Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
PROFESSIONAL PAINTERS: CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 08-27-2008, 08:49 PM   #1

View jeez24's Photo Album My Photos
Default Exterior Painting in the Winter

First post, long-time reader.

Here's the scenario: Have my own business painting exteriors on the West Coast for the last ten years where it really doesn't get much between 50 and 80 degrees during the day but a promotion for my wife might mean a move to the Midwest (Chicago, Indy, Milwaukee) may be coming down the pipe. I'm of course used to working all year, but the opportunity is probably too good to pass up and I was wondering what the work situation is during the winter months in these climates? Can you still do exteriors or is everything effectively shut down like it often is for a few months in rainy climates out here? Would I have to move everyone inside but even then I doubt it's possible to land enough work on interiors to keep full exterior crews busy during the winter?

Any help would be great. Thanks.

jeez24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!
Old 08-27-2008, 09:04 PM   #2
Young Jedi

View seversonspainting's Photo Album My Photos

Well, in MN, most painting companies don't do work in the winter has the paint has no cure time and will flake off. I just don't work in the winter.

Everything is set to int. work for the winter months.

seversonspainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:25 PM   #3

Thanked 2,200 Times in 1,204 Posts
View Bender's Photo Album My Photos

Good luck with the move

Last edited by Bender; 08-27-2008 at 09:52 PM..
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:41 PM   #4

View Safety Guy's Photo Album My Photos

There are VERY limited oppurtunities to paint outside from say mid-Oct till the end of March. Even with the newer low temp paints the outside work mostly shuts down.
Safety Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:10 PM   #5
The Lurker

View MAK-Deco's Photo Album My Photos

I am in Chicago we do mid April to Mid Oct. you could squeeze a little more out of that but the weather is to iffy in my opinion...
Old 08-27-2008, 10:52 PM   #6
Senior Moment

Thanked 10,017 Times in 6,326 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Most responsible painters move inside in the winter. Around here (eastern MA) I would never start and exterior after Oct 1. But the newer paints allow more range of temp. But still, dewy mornings, short days, and declining temps make it an ify proposition.

HOWEVER, a few years ago,l I did see some "painter" applying some kind of primer in 25 degree temp. But it wasn't his fault, the instructions weren't in Portuguese and the thermometer only read farenheit

..But if you try sometime, you just might find
You get what you need
daArch is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daArch For This Useful Post:
PaintingPlusCo (02-11-2010)
Old 08-27-2008, 11:51 PM   #7

View Pete's Painting's Photo Album My Photos

I'm already getting dew on my truck, NE Mass, I'm glad to be done with my exteriors. I passed on so many, got rid of the rest. Looking forward to getting back to a normal 40 hr week instead of jumping from int. to ext. I won't be doing any next year. The window was pretty short, and the weather was wet,
Up here in New England and where you might move to, you need to be extremely productive with your exteriors.

Be careful, you may be used to doing so many in a period of time, and then find yourself rushing as the leaves are falling all over your wet paint.
Pete's Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:14 AM   #8

Thanks for the tips guys, I know it's not recommended to apply at those low temps however I did speak with some people who supposedly push through it and get days in where they can during the winter while others just close up shop or move indoors. Very, very different than here in SoCal where you can go 300 days a year.

Will keep everyone updated, I do very little interior work now so we'll see.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:14 AM   #9

View PinnacleResidential's Photo Album My Photos

Jeez, I started painting in Chicago years back. We could paint ext up to about the middle of October. After that, it gets below freezing every night so you'll basically have to shut down. The other problem is going to be snow. When there's snow on the ground, you'll be slipping and sliding all over your ladders and picks. Plan on doing more interior work. You are not going to have any luck with winter app. Plus, homeowners are going to stop calling in the winter for ext projects. It's going to be tough to get a job where the ho says "sure, come paint my house in January."

Not trying to discourage you, but my opinion is that this will not work. You're going to have to reconfigure yourself to do Interior work. Also, I have about 10 different dummy doors. I keep them so I can yank doors off of ho's houses and take them to my shop to refinish and/or paint them. This is a great way to keep busy during rain and cold days.

