CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Specialty Coatings

Old 08-14-2009, 02:12 PM   #1

View envyshane's Photo Album My Photos
Default applying polane

Im a industrial painter for a fabrication shop and i have been spraying AUE 100 but have had problems with it so i switched to Polane. this stuff sprays very thick and is very hard to get smooth even coats, can anyone give me some advice on spraying this. Fluid tip size, etc.

thanks
shane

envyshane is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 08-14-2009, 08:09 PM   #2
I give free hugs

Thanked 6,180 Times in 3,719 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

Most the pt crew are res or commercial painters. We would probably never use that stuff. I hope to hear some post from you regarding industrial painting.
Can you read industrial plans?

Last edited by ewingpainting.net; 08-15-2009 at 01:43 AM..
ewingpainting.net is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:36 PM   #3

View Veith@toast.net's Photo Album My Photos

Have only sprayed it a couple of time. First ? is what are you thinning it with. Had problem in a factory that wouldn't let MEK in. Very long story. Then are you putting enough thinner in. Never had a problem with it. What are you spraying with. Rember it is hard on the lungs and liver so take care.
Veith@toast.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:52 AM   #4

im using a 1.5 tip and thinning it with the reducer they told me to use,when i first wrote this message i was spraying with a 1.3 but this stuff is real thick so i changed it up to a higher tip. and yes this stuff is nasty on my lungs i have days where i wease at night cause i inhaled to much.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:16 PM   #5

View austintx512's Photo Album My Photos

did u read the spec sheet on it?
austintx512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:09 PM   #6

of course i read the spec sheet. im starting to spray it a little better except im having trouble with the paint flashing to fast so i changed to a slower reducer.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:08 PM   #7
Almost Gone

Thanked 5,215 Times in 3,203 Posts
View TJ Paint's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by envyshane View Post
Im a industrial painter for a fabrication shop and i have been spraying AUE 100 but have had problems with it so i switched to Polane. this stuff sprays very thick and is very hard to get smooth even coats, can anyone give me some advice on spraying this. Fluid tip size, etc.

thanks
shane
I'd say talk with a rep. They should know, or help you trouble shoot. Sounds like a reducer is needed.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:06 PM   #8

View ibsocal's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

thanks
shane
Add 2-4 oz of thinner at a time to a qt until u get what u are looking for, a smooth finish and good atomization of the coating.u can also play with a air assist airless system or go straight airless with a small tip 13-17 X size of parts 2-3 -5 ?.1.3-1.5 will work just play with the viscosity.

Last edited by ibsocal; 08-29-2009 at 10:19 PM..
ibsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:31 PM   #9

View William's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

thanks
shane
Shane this post is a bit old, I came across it trying to help some else out in Polane material usage. AUE100 is gloss right? Polane is semi-gloss right? The Polane I am familiar with is a 7:1 mix using V27 cat and V29 Polane reducer for best results. MEK even laquer thinner can be way to fast.

If even coats are an issue, your reducer is probly too fast. The application of Polane should be fairly passive. Also, to much Cat, produces a glossier finish, leading to uneven appearance. AUE 100 to Polane, what are you painting? I can't see the application. Then again I may have used AUE300? 30 years of spraying paint... Hard to keep up.

William is offline   Reply With Quote