We all might as well close shop! - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Paint Talk Community > Off Topic (Non Trade)

Like Tree11Likes

Old 01-31-2017, 10:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 806
Thanked 4,122 Times in 2,703 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos
Default We all might as well close shop!

Bad news everybody! Consumer Reports has published a special edition that's all about paint. How to paint, recommended paint from their "pros", how to save $$$$ at the paint store......... we all might as well just close up and hit the bricks!

"Screw you guys! I'm going home!" Cartmann
PACman is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2017, 10:33 AM   #2

They so thoughtfully printed a list of "expert exterior paint job costs" so you all don't have to worry about price quotes anymore! Isn't that nice of them? For example, the average professional exterior paint job in Chicago is a whole $2,330.00! Damn I bet you guys can make some serious bank at that price!

And there is but one measly mention of California and not one at all of Pratt & Lambert. I feel so disrespected!

Old 01-31-2017, 11:34 AM   #3
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 5,260
Thanked 5,027 Times in 2,723 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

I can't wait to see this issue. It am sure it will be very helpful to all of us.....
PACman likes this.
DeanV is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2017, 11:40 AM   #4
RH

Rewards Points: 10,516
Thanked 14,478 Times in 7,390 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Oh goodie. We can now all eagerly look forward to HOs telling us what paint we should use and how much we should be charging.
PACman likes this.

John Goodman - "Arachnophobia"
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
chrisn (01-31-2017), ReNt A PaInTeR (02-01-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 12:51 PM   #5

they actually have a page where they tell consumers what to look for in a roller cover. The only cover they mention and show is a "Pro-select" cover from Dollar general for $1.00! How's that for integrity?

Old 01-31-2017, 01:45 PM   #6
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 5,260
Thanked 5,027 Times in 2,723 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

Did they by chance recommend Kelly Moore paint? I just had a customer request it even though I am in MI and Missouri is the closest dealer.
DeanV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanV View Post
Did they by chance recommend Kelly Moore paint? I just had a customer request it even though I am in MI and Missouri is the closest dealer.
Hell no! Kelly Moore would bump all the box store brands off the list! It's too good to be in that "magazine"! You won't find Kelly Moore too many places outside of the Northwest US and into California/Arizona.

Old 02-03-2017, 05:13 PM   #8
It is what it is.

Rewards Points: 506
Thanked 8,366 Times in 4,244 Posts
View Schmidt & Co.'s Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman View Post
They so thoughtfully printed a list of "expert exterior paint job costs" so you all don't have to worry about price quotes anymore! Isn't that nice of them? For example, the average professional exterior paint job in Chicago is a whole $2,330.00! Damn I bet you guys can make some serious bank at that price!

And there is but one measly mention of California and not one at all of Pratt & Lambert. I feel so disrespected!
Keep in mind that most houses here in Chicago are brick. (I can't believe I'm agreeing with CR) So a typical house here has eaves, windows and doors to paint and that's about it.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidt & Co. View Post
Keep in mind that most houses here in Chicago are brick. (I can't believe I'm agreeing with CR) So a typical house here has eaves, windows and doors to paint and that's about it.
Oh they have pricing for plenty of other markets as well! I just picked Chicago because it was kinda in the middle. For example St. Louis it's $1,770. LA-$3,990. They don't have a price for Idaho for some reason.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:08 AM   #10

I was reading this CR after I closed yesterday and was doing my "other" business, and read in there that Ben Moore Grand Entrance is $25 a gallon! Is that correct? Or is it just another example of Consumer Reports inconsistency?

Old 02-04-2017, 09:23 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 716
Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,021 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I was reading this CR after I closed yesterday and was doing my "other" business, and read in there that Ben Moore Grand Entrance is $25 a gallon! Is that correct? Or is it just another example of Consumer Reports inconsistency?
I thought that stuff was gonna go for something like $50 a quart? I also seem to remember them mentioning is wasn't being sold in gallons.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbill7145 View Post
I thought that stuff was gonna go for something like $50 a quart? I also seem to remember them mentioning is wasn't being sold in gallons.
my point exactly. If they can't get that simple bit of information correct, how in the hell can you trust them with a paint test? And if they are recommending that people use a $1 roller cover from Dollar General, what kind of integrity do they have. Unfortunately what is so obvious to us is completely missed by the masses!

Old 02-04-2017, 03:30 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 600
Thanked 9,092 Times in 5,036 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
my point exactly. If they can't get that simple bit of information correct, how in the hell can you trust them with a paint test? And if they are recommending that people use a $1 roller cover from Dollar General, what kind of integrity do they have. Unfortunately what is so obvious to us is completely missed by the masses!
I guess I'm just an eternal optimist, but how is this consumer publication not a tremendous boost to the painting industry? I mean, there will be people who'll attempt to paint, or have painting done based on the information they've received from the publication, that will eventually be calling a professional painter.

