Benjamin Moore paint issues. - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion


Like Tree18Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2016, 06:12 PM   #1
Paint Ninja
 
AlphaWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 226
Rewards Points: 452
Thanks: 65
Thanked 195 Times in 101 Posts
View AlphaWolf's Photo Album My Photos
Default Benjamin Moore paint issues.

so last job i did was all in Benjamin Moore from the designers request. Aura matte and Regal matte. Almost all of the walls have flashing issues. The owner never noticed or the designer but i sure do. I also noticed it does not level out very well. Nor did i find if overly durable. Any 1 else have these issues or was it just me. At the price they want a gallon i find it a little annoying. Also aura satin was on the trim. It looks OK but not as durable as i was hoping. All doors where sprayed and looked great. OFC people hit them and they need to be repainted. I sanded them down and rolled them with 10 mill roller. Texture Aura leave is well, excessive.

Last edited by AlphaWolf; 07-26-2016 at 06:32 PM..
AlphaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-26-2016, 06:31 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
ElTacoPaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 520
Rewards Points: 138
Thanks: 254
Thanked 56 Times in 45 Posts
View ElTacoPaco's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Do not think Aura comes in Pearl
ElTacoPaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:32 PM   #3
Paint Ninja
 
AlphaWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 226
Rewards Points: 452
Thanks: 65
Thanked 195 Times in 101 Posts
View AlphaWolf's Photo Album My Photos
Default

my mistake satin not pearl
AlphaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 07-26-2016, 07:17 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Delta Painting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,279
Rewards Points: 1,094
Thanks: 4,175
Thanked 686 Times in 475 Posts
View Delta Painting's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I find the newer VOC compliant paint can be a pain in the azz they sure don't level out without some extender added witch compromises the integrity of the coating...
cdpainting likes this.
__________________
http://www.deltapaintingmi.com/
Delta Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:08 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Jmayspaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: East TN
Posts: 3,801
Rewards Points: 4
Thanks: 1,774
Thanked 3,580 Times in 1,805 Posts
View Jmayspaint's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Aura is...different for sure. The first wall I rolled with it looked like a$$. I applied it like I had been used to doing with slower drying acrylics expecting it to flow out and it just didn't. Now that I've got the hang of it though, I like it.

Thing is it will level out well, but the window for that happening is very short. You have to get it on fast with minimal tooling and start with a pretty tight stipple. It's very easy to overwork. I used to roll out three foot sections or so then go back and lay it off. That doesn't work with Aura. Makes a mess.

If you can get the hang of the speed of Aura Matte, I've found it to be very forgiving as far as flashing/lapping are concerned. It's quite flat for a matte paint, even in the darker colors.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
Gwarel (07-26-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 10:06 PM   #6
Paint Ninja
 
AlphaWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 226
Rewards Points: 452
Thanks: 65
Thanked 195 Times in 101 Posts
View AlphaWolf's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmayspaint View Post
Aura is...different for sure. The first wall I rolled with it looked like a$$. I applied it like I had been used to doing with slower drying acrylics expecting it to flow out and it just didn't. Now that I've got the hang of it though, I like it.

Thing is it will level out well, but the window for that happening is very short. You have to get it on fast with minimal tooling and start with a pretty tight stipple. It's very easy to overwork. I used to roll out three foot sections or so then go back and lay it off. That doesn't work with Aura. Makes a mess.

If you can get the hang of the speed of Aura Matte, I've found it to be very forgiving as far as flashing/lapping are concerned. It's quite flat for a matte paint, even in the darker colors.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I noticed that as well. So i went faster with less back rolling and it helped but far from perfect. Just find it weird that every 1 loves BM yet SW or say Dulux gets bashed. Any paint that needs to be applied a special way or else it looks bad and cost 2 times as much is not worth it. I need my paint to be painter friendly lol.
AlphaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaWolf For This Useful Post:
northcountrypainter (07-27-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 10:18 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
bobross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 150
Rewards Points: 40
Thanks: 26
Thanked 93 Times in 41 Posts
View bobross's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Why is it all the higher dollar paints require more work. Always thought it should be the other way around.
PACman and AlphaWolf like this.
bobross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:43 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 555
Rewards Points: 230
Thanks: 447
Thanked 255 Times in 166 Posts
View Exactoman's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Aura and Regal are both very simple to use if you take the time to understand the product before applying them.
Your Aura will best be applied by cutting in and then letting your cut totally dry before rolling. Also, adding 2-4 Oz floetrol per can will solve half your flashing problem. The other half will be solved by using a 9" 5/16 microfiber by Wooster and rolling in the same direction up and down and side to side.
You can probably do this with Regal as well.
Problem solved.
in.SIDE.out likes this.
Exactoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:44 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 555
Rewards Points: 230
Thanks: 447
Thanked 255 Times in 166 Posts
View Exactoman's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobross View Post
Why is it all the higher dollar paints require more work. Always thought it should be the other way around.
They don't. But if you know how to use them they look 10x better than sh1t paints aka sherwin.
PACman likes this.
Exactoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:42 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
PACman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North central Ohio
Posts: 7,304
Rewards Points: 1,526
Thanks: 2,988
Thanked 4,194 Times in 2,766 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf View Post
I noticed that as well. So i went faster with less back rolling and it helped but far from perfect. Just find it weird that every 1 loves BM yet SW or say Dulux gets bashed. Any paint that needs to be applied a special way or else it looks bad and cost 2 times as much is not worth it. I need my paint to be painter friendly lol.
What are you comparing SW and Dulux to as far as ease of application is concerned? They are both pretty much middle of the road in that respect as far as my side by side testing is concerned. Better then typical box store brands but not up to snuff with some good regional brands or P&L. There is a lot of personal preference involved as well, of course. That being said I really don't think Aura is actually harder to apply, it's just different to apply. Let the cut dry, roll quick, and don't re-roll an area until it is completely. Different then SW but not really any more difficult.
__________________
"One who dares not offend cannot be honest." Thomas Paine-patriot

