CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Specialty Coatings

Old 08-05-2009, 10:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View Tim The Painter's Photo Album My Photos
Default Wood Front Door Fading

The top of the door is in great condition. The bottom of the door is faded from the sun. How would you guys tackle this one?
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Front Door Fading-picture-458.jpg  

Tim The Painter is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 08-05-2009, 10:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 270
View LA Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Depends how picky the customer is... and how much they want to spend.

If they want it to look new... strip it all down and start over.

If they want a touchup job... sand the bad areas, blend in some stain, and re-varnish the whole door.

Doors like that need to be treated like wood boats, ie: clear coat every six months.

LA Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LA Painter For This Useful Post:
DeanV (08-05-2009), Workaholic (08-05-2009)
Old 08-05-2009, 11:34 PM   #3

View waho6o9's Photo Album My Photos

Yeah, what LAPainter said.
waho6o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,028 Times in 751 Posts
View johnpaint's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Painter View Post

If they want a touchup job... sand the bad areas, blend in some stain, and re-varnish the whole door.

Doors like that need to be treated like wood boats, ie: clear coat every six months.
That's it in a nut shell. It all depends on if you want to gamble on sanding/ touching up and wonder if the client will like it, or going the whole 100 yards to strip and restain.It is also a good idea to do the wet test to see what it would look like if you just recoated it.

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
johnpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:52 PM   #5
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 2,172
Thanked 3,898 Times in 2,149 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Painter View Post

That is the truth. Most do not opt for the strip and refinish and go for the band-aid approach.
DeanV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:36 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000
View TooledUp's Photo Album My Photos

Maybe sub it out to a painter?
TooledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:32 PM   #7

View concrete effects's Photo Album My Photos

Light sand and re-varnish with high UV. Wouldn't mess with stain touch up, to risky on blending.
concrete effects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooledUp View Post
Maybe sub it out to a painter?
Tooledup: Your a naughty little pet.

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpaint View Post
Tooledup: Your a naughty little pet.
Moi?

Seriously though - I would expect that question from the H/O, not the painter.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:41 AM   #10
Paint Store Owner

Thanked 2,976 Times in 1,797 Posts
View NCPaint1's Photo Album My Photos

That color doesent look hard to blend. But be sure the H/O knows that a touch up job WON'T be perfect, usually they turn out pretty good but always CYA.
NCPaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Moi?

Seriously though - I would expect that question from the H/O, not the painter.
Yes, but because we are so long suffering, we help at a drop of the hat.Never complaining always giving it up the advise.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnpaint For This Useful Post:
RCP (08-08-2009)
Old 08-08-2009, 12:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpaint View Post
Yes, but because we are so long suffering, we help at a drop of the hat.Never complaining always giving it up the advise.

Ahhh I missed the bit where H/O's/DIYers/unskilled and hacks had been added to the forum constitution.

..........That's odd. I just looked and couldn't find it
Old 08-08-2009, 02:07 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,124
Thanked 6,493 Times in 4,359 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Ahhh I missed the bit where H/O's/DIYers/unskilled and hacks had been added to the forum constitution.

..........That's odd. I just looked and couldn't find it
The less skilled are welcome if they are paint contractors, paint contractor employee, any professional paint related field as long as they follow the posting rules.
His other posts had to do with passing the exams for a license in California which leads to imply that he is a painter. If you do not want to help him that is not a problem.
We all weed out the HO,s, the Diyers and the hacks will eventually expose themselves for what they are.
PaintTalk was not built in a day, well maybe it was.

Last edited by Workaholic; 08-08-2009 at 02:14 PM..
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
The less skilled are welcome if they are paint contractors, paint contractor employee, any professional paint related field as long as they follow the posting rules.
His other posts had to do with passing the exams for a license in California which leads to imply that he is a painter. If you do not want to help him that is not a problem.
We all weed out the HO,s, the Diyers and the hacks will eventually expose themselves for what they are.
PaintTalk was not built in a day, well maybe it was.
I think this one has exposed himself (imo anyway). Anybody can say they are applying for a license but the posts speak for themselves. If they're of a low skill level then they shouldn't be a painting contractor. That's not an opinion, it's a fact. To be perfectly honest with you, I've been evaluating whether or not this place is what it I thought it was (or whether it ever will be).

I don't want to go back to the walking the talk or new forum threads again because we've been there and done that and nothing has really changed. 'Walking the talk' doesn't happen. It's funny how some rules are stuck to rigidly (not even a political joke allowed) but more serious issues that deal with people's homes and people's possible health and safety are ignored for the most part. If I had to choose between the two, I know what I'd vote for (is voting political?).
Old 08-08-2009, 04:05 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,124
Thanked 6,493 Times in 4,359 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I think this one has exposed himself (imo anyway). Anybody can say they are applying for a license but the posts speak for themselves. If they're of a low skill level then they shouldn't be a painting contractor. That's not an opinion, it's a fact. To be perfectly honest with you, I've been evaluating whether or not this place is what it I thought it was (or whether it ever will be).
I understand how you feel on the subject and I understand that on your side of the pond you must put in a lot more dues before you can have the title "professional painting contractor", here it is much to simple. you can get licensed with little or no experience as long as you can pay the fees and pass the requirements.
I do agree with you 100% that a person should have worked for someone for years before trying to go it on their own but that is not how it is set up here.

As far as whether or not this site is up to your expectations that I can not answer. I appreciate your posts and enjoy hearing the similarities and differences that we face in the same field but on a different continent. You have and hopefully will keep sharing a lot of great knowledge in these threads.

Quote:
I don't want to go back to the walking the talk or new forum threads again because we've been there and done that and nothing has really changed. 'Walking the talk' doesn't happen. It's funny how some rules are stuck to rigidly (not even a political joke allowed) but more serious issues that deal with people's homes and people's possible health and safety are ignored for the most part. If I had to choose between the two, I know what I'd vote for (is voting political?).
The no politic rule is easy to enforce, it is pretty cut and dry. The level of experience someone has is very hard to enforce. We can not go on witch hunts trying to rid the forum of people who have less skills than the average, or belittling them for not already having all the answers.
While something may seem basic to most of us it could still seem new to a guy that has only done the same kind of painting and is now in a different area.
This site is set up so that the less skilled professionals can learn from the more experienced, while trying to politely turn the HO's and DIY elsewhere.

Last edited by Workaholic; 08-08-2009 at 04:09 PM..
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:25 PM   #16

Yeah, yeah, Tool it is, want it is, we have been getting very potitical around here. Nice, nice, nice = bland, bland, bland.