Any Guitar Players Here? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Paint Talk Community > Off Topic (Non Trade)

Like Tree19Likes

Old 11-11-2015, 03:56 PM   #1
King Dude

Rewards Points: 176
Thanked 4,779 Times in 2,680 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos
Default Any Guitar Players Here?

I've always wanted to learn the guitar so about a week ago I took out my acoustic I bought 10yrs ago but never got around to using and decided to give it a go. My question for any experienced players is, how did you learn to play? Did you take lessons, or just figure it out on your own, if so what did you do?
Rbriggs82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2015, 05:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,058
Thanked 1,003 Times in 640 Posts
View kdpaint's Photo Album My Photos

I picked it up in high school. I did get some lessons, but mostly just played along with music I liked. So many tutorials online now, that's how I would go. Learn some simple songs you like to start, then go from there.
kdpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kdpaint For This Useful Post:
Rbriggs82 (11-11-2015)
Old 11-11-2015, 06:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 556
View LA Painter's Photo Album My Photos

I’ve been playing since the the early 70’s. Bands, records, tours, rock & roll dreams... not so much.

I learned to play by ear old school style by slowing down records with my fingers and trying to pick out the notes. Since it was also about 10 octaves lower, it was a real challenge.

Now days if I want to learn a new song, I just go to YouTube. There are lesson videos for just about every song you can imagine. Some are good, and some suck, but it’s a great way to learn. Wish I had it when I was a kid.

LA Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LA Painter For This Useful Post:
Rbriggs82 (11-11-2015), slinger58 (11-11-2015)

Old 11-11-2015, 07:07 PM   #4
King Dude

I've got 6 cords down pat so far. Changing between them in a timely manner is proving to be a challenge. I gotta put in the time and develop some muscle memory.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
Jason@API likes this.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:24 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,216
Thanked 9,192 Times in 5,104 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Check out ultimateguitar.com for song, tab, and chord sheets. They have a pretty extensive archive. Recently, I've been trying to learn some Eagles songs.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:21 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 284
Thanked 5,614 Times in 2,981 Posts
View slinger58's Photo Album My Photos

Lessons from a good teacher would great. My dad taught me the basic first position chords when I was in elementary school. I played basic rhythm for awhile after that. Much later in life, I took lessons from a great teacher and that's when I learned the most. If you can find the right teacher with a passion for music, it will be money well spent.

Imagine trying to learn how to paint through nothing but internet videos and books. You'll get there eventually, but you can get there better and quicker with some lessons from a pro.
CApainter (11-11-2015)
Old 11-11-2015, 09:06 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 220
Thanked 2,299 Times in 1,190 Posts
View SemiproJohn's Photo Album My Photos

I've played drums since the age of 11. I never had a problem with understanding time signatures. That being said, I did try to learn the guitar. I picked up about 6 chords. I could never do a bar chord worth a flip, and never understood the "mathematics" of the fret board. The circle of fifths, pentatonic scales, phrygian modes...way, way beyond my intellectual capabilities.

I think, to an extent anyway, certain people "get it" and most never do. I would think a really good teacher, in addition to you tube tutorials, tablatures, etc. would increase your chances of getting farther with the guitar than just G, C, D, and a couple of other basic chords. Good luck, and I hope you have success.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:15 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 126
View canopainting's Photo Album My Photos

Using a metronome while you practice is really useful too.
Jason@API likes this.
canopainting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to canopainting For This Useful Post:
CApainter (11-12-2015), Delta Painting (11-12-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 06:53 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,068
Thanked 3,971 Times in 2,071 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

I was a monster on Guitar Hero. Real guitars, couldn't do a single damn thing with them. I've always wanted to play the drums. Until I got the drum kit for guitar hero. Again, I realized I'm so horribly uncoordinated it was painful to even try.