I've gotta also say this, are you sure you would want to paint ext during the winter months? Cold, shaking hands while you're cutting, gummy paint due to the cold. And, let's not forget how many layers of clothing you'll have to wear to keep warm. You're mobility will be limited. Also, you won't be able to get on a roof - it'll be too icey.
PinnacleResidential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:10 AM   #10
crowinthewind

View crow's Photo Album My Photos

youll be in such shock from below zero temps round these parts, you aint gonna even think bout ext anything till late april/may. its all int. your movin to a very cold and very windy place. (winter). not to mention the fact you need to pack steel just to keep folks straight! the place is a concrete jungle man, youll find midwest folk aint nothin like west coast folks. good luck.
crow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to crow For This Useful Post:
TJ Paint (02-23-2012)
Old 08-29-2008, 10:30 PM   #11

View Joewho's Photo Album My Photos

You're right, some people push through, but those are usually new construction that won't make it through the closing without some kind of coating. These jobs are what we repaint in the summer.

I was a realtor a long time ago, started painting for money. A bank called me in January when it was just starting to snow and asked if I would paint one piece of gable facia. The house was closing in 2 hours and it had to be done.

I did it, it was snowing when I came down the ladder and there was a couple of inches already there. It paid really well though.
Joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:21 PM   #12
Senior Moment

Thanked 10,017 Times in 6,326 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joewho View Post

I did it, it was snowing when I came down the ladder and there was a couple of inches already there. It paid really well though.
JEEEZ, I would HOPE you got paid well. That's COMBAT PAY.

..But if you try sometime, you just might find
You get what you need
daArch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:23 PM   #13
Severson's Painting

View jr.painting's Photo Album My Photos

We don't do ext. work in the winter. Move to inside where it is much warmer.

I can't stand the cold, much less work in it and freeze my a$$ off.
jr.painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 03:42 AM   #14

View Art Works Interiors's Photo Album My Photos

One reason to add to the list of why I only do interior work is:

It's all interior work, when it's cold out and...

you get a lot of interior work in summer because everybody's doing outside work.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:06 PM   #15

View painttofish's Photo Album My Photos

You can paint all winter no problem. Just use oil with a little Jap dryer and it will dry in the spring.

painttofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:35 PM   #16

View Mantis's Photo Album My Photos

I remember painting for a slap-em up builder a few years ago and watching snowflakes land on the fresh alkyd we just rolled onto some pvc columns. "The house is closing tomorrow morning and we will NOT be weather letting this. If it falls off, I'll pay you in the spring to fix it". Heh, You're the boss! .

In Michigan, we're done painting exterior stuff when the mercury drops below 45F. On occasion if there is an 'emergency' we'll use a low temp exterior latex to get a builder by, but we dont like it. For longevity sake we stop ext stuff around the time random kids are bugging the hell out of me for candy corn.
All Seasons Painting, Inc.
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:08 PM   #17

Thanks again for the advice guys, my wife hears back finally on the promotion next week and we'll make our decision there. After much thought if we go I'll probably stick to doing mostly exteriors, and selling/scouting summer exterior work in the winters while picking up a seasonal gig and doing interiors here and there. I'll feel that's best with my background.

Do any of you guys do this? Can you book and schedule the summer months over the winter so once the snow melts you can focus 100% on getting the work done right (which will be huge for me in my first year w/out local references) instead of spending time over the summer trying to find and land jobs?
Old 09-05-2008, 04:26 PM   #18
Paint to fish

Thanked 3,621 Times in 2,005 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

You can try, but the hard part is going to seeing everything you need to with 2 feet of snow on the ground, covering trim along roofs (and these are the areas prone to peeling), assessing decks, etc.
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:23 PM   #19

View Charles's Photo Album My Photos

Move inside. Your jobs will become a mess and you'll ruin your reputation.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #20

View Connecticut Painters's Photo Album My Photos

Just like everybody said you can't paint exteriors in the winter up north. Plan for painting interiors. Most painters I know shut down completely.
There are some paints that can be applied below freezing point though in case there was an emergency.

Last edited by Connecticut Painters; 02-23-2012 at 10:16 PM..
Connecticut Painters is offline   Reply With Quote