Brush quality - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 01-08-2016, 11:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,610
Thanked 4,207 Times in 2,776 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos
Default Brush quality

At first I thought it was just me, but after purchasing a "premium brand" paint brush at a local competitor last night and comparing it to a 25 year old new old stock identical brush that I have..... well lets just say the difference in the "cut" or evenness of the filaments (hairs) is laughable. And I looked at 7-8 of these particular brushes to get the best one they had!

There are individual filaments sticking out almost 1/8", and a cluster of filaments about 1/4" long along the line of the tip that stick out about 1/16". How are you supposed to get a professional paint finish with a brush like that? And it isn't just one brand, but several. Two of which are the two biggest manufacturers in the world. And I'm not talking about the lower grade pro brushes like what they carry at HD and Lowe's, etc. But the actual grades that would be sold in specialty paint stores such as SW and the like.

Last month I almost had to refuse a box of brushes I special ordered for a customer but he took them anyway. I was actually embarrassed (I know, hard to believe!) to sell them!

Anyway, I know this may be common knowledge to most of you, but always check each individual brush before you buy it to make sure the quality of manufacture is what you expect it to be. They will only get away with poor quality control until people stop buying their product. As for me, I'm not selling any of these two particular brands on my sales floor anymore, only by special order and with the caveat that I didn't manufacture them and I am not responsible for their quality.

"Screw you guys! I'm going home!" Cartmann
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2016, 01:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 252
View Gymschu's Photo Album My Photos

Even in the past few years I've noticed the difference. I have a Wooster from about 3 years ago that has MORE and A LOT BETTER bristles in it than any brush I've purchased in the last year. I guess less bristles in each brush means huge cost savings in the long run........
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
PACman (01-08-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 02:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Even in the past few years I've noticed the difference. I have a Wooster from about 3 years ago that has MORE and A LOT BETTER bristles in it than any brush I've purchased in the last year. I guess less bristles in each brush means huge cost savings in the long run........
It does, but I think the biggest cost savings they are getting is due to fewer quality control checks and inspections. The labor savings is probably much larger if you can eliminate 4-5 people then a few cents saved on materials on a brush that retails for close to $20 and costs probably $2-3 to make.

The Following User Says Thank You to PACman For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (01-08-2016)

Old 01-08-2016, 03:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 451
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos

Any body a fan of Nour. I love their brushes and roller sleeves. (Especially Heritage and tradition Medium Firm) They seem well crafted and wear well. Mine still cut a nice line after months of use.
jennifertemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:47 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 40
View radio11's Photo Album My Photos

That's the beauty of our capitalist system. Somebody will take up the mantle of making brushes "like they used to". They will be handcrafted by artisans using "Olde World" methods. They will, of course, cost an arm and 2 legs, but as professionals, we all have to decide what sets us apart from the competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
radio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to radio11 For This Useful Post:
PACman (01-08-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 03:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifertemple View Post
Any body a fan of Nour. I love their brushes and roller sleeves. (Especially Heritage and tradition Medium Firm) They seem well crafted and wear well. Mine still cut a nice line after months of use.
They are rare in the states. I looked into trying to carry them at one point but they were kind of pricey, which I don't mind but with no following here it seemed to be not so good of an idea to carry them.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:07 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 451
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman View Post
They are rare in the states. I looked into trying to carry them at one point but they were kind of pricey, which I don't mind but with no following here it seemed to be not so good of an idea to carry them.
That's to bad, they make (consistently) good brushes. I choose them over all others! Yes, a bit on the pricey side but then one gets what one pays for. They do sell some "lower end" but I have never tried them.
jennifertemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 04:18 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 138
View ElTacoPaco's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman View Post
At first I thought it was just me, but after purchasing a "premium brand" paint brush at a local competitor last night and comparing it to a 25 year old new old stock identical brush that I have..... well lets just say the difference in the "cut" or evenness of the filaments (hairs) is laughable. And I looked at 7-8 of these particular brushes to get the best one they had!

There are individual filaments sticking out almost 1/8", and a cluster of filaments about 1/4" long along the line of the tip that stick out about 1/16". How are you supposed to get a professional paint finish with a brush like that? And it isn't just one brand, but several. Two of which are the two biggest manufacturers in the world. And I'm not talking about the lower grade pro brushes like what they carry at HD and Lowe's, etc. But the actual grades that would be sold in specialty paint stores such as SW and the like.

Last month I almost had to refuse a box of brushes I special ordered for a customer but he took them anyway. I was actually embarrassed (I know, hard to believe!) to sell them!