I've accepted the fact that I'm not a musician. Although I did make it to the All Star band in grade school playing the tuba, in spite of the fact that I couldn't read a note of music off a page and faked it the whole way.
SemiproJohn (11-12-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 08:07 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,132
View Delta Painting's Photo Album My Photos

I have played guitar since was 11 I am 50 now. If you take the time to learn it will reward you with a life time of enjoyment. For me now it's a spiritual thing that relieves stress clears my mind and just makes life easier to deal with.
Find other people to play with it will teach you more than anything about music. Most want to learn guitar to impress others with flashy solos and other tricks.Learn to be a good rhythm player the solos will follow if you know the songs rhythm inside out the other stuff will come to you like magic. And remember you get out what you put in...
CApainter (11-12-2015), Rbriggs82 (11-12-2015), SemiproJohn (11-12-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 02:48 PM   #11
King Dude

How long does it take for your fingers to stop hurting? After about 15mins of practice I have to stop or it feels like they are gonna bleed.

Jason@API likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rbriggs82 For This Useful Post:
Delta Painting (11-12-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 04:57 PM   #12
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,335 Times in 10,140 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Painting View Post
I have played guitar since was 11 I am 50 now. If you take the time to learn it will reward you with a life time of enjoyment. For me now it's a spiritual thing that relieves stress clears my mind and just makes life easier to deal with.
Find other people to play with it will teach you more than anything about music. Most want to learn guitar to impress others with flashy solos and other tricks.Learn to be a good rhythm player the solos will follow if you know the songs rhythm inside out the other stuff will come to you like magic. And remember you get out what you put in...

First, I am not musically inclined, but I think having other artistic outlets, I can relate.

In retirement, I have come to a realization that my life has been spent trying to impress/please others. I think it happens in most work environments. As painters and paperhangers, we all have a lot of artistic talents, yet, we are not allowed to "express ourselves" freely. We are always trying, ultimately, to satisfy someone else.

I have finally realized that this has been also true of my other artistic outlets. I have too often been trying to "create" with the mindset of pleasing an unseen audience. THAT is not "art".

So I absolutely agree, learning a musical instrument should be about pleasing oneself. NOT trying to impress others.

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daArch For This Useful Post:
Delta Painting (11-12-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 05:04 PM   #13
King Dude

At this point in my life I have no one to impress. Now when I was on the prowl in college playing the guitar could have come in pretty handy.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:11 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 220
Thanked 2,299 Times in 1,190 Posts
View SemiproJohn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by daArch View Post
First, I am not musically inclined, but I think having other artistic outlets, I can relate.

In retirement, I have come to a realization that my life has been spent trying to impress/please others. I think it happens in most work environments. As painters and paperhangers, we all have a lot of artistic talents, yet, we are not allowed to "express ourselves" freely. We are always trying, ultimately, to satisfy someone else.

I have finally realized that this has been also true of my other artistic outlets. I have too often been trying to "create" with the mindset of pleasing an unseen audience. THAT is not "art".

So I absolutely agree, learning a musical instrument should be about pleasing oneself. NOT trying to impress others.

It took me many years to come to this conclusion. Now that I don't give a rat's a@# what others think/feel about my playing ability, I've enjoyed drumming more than at anytime in the past when I was constantly worried about what others thought.

And I also agree that playing with others accelerates learning quite like nothing else. Keeping a steady tempo and, even better, using the "big ears" to play in an appropriate, synchronous way to what the other musicians are doing is enhanced in a group setting.
daArch (11-12-2015), Delta Painting (11-12-2015), Rbriggs82 (11-12-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 05:22 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 4
Thanked 3,600 Times in 1,819 Posts
View Jmayspaint's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbriggs82 View Post
At this point in my life I have no one to impress. Now when I was on the prowl in college playing the guitar could have come in pretty handy.

That was probably my main motivation to learn to play. Early 20's, single, seemed like a good way to meet chicks and it was. My wife is actually the sister of a band mate from back in the day. That and I enjoyed the intense technical challenge of it.

