So much for not spending this year. - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Supplies and Equipment

Like Tree10Likes

Old 03-15-2017, 12:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 942
Thanked 4,503 Times in 2,839 Posts
View cdpainting's Photo Album My Photos
Default So much for not spending this year.

We are thinking more and more about getting the Festool Planex with the CT36 self cleaning vacuum. I think it will be well worth the 2 grand investment. We are also going to pick up 2 smaller hepa vacuum's. The CT SYS and CT Mini. Around 3 grand all said and done.

Planex:
http://www.festoolusa.com/power-tool...-sander-571579

Vacuum:
http://www.festoolusa.com/power-tool...tractor-584014

CT SYS:
http://www.festoolusa.com/power-tool...-ct-sys-584174

CT Mini:
http://www.festoolusa.com/power-tool...tractor-574786
Workaholic likes this.
cdpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2017, 12:37 PM   #2
PRC

Rewards Points: 42
View PRC's Photo Album My Photos

What are you planning to use the planex for?
PRC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:59 PM   #3
RH

Rewards Points: 11,254
Thanked 14,638 Times in 7,497 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Don't know anything about the CT SYS but it seems pretty small and not I'm sure where it might be a benefit.

Concerning the Mini; though I am sure they exist, I have yet to hear of anyone being glad they bought one of those whereas I've heard from quite a few who purchased one and then expressed regret that they didn't get a Midi instead. Personally, I have found the Midi to be the perfect balance between functionality and size/weight.
cdpainting likes this.

John Goodman - "Arachnophobia"

Last edited by RH; 03-15-2017 at 01:09 PM..
RH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2017, 01:07 PM   #4
King Dude

Rewards Points: 176
Thanked 4,779 Times in 2,680 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

Im with RH, the CT SYS looks like a waste you cant even adjust the suction with it. The mini is okay I guess but it requires a dedicated hose because the end going into the unit is different.

The Planex is the cats meow as long as you use it enough to justify the investment.
Rbriggs82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:05 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 4
Thanked 3,596 Times in 1,815 Posts
View Jmayspaint's Photo Album My Photos

I'm planning on upgrading to a Planex this spring also, the PC 7800 is getting old and now sports about half a roll of duct tape on the hoses.

We mainly use it for wall prep on repaints and patch sanding. Considering that, I don't think I need the special self cleaning vac. Isn't that designed for bulk drywall sanding where there is a lot of dust? I'm thinking my regular CT 26 can handle the Planex just fine for our purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:39 PM   #6
kmp

Rewards Points: 1,122
View kmp's Photo Album My Photos

I know alot of people here love festool but I don't do enough drywall sanding to justify that kind of money for a sander. I have a dustless tech. hepa vac that i like that was pretty pricey. I hate sanding drywall and am glad to live in an area where there is very little smooth drywall.
kmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:23 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 676
View ridesarize's Photo Album My Photos

I saw a planex, vac and harness set the other day for cheap online somewhere, probably sold. But I pulled these up easily.

Planex: 650 used:
https://us.letgo.com/en/i/festool-dr...8-ee005553b508

Planex + CT 36 A/C obo 1800, I'd offer much less.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Festool-planex...193?nav=SEARCH

1800 New
Http://m.ebay.com/itm/Festool-LHS-22...407?nav=SEARCH
Workaholic likes this.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
Don't know anything about the CT SYS but it seems pretty small and not I'm sure where it might be a benefit.

Concerning the Mini; though I am sure they exist, I have yet to hear of anyone being glad they bought one of those whereas I've heard from quite a few who purchased one and then expressed regret that they didn't get a Midi instead. Personally, I have found the Midi to be the perfect balance between functionality and size/weight.
We want the mini because of it's size. As or the SYS for those annoying little touch ups most vacs are overkill for. I wouldn't plan on using either of these all day, they couldn't handle it.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRC View Post
What are you planning to use the planex for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmayspaint View Post
I'm planning on upgrading to a Planex this spring also, the PC 7800 is getting old and now sports about half a roll of duct tape on the hoses.

