C2 Cabinet & Trim Paint - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree5Likes

Old 10-05-2016, 02:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 135
View PNW Painter's Photo Album My Photos
Angry C2 Cabinet & Trim Paint

Has anybody used this paint? I was looking at the data sheet and it said that you could enhance the hardness by adding 1 quart of Paint Plus from Vermont Natural Coatings to 1 gallon of C2 Cabinet & Trim paint. I've never seen a data page where it listed adding a paint from another company in the data sheet. Has anybody tried this?

I'm considering using this product for an upcoming cabinet project. Its the biggest cabinet job I've done so far.

On my last cabinet job I had issue with bubbles in the wet film right after I sprayed SW Waterborne Alkyd Urethane This happened in two different colors so I'm thinking about switching products.
PNW Painter is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2016, 03:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 119
View northcountrypainter's Photo Album My Photos

I haven't heard of the product before, so just checked out their website. The pda mentions application by brush and roller, but nothing regarding spraying I don' think. Perhaps the product is great, but since you are doing the biggest cabinet job you've done so far, I think that it would be good to stick with a product that you know and trust, and has a proven track record. Or if you have time between now and job commencement, buy a small amount and test its application, adhesion and durability, etc.
northcountrypainter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to northcountrypainter For This Useful Post:
lilpaintchic (10-06-2016), PremierPaintingMa (10-05-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 05:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 34
View PremierPaintingMa's Photo Album My Photos

Why would you do this to your self on the biggest cabinet job.
For the past 5 years I use BM Advance on cabinets and Trims never failed me, I do 4 to 5 kitchen and a lot of bathroom vanities and book selfs a month from repainting to a new kitchen. Every time I say I want to try something different and something telling me if it's working why change.
PremierPaintingMa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PremierPaintingMa For This Useful Post:
CApainter (10-06-2016), lilpaintchic (10-05-2016), northcountrypainter (10-06-2016), PRC (10-05-2016), stelzerpaintinginc. (10-06-2016), Zoomer (10-05-2016)

Old 10-05-2016, 07:29 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 138
View ElTacoPaco's Photo Album My Photos

I am suprised you found a c2 retailer!!! Are tou in Canada by any chance?
ElTacoPaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:41 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 16
Thanked 1,439 Times in 848 Posts
View lilpaintchic's Photo Album My Photos

$$$$$. Flush. Don't over think it.

Last edited by lilpaintchic; 10-05-2016 at 07:44 PM..
lilpaintchic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lilpaintchic For This Useful Post:
PRC (10-05-2016)
Old 10-06-2016, 02:03 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 135
View PNW Painter's Photo Album My Photos

If it wasn't for the issues I had with SW Water Borne Alkyd Urethane on the last job, I wouldn't consider making a switch.

At this point I'm looking at all the options that are readily available in my area. If I were to make a switch I'd figure out my process with old scrap doors before using it on a clients house.

I'm in Seattle and the same store also sells Pratt & Lambert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PNW Painter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:25 AM   #7

Look into Ben Moore Cabinet Coat satin or semi gloss but it is only in light colors
If that doesnt do kt for you
PPG breakthrough 250 VoC sating or gloss
Old 10-06-2016, 01:16 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 296
View Mr Smith's Photo Album My Photos

Use a WB lacquer like Valspar. Quick turnaround, and the toughest finish around. They also carry a bullet proof WB varnish.

I love Insl-X Cabinet Coat but Semi-Gloss is not available in Canada. I would never use their satin finish on cabinets. They ran a test market in the US for a year and now carry the semi-gloss everywhere. I spoke to the people at their head office in NJ.

As a side note, Warren Buffet & Berkshire Hathaway is the owner of Benjamin Moore.

If I had 2 weeks to do a cabinet job at a leisure pace, I might consider using Advance. It is a great product. Flipping the doors before it is cured could result in dents or scratches.

Has anyone sprayed the cabinet doors on hangars (using Advance) to do both sides at once? I've been too afraid of that product running to try it myself.

I think Seattle Painter (Shearer Painting) has a video in this forum when they used FPOE (Fine Paints of Europe) on cabinet doors. They used hangars and sprayed both sides at once. I can't remember if they used the oil or the acrylic version. He doesn't pop in here very often any more. I wish I knew what he was using these days on cabinets,.

Last edited by Mr Smith; 10-06-2016 at 01:27 PM..
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:23 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,890
Thanked 4,239 Times in 2,796 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smith View Post
Use a WB lacquer like Valspar. Quick turnaround, and the toughest finish around. They also carry a bullet proof WB varnish.

I love Insl-X Cabinet Coat but Semi-Gloss is not available in Canada. I would never use their satin finish on cabinets. They ran a test market in the US for a year and now carry the semi-gloss everywhere. I spoke to the people at their head office in NJ.

As a side note, Warren Buffet & Berkshire Hathaway is the owner of Benjamin Moore.

If I had 2 weeks to do a cabinet job at a leisure pace, I might consider using Advance. It is a great product. Flipping the doors before it is cured could result in dents or scratches.