"Screw you guys! I'm going home!" Cartmann
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:48 AM   #11
Paint Ninja
 
AlphaWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 226
Rewards Points: 452
Thanks: 65
Thanked 195 Times in 101 Posts
View AlphaWolf's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I did you use a microfiber. it was 15 mill. Sherwin paints are not as bad as you say. Say aura around 60 a gallon. I can get Cashmere/Opulence for 20. No special way to use it always looks perfect. don't see how that is "sh1t" paint. also 1/3rd the cost. Aura not worst paint i have ever used buy any means. But hard for me to justify the 3x the cost. Also have a house coming up with Aura on the exterior. I hope that goes a little better.
AlphaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:52 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
journeymanPainter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Vancouver(surrounding area) BC
Posts: 2,860
Rewards Points: 674
Thanks: 3,270
Thanked 1,640 Times in 1,052 Posts
View journeymanPainter's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman View Post
What are you comparing SW and Dulux to as far as ease of application is concerned? They are both pretty much middle of the road in that respect as far as my side by side testing is concerned. Better then typical box store brands but not up to snuff with some good regional brands or P&L. There is a lot of personal preference involved as well, of course. That being said I really don't think Aura is actually harder to apply, it's just different to apply. Let the cut dry, roll quick, and don't re-roll an area until it is completely. Different then SW but not really any more difficult.
I've had very little issues in almost 13 years of painting with Dulux. Every time I use aura it looks like a dogs breakfast. Customer likes it, I don't. It drags, it pulls, it flashes, leaves heavy indentations from anything. It's incredibly thick too
journeymanPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:04 AM   #13
Paint Ninja
 
AlphaWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 226
Rewards Points: 452
Thanks: 65
Thanked 195 Times in 101 Posts
View AlphaWolf's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymanPainter View Post
I've had very little issues in almost 13 years of painting with Dulux. Every time I use aura it looks like a dogs breakfast. Customer likes it, I don't. It drags, it pulls, it flashes, leaves heavy indentations from anything. It's incredibly thick too
You hit the nail on the head. Diamond for me is 35 vs aura at 60. Diamond always looks perfect and is just as durable. Even Lifemaster matte 0VOC is is nicer to use imo. More durable than Regal matte and cheaper than diamond. Got to love good marketing lol.
AlphaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaWolf For This Useful Post:
journeymanPainter (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 10:35 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
PACman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North central Ohio
Posts: 7,304
Rewards Points: 1,526
Thanks: 2,988
Thanked 4,194 Times in 2,766 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymanPainter View Post
I've had very little issues in almost 13 years of painting with Dulux. Every time I use aura it looks like a dogs breakfast. Customer likes it, I don't. It drags, it pulls, it flashes, leaves heavy indentations from anything. It's incredibly thick too
Actually the Dulux you have in Canada is entirely different then what we used to have in the states so I really don't have any experience with it. But, when I wipe with Northern it drags more than Charmin so does that make the Charmin a better tp? Lots of variables come in to play in the field when it comes to paint application. That's why I always go with what lab testing comes up with. Not perfect by any means but that is why I may have differing opinions to what you painters are experiencing in the field. BUT! What I am doing to test paint is what the paint companies themselves do when they do benchmark testing between their products and their competitors. So take it for what's it's worth and don't get upset about it ! Lol!