I did have a head start musically having learned piano and trombone as a kid. The technical part of it still took years and btw it will likely take several months to develop proper calluses on your fingertips. After that you can play for hours without pain. Until then, don't push it too hard or you Will bleed and not be able to play for a while.

What helped me a lot was to pick some difficult songs that I really liked and master them. Under The Bridge, and the rest of that Red Hot Chili Peppers album was my favorite guitar music at the time. Took over a year to learn Under The Bridge, it's insanely complex but very rewarding.

Get to know tablature. Being able to sight read music is handy, but not totally necessary for guitar. It just takes practice, practice, practice. And motivation of course. Good luck with it.

What kind of stuff are you interested in playing?
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
Delta Painting (11-12-2015), I paint paint (11-12-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 05:41 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 1,132
View Delta Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
How long does it take for your fingers to stop hurting? After about 15mins of practice I have to stop or it feels like they are gonna bleed.

lol... They will get better in a week or so...Keep going if they are hurting that means you are either playing a lot good thing. Or you are gripping to tight a lot of new players tend to do this relax try to just touch the stings to get a good clean note ringing out you will get it the more you play. I dunno what music you want to play but this cat can help you learn a lot and it's free..

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...marty+schwartz

Bill,

I agree about the trying to please others can hold one back for development with the creative out let like music or any hobbies. Being business people that is kinda burned in to our brains. Go above and beyond what the customers expectations are kinda things toss around the business community among others.
It took a long time before I was able to just let go and not care what people thought of my playing but once I did man the music Gods must have been pleased cuz they opened a improvise mode in me that takes me to a meditative state with no sense of the world around me. The connection with the other players is the spiritual church of my faith...

Last edited by Delta Painting; 11-12-2015 at 05:47 PM..
Delta Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Delta Painting For This Useful Post:
daArch (11-13-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 06:36 PM   #17
King Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Painting View Post
lol... They will get better in a week or so...Keep going if they are hurting that means you are either playing a lot good thing. Or you are gripping to tight a lot of new players tend to do this relax try to just touch the stings to get a good clean note ringing out you will get it the more you play. I dunno what music you want to play but this cat can help you learn a lot and it's free..

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...marty+schwartz

Bill,

I agree about the trying to please others can hold one back for development with the creative out let like music or any hobbies. Being business people that is kinda burned in to our brains. Go above and beyond what the customers expectations are kinda things toss around the business community among others.
It took a long time before I was able to just let go and not care what people thought of my playing but once I did man the music Gods must have been pleased cuz they opened a improvise mode in me that takes me to a meditative state with no sense of the world around me. The connection with the other players is the spiritual church of my faith...
That dude is awesome, thank you!

I'm down for learning almost any type of music. I love classic rock and being a kid from the 90's Alternative is close to my heart. In more recent years I've taken a big liking to newer country music as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rbriggs82 For This Useful Post:
Delta Painting (11-13-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 10:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Your fingers will get use to it over time. It’s just anything else.

If your guitar is “off the shelf”, you might want to look into having a professional “set-up” done. This is where they adjust the neck and bridge to get the strings as close to the neck as possible - making it much easier to play.

When I first started I used electric strings on my acoustic. The thinner gauge makes it much easier to play - but not as full sounding.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Your fingers will get use to it over time. It’s just like anything else.

If your guitar is “off the shelf”, you might want to look into having a professional “set-up” done. This is where they adjust the neck and bridge to get the strings as close to the neck as possible - making it much easier to play.

When I first started I used electric strings on my acoustic. The thinner gauge makes it much easier to play - but not as full sounding.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:19 PM   #20
King Dude

Just went an bought a Takamine acoustic lefty guitar the eg340c to be exact. The crappy one I have now was a righty that I switched the strings around on. It just doesn't sound right and the strings are really high off the frets which I think is making learning that much harder. It comes in on Wednesday, I'm excited!
Jason@API likes this.