Anyway, I know this may be common knowledge to most of you, but always check each individual brush before you buy it to make sure the quality of manufacture is what you expect it to be. They will only get away with poor quality control until people stop buying their product. As for me, I'm not selling any of these two particular brands on my sales floor anymore, only by special order and with the caveat that I didn't manufacture them and I am not responsible for their quality.
We want names!
ElTacoPaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 04:20 PM   #9

Quote:
That's to bad, they make (consistently) good brushes. I choose them over all others! Yes, a bit on the pricey side but then one gets what one pays for. They do sell some "lower end" but I have never tried them.
How much are you getting these brushes for? Also @PACman what do you carry at your store?
Old 01-08-2016, 04:24 PM   #10
PRC

Rewards Points: 42
View PRC's Photo Album My Photos

IMO, Corona are the most available, consistently made quality brushes
PRC is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PRC For This Useful Post:
ElTacoPaco (01-08-2016), PACman (01-08-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 04:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElTacoPaco View Post
How much are you getting these brushes for? Also @PACman what do you carry at your store?
I have some Woosters, but I am going to sell out and not re-order them. A few Purdys but I'm letting them sell out also unless someone specifically wants to order them. (HINTS!)

I'm primarily going with Elder & Jenks because I believe they are the best overall value for my customers, and next spring I am going to start carrying Corona if everything works out. I also carry some Arroworthy and Linzer brushes, which are pretty surprising actually. Good solid brushes at a reasonable price. Some of the Professional grade Linzers are quite impressive for their price. (these aren't the "professional" grade brushes most people are familiar with through Walmart and HD. They are "true" professional grade brushes that very few retailers carry.)

I have access to Bestt liebco, but other then the top line they aren't anything exceptional.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRC View Post
I am seriously thinking about carrying these
Old 01-08-2016, 06:30 PM   #13
very senior member

Rewards Points: 760
Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,245 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Any body a fan of Nour. I love their brusLinkhes and roller sleeves. (Especially Heritage and tradition Medium Firm) They seem well crafted and wear well. Mine still cut a nice line after months of use.
Link to where you buy them?
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:29 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 136
View Gurnoe's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRC View Post
Agreed. They're not even much more expensive than Purdys which have really fallen off a cliff recently in terms of quality. I grew up using Purdys but I spend too much time with a brush in my hand to screw around with inconsistent products. Dunn Edwards, who carries coronas, just opened up a new store in my hometown so now I just need to talk them in to stocking my favorite models.

Edit: I usually buy coronas at Bayside paint now for anybody in the San Diego area
Gurnoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gurnoe For This Useful Post:
PACman (01-09-2016)
Old 01-09-2016, 06:43 AM   #15
King Dude

Rewards Points: 166
Thanked 4,759 Times in 2,669 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

Back in the day I carried a box full of Purdys not it's all Corona. my two favorites are the Excalibur and the Cortez.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
Rbriggs82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:19 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 10
Thanked 1,398 Times in 821 Posts
View lilpaintchic's Photo Album My Photos

Imnsho, as a professional painter it's my job to make it look good regardless of circumstances, products or tools.
Things are constantly changing. My job is to change with it. Total pita sometimes.
What I'm getting at is though some (very few) of my brushes are "special", most are standard use em up toss em out. And i'll pull a few hairs out or cut a few off if i dont like em while they're getting a good beatin during their lifetime.

A pro can cut straight lines with dang near anything you put in his (or her ) hand. If not, it's the painter, not the brush.
My point is, I wouldn't go nuts on brushes that we aren't used to. The diy's probably won't care either cuz they don't know any better and even if the brush is perfect. They usually aren't skilled enough to pull tight lines anyway. Just food for thought.
lilpaintchic is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lilpaintchic For This Useful Post:
epretot (01-09-2016), PACman (01-09-2016), Rbriggs82 (01-09-2016)
Old 01-09-2016, 08:33 AM   #17

Woops not sure what I did there. Sorry for the double post.

Last edited by Gurnoe; 01-09-2016 at 08:44 AM..
Old 01-09-2016, 08:44 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpaintchic View Post
If not, it's the painter, not the brush.
There seems to be a lot of assumption in this statement. Including that we're all painting walls...

I get special brushes because I use special paint products. Cost a whopping $1 more than the equivalent Purdy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gurnoe For This Useful Post:
lilpaintchic (01-09-2016)
Old 01-09-2016, 08:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurnoe View Post
Agreed. They're not even much more expensive than Purdys which have really fallen off a cliff recently in terms of quality. I grew up using Purdys but I spend too much time with a brush in my hand to screw around with inconsistent products. Dunn Edwards, who carries coronas, just opened up a new store in my hometown so now I just need to talk them in to stocking my favorite models.

Edit: I usually buy coronas at Bayside paint now for anybody in the San Diego area
What models are those?
Old 01-09-2016, 11:10 AM   #20
RH

Rewards Points: 11,088
Thanked 14,591 Times in 7,466 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

I still prefer using the Purdy Pro-extra Glide as my main brush for cutting in on the interior surfaces I do - simply because it is still the stiffest brush I have found and holds it's edge for a decent amount of time.

I wouldn't have any problem making a change if someone knows of another brand/style that is just as stiff if not more so. Thought I had a possible contender a few months back until the bristles all started falling out en-masse a week or so into using it.

Don't mind having to special order if needed since I do that anyway for the Purdy's. Price is NOTan issue.

John Goodman - "Arachnophobia"

Last edited by RH; 01-09-2016 at 11:36 AM..
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
PRC (01-09-2016)