, Supplies and Equipment 11 09-29-2008 09:48 PM
Graco Magnum DX Spray problems seversonspainting Tools, Supplies and Equipment 6 08-25-2008 01:20 AM
Graco Magnum XR7 Philly Painter General Painting Discussion 5 02-27-2008 11:38 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2007-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | ElectricianTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com