Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

im still trying to decide on which primer..im doing only frames and insides

dark wooden cabinets

5K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Kelly Painting 
#1 · (Edited)
i have to paint dark wooden cabinets white(only insides and frames they are getting new pre primed doors)...there is definately alot of tannin that might bleed through..it looks like its almost a composite of dark woods with llittle or no gloss..usually i would just use zinsser odorless oil primer or bin...what primer do u guys reccamend ...could i get away with somehing not as harsh because of the insides..has anyone ever used afm safecoat primers?

#2 ·
I'd use Zinsser's Cover Stain, or if worried about bleed through with the darker stuff, or the quality of the substrate is questionable (cheap laminates etc.), I'd use Zinsser's BIN pigmented shellac

I've not used safecoa primers

I have used Insul-X no/low odor, and they would not be up to the task of blocking dark wood like this

#7 ·
when the customer comes home from work and says "get that smelly *h*t out of my house, I don't care what it costs, use something with less odor," you get out the change order pad for the extra coats and material and run to the store for latex.

#14 ·
Not sure if you were planning on spraying odorless zinnser or not but this stuff wouldn't atomize (spray) for me the last time I tried it. Just ropey lines. It says you can spray it on the back of the can but it wasn't happening. My paint rep said it was an issue he had herd of but had no answers for.:cursing:

#16 ·
I have never used an odorless/latex primer than could block brown stain
Good luck with that
I'm not against it, and theres new products out all the time
I've just used enough of them that didn't work well enough on dark stain to totally hose me
So I'm through with that

You want me to paint it, it's oil-based primer
Sorry about the smell, it'll go away soon enough

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.