General Finishes Exterior 450 - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DEK Painting inc.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 137
View PNW Painter's Photo Album My Photos
Default General Finishes Exterior 450

Does anybody have any experience with this product? I'm in the process of finishing a front door that's protected from rain by an overhead porch and it gets little to no direct sunlight.

Typically I'd use Sikkens Cetol Door and Window, but I'm finishing the door in my shop, which is an attached garage on my house. I'm concerned about the odor with Sikkens because it's winter I can't vent the shop as well as I can in the summer. Plus, the recoats times for Sikkens are 24hrs.
PNW Painter is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2017, 01:55 PM   #2

Here's a picture of the door:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2017, 06:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 86
View DEK Painting inc.'s Photo Album My Photos

I havent used that product , but I have done doors that where shaded and didnt have the sunlight hit them using colorwheels stain and a real good marine spar varnish . They held up along time , after 5 years it still looks great ! I dont know how the weather is where you live , but in Fla. near the ocean I use marine spar varnish over a high quality stain when I can .
four2knapp likes this.
DEK Painting inc. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2017, 10:31 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 128
View canopainting's Photo Album My Photos

I have used their wb stain with the 450 it was easy to work with and looked great. Its much better than Minwax IMO.
canopainting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canopainting For This Useful Post:
DEK Painting inc. (01-10-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 09:22 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,426
View woodcoyote's Photo Album My Photos

General Finishes makes some awesome waerbased stains and finishes.

Go with the 450 exterior stain with 3 coats (sanded in between) of their 450 exterior sealer...door should last a long time. Super long if you don't have a lot of sun exposure. Their 450 line is pretty darn good in my opinion.

If the stain is drying too fast for you in your shop (perhaps heat) add their retarder. The stuff dries up pretty quick, so play with it a little on some scrap to get the hang of it.

Post some after pictures.
woodcoyote is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodcoyote For This Useful Post:
DEK Painting inc. (01-10-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 12:54 PM   #6

Default General Finishes Exterior 450

@woodcoyote Thanks for the advice on the GF stain. I was hopeful that we'd stain the door, but the client liked the look of the raw Fir.

I applied Daly's Benite Wood Conditioner prior to applying 3 coats of 450 with a foam brush and sanding with 320 grit between coats.

For anybody interested in using GF 450 here's a few things I've experienced with this product:
- GF 450 loads sand paper very quickly. I've tried 3 different brands, but it didn't make a difference.
- Dries very quickly. If I were applying this in higher temps or direct sunlight I don't think you'd be able to brush it because it would probably setup to quickly.
- Levels very well.

It's still drying, but here's a pic after the 3rd coat

Old 01-10-2017, 05:30 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,426
View woodcoyote's Photo Album My Photos
Thumbs up

Looks good!

Never tried applying the product with a foam brush, just trying to get a smoother look I suppose? Let me know your thoughts about it, just curious.

I like the 450 exterior because it has a high solids content and generally lasts a long time as its a pure polymerized acrylic finish.

One tid bit about it that most people don't know is that it can be catalyzed. It will hold up just fine without it, but for future mental notes if you want to add more block resistance where it's needed (say a door), you can catalyze it for a tougher finish when needed.
woodcoyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:44 AM   #8

The foam brush worked well with GF 450 because of the thin milky consistency. If you were putting on heavy coats I probably wouldn't use a foam brush because it would be harder to get a consistent millage compared to a brush.