The more consumer groups and retail paint stores push painting as fun for the whole family, the more secure my job becomes.
Rbriggs82, Wildbill7145 and PRC like this.
Gymschu (02-04-2017), Wildbill7145 (02-04-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 03:44 PM   #14
King Dude

Rewards Points: 158
Thanked 4,744 Times in 2,659 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CApainter View Post
I guess I'm just an eternal optimist, but how is this consumer publication not a tremendous boost to the painting industry? I mean, there will be people who'll attempt to paint, or have painting done based on the information they've received from the publication, that will eventually be calling a professional painter.

The more consumer groups and retail paint stores push painting as fun for the whole family, the more secure my job becomes.
I'm with ya CA. Mr. HO can have at it with his Behr paint and dollar store roller sleeve. I'm just a phone call away to bail them out.
Wildbill7145 likes this.
Rbriggs82 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rbriggs82 For This Useful Post:
CApainter (02-04-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 03:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbriggs82 View Post
I'm with ya CA. Mr. HO can have at it with his Behr paint and dollar store roller sleeve. I'm just a phone call away to bail them out.
Same here. The number of times I've heard stuff like "I've been asking my husband to paint our kitchen for years, but he just keeps going on about how he hates painting." Or, "My husband doesn't like heights" (needs 4' ladder). That's what we love to hear!
CApainter (02-04-2017), Gymschu (02-04-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 05:34 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 600
Thanked 9,092 Times in 5,036 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Same here. The number of times I've heard stuff like "I've been asking my husband to paint our kitchen for years, but he just keeps going on about how he hates painting." Or, "My husband doesn't like heights" (needs 4' ladder). That's what we love to hear!
I especially like when the males of the household degrade painting and wallcovering down to what is supposedly a so called "women's job". These are the same jack holes that can't scratch their own asses without complaining about a back ache or sore shoulder. To give credit where credit's due, I've made a pretty good living because of their existence.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CApainter View Post
I especially like when the males of the household degrade painting and wallcovering down to what is supposedly a so called "women's job". These are the same jack holes that can't scratch their own asses without complaining about a back ache or sore shoulder. To give credit where credit's due, I've made a pretty good living because of their existence.

Try living near the biggest nuclear power plant on the planet, where some of these guys are piloting a reactor worth more than your life. Then, coming home to their wife and kids who want their rooms painted, and cheaping out like you're trying to steal their first born child. Meanwhile, they make god knows what you make in a day, compared to what you make in a year.

I never dispute what they make. But I do laugh when they grumble about what you make.
CApainter likes this.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:33 PM   #18
RH

Quote:
Heard that one recently. Looked at a job that had a mildly vaulted living room ceiling - maybe went up to ten feet at the peak. The lady said thay normally did their own painting but that part scared them.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:36 PM   #19
RH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbriggs82 View Post
Except for those who are convinced they did a good job even though the wall color comes out 1/4 inch or more onto the ceiling and the door and window trim. But hey, they saved some money!

Old 02-05-2017, 08:57 AM   #20
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 304
Thanked 8,158 Times in 3,702 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

Everytime CR comes out with the paint ratings, we get a thread like this.

I looked at it like this: I'm a professional painter. I get paid to paint. As a professional painter I should be competent enough to paint any manufacturers paint. May not always be what I prefer, but it was what is was. If I know the paint may require more coats, I put it in the bid.

We can sit here and debate the merits of certain paints we prefer and those we don't. But in the end, if the customer wants a certain mfg paint and is willing to pay for it and you to paint it; it's your choice to do the job or not.

After close to 30+ years in the business, I can never recall getting a commission check from a paint company for using/recommending/up-selling their products. I don't want to hear about contractor pricing - it's all over the place and you have to fight for every dime you save. Was in a local SW store the other day to get a gallon of Cashmere to match what I have at home. A local contractor I know who does a good business was there also. My accounts there have been closed for 8 years. I got the Cashmere for $4.38 less a gallon than he could buy it for.

Having been in the insurance resto business and having to buy from the box stores for probably 75% of the paint on these jobs as required by the insurance companies, you learn what's decent, what isn't, what will do the job required for the amount allowed.

Interesting fact: Never had an insurance company check bounce. They paid in the same US dollars as the HO paid with. They called me on a regularly consistent basis which added a very substantial income both gross and net yearly. My business didn't stagnate. And all by going by there product/retailer terms.

So for those of you who need a way to deal with the HO who requests CR recommended paint and you just find yourself too good; have them find a CR recommended painter. Just keep in mind that some professional painter will paint the job, and the money will go in his bank - not yours.
Wildbill7145 likes this.
kmp (02-05-2017), SemiproJohn (02-05-2017)