CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 09-29-2011, 10:05 PM   #1

View CustomDesignCoatings's Photo Album My Photos
Default Cabot Bleaching Oil/ Weathering Stain

Ok I need some help…….Have an exterior that consist of White Cedar shakes. The shakes came prefinished from “Michigan Prefinished” and were put on the residence in 2008. The new home owner wants to “freshen up” the exterior.
The rep from “Michigan Prefinished” stated that they applied Cabot Bleaching Oil, let it dry, and shipped. It gave the shakes a great coastal look without the mold.
The new owner wants to get some more grey back into the shakes.
I’m thinking a 3:1 ratio of Cabot weathering stain to Cabot bleaching oil. Can I do this and not have reaction to the bleaching oil already on shakes? Anyone use these products? Any advice would be helpful.

Respectfully,
Brain

CustomDesignCoatings is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 09-30-2011, 06:25 AM   #2

View NACE's Photo Album My Photos

Bleaching oil is designed to accelerate the weathering process and the other is designed to slow it. I would absolutely not do this. I would consider using a transparent or semi transparent in a silver gray to freshen it up.

NACE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NACE For This Useful Post:
Delta Painting (09-30-2011), Rick the painter (10-04-2011)
Old 09-30-2011, 06:58 AM   #3
Paint to fish

Thanked 3,738 Times in 2,071 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

http://www.cabotstain.com/pdf/weathering-stain-6244.pdf

Cabot's says in the PDF you may mix the two. We did it years ago on a cottage (new) and it worked great.
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeanV For This Useful Post:
Rick the painter (10-04-2011), scott65 (09-30-2011)
Old 10-04-2011, 09:02 PM   #4

View Gotdibz's Photo Album My Photos

I have to put a bid for a house that has new cedar siding and some of the old cedar siding . They previously used bleaching oil. In some areas The new cedar meets with the old siding. I've never used bleaching oil .
do you have any inputs? I hear it smells bad, is it a 1 coat type of deal.
I plan on brushing it to make it penetrate better.

I just don't know how the old is going to blend with the new (once its its had its time to do its thing)

Also hows the new formulation working for people?
Gotdibz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:11 PM   #5

View Rick the painter's Photo Album My Photos

I would buy a gallon of whatever you choose and test it on a small area. I bought Cabot semi trans driftwood grey a couple of years ago and had a hell of a time brushing it out evenly.The black tint looked like charcoal when applied.Ive seen similar results on a new home by me,its a disater,looks like charcoal,blotchy as hell!
Rick the painter is offline   Reply With Quote