Has anyone sprayed the cabinet doors on hangars (using Advance) to do both sides at once? I've been too afraid of that product running to try it myself.
Almost all of the cabinets getting painted here are satin finish. Rarely does anyone want semigloss. And according to my Insul-x rep and their 2016 product guide, Cabinet coat only comes in satin, so i really don't think semigloss is available everywhere in the US.
CApainter likes this.

"Screw you guys! I'm going home!" Cartmann

Last edited by PACman; 10-06-2016 at 01:27 PM..
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PACman For This Useful Post:
804 Paint (10-07-2016)
Old 10-06-2016, 01:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman View Post
Almost all of the cabinets getting painted here are satin finish. Rarely does anyone want semigloss. And according to my Insul-x rep and their 2016 product guide, Cabinet coat only comes in satin, so i really don't think semigloss is available everywhere in the US.
Not sure why you are challenging me on this when I just called the head office and got an email regarding the availability of the semi-gloss. Sounds like you are butt hurt because you are clueless about this development. Don't take it personally sport.

Like I said, they ran a test market for a year, and are now offering it to everyone in the US. This is recent news which is why it is not in your 2016 product guide. Have your rep call BM's head office.

Last edited by Mr Smith; 10-06-2016 at 01:51 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Smith For This Useful Post:
804 Paint (10-07-2016)
Old 10-06-2016, 01:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Not sure why you are challenging me on this when I just called the head office and got an email regarding the availability of the semi-gloss. Sounds like you are butt hurt because you are clueless about this development. Don't take it personally sport.

Like I said, they ran a test market for a year, and are now offering it to everyone in the US. This is recent news which is why it is not in your 2016 product guide. Have your rep call BM's head office.
Just called the 800 number. Still can't get it here. Could be still limited due to distribution reasons. And I still wouldn't want any because no one here uses Semigloss for cabinets and I already sell Ultraplate satin. Am I butt hurt? Nope. Don't want or need it either way. But I still can't get it.

The Following User Says Thank You to PACman For This Useful Post:
SemiproJohn (10-06-2016)
Old 10-06-2016, 02:04 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 220
Thanked 2,299 Times in 1,190 Posts
View SemiproJohn's Photo Album My Photos

This situation with Cabinet Coat semi reminds me of SW Snap Dry. They tell me it is now available in gallons, but it doesn't exist when I ask for some. Even the rep was in the store telling me the store has it, but when they go "looking" for it, they don't have it (and never have).

I chalk it up to a distribution thing. They will eventually have it. Just don't tell me it's in when it isn't. That's all I ask.
PACman likes this.
slinger58 (10-08-2016)
Old 10-06-2016, 02:06 PM   #13

Golly jeepers fellas! The Benjamin Moore/ Insul-x dealer next town over hasn't heard a thing about it. He's going to see if he can get it. Sounds like some intern jumped the gun a little bit to me.

Old 10-06-2016, 02:12 PM   #14

Calling the head office of any company to see if a product is actually available is usually not a great idea. It's like talking to a Home depot clerk. They'll say anything to sell you something.

Old 10-06-2016, 03:19 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 696
View ridesarize's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

I hang my cabinet doors, drawers, etc about 95% of the time. Advance does fine, it doesn't run down door jambs and so it won't on cabinet doors if you don't spray it heavy.

No semi gloss CC at my Ben Moore. I like the satin anyways.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:25 PM   #16

Quote:
SG just came out months ago to all BMs
Mr Smith likes this.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:50 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 16
Thanked 1,439 Times in 848 Posts
View lilpaintchic's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Painter View Post
If it wasn't for the issues I had with SW Water Borne Alkyd Urethane on the last job, I wouldn't consider making a switch.

At this point I'm looking at all the options that are readily available in my area. If I were to make a switch I'd figure out my process with old scrap doors before using it on a clients house.

I'm in Seattle and the same store also sells Pratt & Lambert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Daly's? Way over priced and you'd likely get a better product that's easier to use and provides a better finish using Benjamin Moore...
lilpaintchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:31 PM   #18
PRC

Rewards Points: 42
View PRC's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Just called the 800 number. Still can't get it here. Could be still limited due to distribution reasons. And I still wouldn't want any because no one here uses Semigloss for cabinets and I already sell Ultraplate satin. Am I butt hurt? Nope. Don't want or need it either way. But I still can't get it.
After reading here that cabinet coat comes in semigloss I went to the store and asked if they could get it in. He walked to the shelf and grabbed a can of it. Said they've had it for awhile. The whole time I thought it was satin only.
Mr Smith likes this.
PRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElTacoPaco View Post
SG just came out months ago to all BMs
...Yep
Old 10-06-2016, 10:12 PM   #20

Quote:
Calling the head office of any company to see if a product is actually available is usually not a great idea. It's like talking to a Home depot clerk. They'll say anything to sell you something.
Do you like apples?

Last edited by Mr Smith; 10-06-2016 at 10:19 PM..