So when I do a side by side brushout with my custom deluxe master brushout tester device, and the Durations drags and doesn't "travel" as far as Aura, what does that mean? Not exactly what happens on a wall by any means, but important to consider nonetheless.
__________________
"One who dares not offend cannot be honest." Thomas Paine-patriot

"Screw you guys! I'm going home!" Cartmann
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:41 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
PACman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North central Ohio
Posts: 7,304
Rewards Points: 1,526
Thanks: 2,988
Thanked 4,194 Times in 2,766 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Dulux must be making a pretty good paint! Maybe that's why they left the United States market. ? Maybe just not worth the marketing effort for PPG anymore? Or the price Akzo Noble wanted for the trademark rights? Idk. But if PPG thought for a minute that the Dulux formulations were that much better then SW believe me they would have paid a good chunk of change for them.
__________________
"One who dares not offend cannot be honest." Thomas Paine-patriot

"Screw you guys! I'm going home!" Cartmann
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PACman For This Useful Post:
Exactoman (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 11:41 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
ElTacoPaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 520
Rewards Points: 138
Thanks: 254
Thanked 56 Times in 45 Posts
View ElTacoPaco's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf View Post
I noticed that as well. So i went faster with less back rolling and it helped but far from perfect. Just find it weird that every 1 loves BM yet SW or say Dulux gets bashed. Any paint that needs to be applied a special way or else it looks bad and cost 2 times as much is not worth it. I need my paint to be painter friendly lol.
It does not cost two times as more as far as I am concerned
ElTacoPaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:44 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
ElTacoPaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 520
Rewards Points: 138
Thanks: 254
Thanked 56 Times in 45 Posts
View ElTacoPaco's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf View Post
I did you use a microfiber. it was 15 mill. Sherwin paints are not as bad as you say. Say aura around 60 a gallon. I can get Cashmere/Opulence for 20. No special way to use it always looks perfect. don't see how that is "sh1t" paint. also 1/3rd the cost. Aura not worst paint i have ever used buy any means. But hard for me to justify the 3x the cost. Also have a house coming up with Aura on the exterior. I hope that goes a little better.
A better question to ask is what price is your Emerald at? By no way shape or form am I saying they are comparable bc I would never pay more that 30 Emerald
ElTacoPaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:47 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
ElTacoPaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 520
Rewards Points: 138
Thanks: 254
Thanked 56 Times in 45 Posts
View ElTacoPaco's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman View Post
Dulux must be making a pretty good paint! Maybe that's why they left the United States market. ? Maybe just not worth the marketing effort for PPG anymore? Or the price Akzo Noble wanted for the trademark rights? Idk. But if PPG thought for a minute that the Dulux formulations were that much better then SW believe me they would have paid a good chunk of change for them.
Have only heard good things about Dulux Pac. What is the Diammond that ICI has? Was ICI not Dulux?
ElTacoPaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:49 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 555
Rewards Points: 230
Thanks: 447
Thanked 255 Times in 166 Posts
View Exactoman's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf View Post
I did you use a microfiber. it was 15 mill. Sherwin paints are not as bad as you say. Say aura around 60 a gallon. I can get Cashmere/Opulence for 20. No special way to use it always looks perfect. don't see how that is "sh1t" paint. also 1/3rd the cost. Aura not worst paint i have ever used buy any means. But hard for me to justify the 3x the cost. Also have a house coming up with Aura on the exterior. I hope that goes a little better.
First off, not all microfibers are the same. Aura looks best with 5/16 stipple.
When you apply the product CORRECTLY, Aura, there is a huge finish difference between it and other products, especially cashmere. But, it matters what your customers want. Your customer base may not need Aura and Regal. I'm a firm believer of don't fix something if it ain't broke. If you know your products you use now and love em, then no need to change.
But if you want to try and can get this product, you gotta try Richard's signature eggshell. It is a cashmere, Regal, comparable, and looks almost as good as Aura.
PACman likes this.
Exactoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:28 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
PACman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North central Ohio
Posts: 7,304
Rewards Points: 1,526
Thanks: 2,988
Thanked 4,194 Times in 2,766 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElTacoPaco View Post
Have only heard good things about Dulux Pac. What is the Diammond that ICI has? Was ICI not Dulux?
Yes it was. But ICI is gone from the US. (here anyway). many of those old ICI products are under the Glidden name now and some of them have been labeled as various other PPG products. But if there was any marketability to the Dulux trademark, PPG wouldn't have just walked away from it. It didn't have a particularly strong following in some areas.
Jmayspaint likes this.
__________________
"One who dares not offend cannot be honest." Thomas Paine-patriot

"Screw you guys! I'm going home!" Cartmann
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Exterior Paint and What Type of Finish? twelvegates Surface Preparation and Application 17 06-02-2016 09:21 AM
Benjamin Moore Advance question Always Learning General Painting Discussion 5 04-17-2016 09:03 AM
Benjamin Moore UK EnglishDecorator General Painting Discussion 16 01-04-2016 01:06 PM
Benjamin Moore advance sm2buck General Painting Discussion 27 12-30-2015 11:56 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | ElectricianTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com