We mainly use it for wall prep on repaints and patch sanding. Considering that, I don't think I need the special self cleaning vac. Isn't that designed for bulk drywall sanding where there is a lot of dust? I'm thinking my regular CT 26 can handle the Planex just fine for our purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We sand all of our walls and this would be faster than any other methods on bigger homes. Plus we get those texture/popcorn removal calls.

A CT 26 or bigger could handle this for just sanding for prep. Once you get into sanding drywall or texture they say you need the self cleaner other wise it's bound to clogging the filter.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:48 PM   #10

okay check this out it's the CT 36 with auto clean, and Planex with harness and extra bags and extra paper

https://medford.craigslist.org/tls/6014914064.html

Its in Oregon though. RH would have to buy it and give it to you for an Easter present.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridesarize View Post
okay check this out it's the CT 36 with auto clean, and Planex with harness and extra bags and extra paper

Its in Oregon though. RH would have to buy it and give it to you for an Easter present.
For the planex and ct 36 self clean its actually just under 2 grand. The harness I talked the store into tossing it in for free.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:33 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,408
View woodcoyote's Photo Album My Photos

Excellent system.

We don't do enough drywall to justify the planex, even though it's a tool on my list of things to eventually get. I'm a technology and tool guy, so anything I can get my hands on to help jobs move faster is going to be bought at some point in time.

You'll need a vacuum that can:

1. Keep up with air flow, CFM is important when drywall sanding.

2. Some sort of filtration system with auto clean filters. I wouldn't even think about buying a vac that didn't have auto-clean filter system built-in. The dust generated from drywall sanding is huge, especially when you throw in what is basically a large orbital sander. The regular filters will clog and you'll have a mess on your hands cleaning filters all the time. Whatever you capture will come right back out, once you have to clean one.

We do floor grinding from time to time (have one to do next week) and we don't have an auto-cleaner. Makes a darn mess all over the place, have to clean filters outside and it's a drag on production.

The other thing to if I remember right Festool will usually pair their vac systems with the tool. So go based of that.

I know it's going to need a lot of suction because the info videos explain the weight load is transferred to the wall via suction, reducing the user's fatigue and that means you'll need pulling power from your vac.

If you do get it...let us know if it's worth it (pros/cons).

Good luck!
woodcoyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:33 AM   #13

Quote:

Looking these up used people are asking the new price or more. Because of the warranty we are buying new only.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:58 AM   #14
PRC

Rewards Points: 42
View PRC's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdpainting View Post
We sand all of our walls and this would be faster than any other methods on bigger homes. Plus we get those texture/popcorn removal calls.

A CT 26 or bigger could handle this for just sanding for prep. Once you get into sanding drywall or texture they say you need the self cleaner other wise it's bound to clogging the filter.
FWIW 3 years ago we bought the planex, harness and extension. It was for a specific project and more then paid for itself but since then it rarely gets used. I thought we'd be sanding walls (after primer or repaints) all the time with it. After a few projects we went back to pole sanders. It was bulky and tired people out faster. The paper also clogs fast, even on slow speed, so you find yourself flicking the buildup off it after every wall. Believe it or not it actually slowed down the sanding process.
At this point It gets used about once a year.
Hopefully you'll have a better experience than me and if you get a good system down then I'd like to hear about it.

Last edited by PRC; 03-16-2017 at 07:08 AM..
PRC is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PRC For This Useful Post:
cdpainting (03-16-2017), ridesarize (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 02:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRC View Post
FWIW 3 years ago we bought the planex, harness and extension. It was for a specific project and more then paid for itself but since then it rarely gets used. I thought we'd be sanding walls (after primer or repaints) all the time with it. After a few projects we went back to pole sanders. It was bulky and tired people out faster. The paper also clogs fast, even on slow speed, so you find yourself flicking the buildup off it after every wall. Believe it or not it actually slowed down the sanding process.
At this point It gets used about once a year.
Hopefully you'll have a better experience than me and if you get a good system down then I'd like to hear about it.
I can't let Carly see this post I have heard mixed reviews, some say they use it all the time, others say after a few uses it sits in the box until a big job comes along. We are going to be bidding on a 18k sqft home in the next week and think this will speed uop sanding atleast in bigger homes.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdpainting View Post
I can't let Carly see this post I have heard mixed reviews, some say they use it all the time, others say after a few uses it sits in the box until a big job comes along. We are going to be bidding on a 18k sqft home in the next week and think this will speed uop sanding atleast in bigger homes.
Even it's not needed all the time, when you have a bunch of hotmud skimming sand out, (and many other tasks ) it would be a major confidence booster and shoulder saver, to have use of it.

I totally hear ya about the items available on the used market. I was bored, and check on what's for sale often. I also have been trying to sell the idea of buying festool, to my friends so I keep tellng them when I see a deal on a midi or an ETS 125..

I support my local paint store, and festool retailer, just jumped on the chance to buy my dts400 req today. Grabbed 2 100 packs of paper and a sys3 to upgrade my other systainer for my ro150. So my only chance to get these today was I just got paid and I'll try to pay all my bills after the purchase, lol. I've spent more on tools then I've made this year it seems. Time to catch up, I will, things are happening now..,
Figured I'd just post some festool stuff so others can see that there's an option for people who can use the littlle bit older units, they usually work great still.

There's a sale on l3tg0 dot com for a kapex chop saw, kapex mft table, and midi... for a price that's too good to be true. But if you're local ya go check it out and bam 900 bucks for all three.
cdpainting likes this.

Last edited by ridesarize; 03-16-2017 at 10:03 PM..
ridesarize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:37 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 2,428
Thanked 6,695 Times in 4,450 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Festool holds its value for resell, but imo most of the time because of this buying new is usually better unless the slight savings is compensated with bags and paper and other accessories.

Planex is topnotch for drywall sanding as far as sanding painted walls for prep the prep quality will be great, but more than likely due to being tethered with cord and hose to the vac the production will be slower in an occupied building.

From my perspective with drywall tools compound tubes, boxes, corner rollers, flushers, and automatic taping tools come before Planex.

I have wanted a Planex for sometime, but not being a full time drywall guy I keep using the PC or the smaller sanders for small stuff, but I have looked into a Giraffe as well.

Congrats on the future purchase CD I hope you find ways to make it a productive and fruitful purchase.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:40 AM   #18

Rewards Points: 2,428
Thanked 6,695 Times in 4,450 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

There's a sale on l3tg0 dot com for a kapex chop saw, kapex mft table, and midi... for a price that's too good to be true. But if you're local ya go check it out and bam 900 bucks for all three.
That deal does sound too good to be true. If it's local to you it might be worth checking out.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:07 AM   #19

We are getting the Planex next week as well as the mini. Going to pass for now on the self cleaning van and the SYS.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:10 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
Festool holds its value for resell, but imo most of the time because of this buying new is usually better unless the slight savings is compensated with bags and paper and other accessories.

Planex is topnotch for drywall sanding as far as sanding painted walls for prep the prep quality will be great, but more than likely due to being tethered with cord and hose to the vac the production will be slower in an occupied building.

From my perspective with drywall tools compound tubes, boxes, corner rollers, flushers, and automatic taping tools come before Planex.

I have wanted a Planex for sometime, but not being a full time drywall guy I keep using the PC or the smaller sanders for small stuff, but I have looked into a Giraffe as well.

Congrats on the future purchase CD I hope you find ways to make it a productive and fruitful purchase.
We are bidding on a large home and will be including drywall sanding. I hope we get this one sort of, 1.5 hour drive each way.
Workaholic likes this.