Intro and first Question - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 04-14-2016, 05:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6
View Diesel Cat's Photo Album My Photos
Default Intro and first Question

Hi all, I'm a new member although I've gain some knowledge from lurking as of late.

I consider myself a semi-pro painter, as I have worn many hats over the years. I'll spare you the details but surfice it to say. That my endeavors have included loads of material variations and pretty much all application technics. Not always with great results, but I never give up.

Ok question time:

I have just completed my first cabinet refinishing project. I use Sherwin Williams Kem Aqua primer & Kem Aqua blending white top coat (loss gloss).

Huge learning curve......And I have sprayed awlgip on boats so I know a thing or two about thin coatings.......

**** ran all over the place and since it was my first time I just sanded out the runs and sags and recoated.....3 prime coats and 7 top coats.
I should add here before you all think I'm crazy. That the primer tended to yellow right after spraying so I was also trying to bury the bleed through.

Now I'm doing My own house and don't want to revist that insanity. So this time I ordered Kem Aqua Plus Surfacer and Kem Aqua plus top coat in blending white (low gloss). But I read that some of you use Bin as a bind coat......is this recommended? There is conflicting thoughts on this. I have been using this product for years as a stain kill.....both spot and complete coat????
someone suggested that it way only ment to be used outdoors and only on spots?? I'm very confused now.

So please help......

BTW... the last set of cabinets did come out quite nice, just took to long and waaaay too much work.

I'll be using my titon 640ix w/311 tip pressure set @ 1500

Thanks in advance

Tony G.
Diesel Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2016, 08:15 PM   #2

Was that too long for a first post?
Old 04-14-2016, 08:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,392
View Boco's Photo Album My Photos

Sup. I think most painters here use coverstain or BIN to stop yellowing, knots, and stains. For inside work they both it can be used as a primer for just about everything. For outside work coverstain is used for most everything but BIN is only used sparingly to seal up just knots and stains. If it were using with your set up I would use BIN then top coat with PPG breakthrough. Breakthrough dries super fast and is sprays like glass.
Boco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boco For This Useful Post:
Zoomer (04-17-2016)

Old 04-14-2016, 09:45 PM   #4
BPC

Rewards Points: 136
View BPC's Photo Album My Photos

Bin is great for cabinets but sucks to work with i typically use coverstain especially for oak as it has a little more build. I recently used the bin synthetic for a cabinet job it performed really well it does not sand as well but it has greater build and dries fairly smooth anyway.
BPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:55 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 298
View Crackshot's Photo Album My Photos

just get the bin in a can. if u dont want to gunk a sleve/brush etc.
dont sand your bin. use coverstain over the top. quick tip, pull the tip off the spray can, throw it away. its insane, you can get your mate in the face with it about 6 feet away...
it isnt really the misty pattern your looking for, so find one off another can and steal it...
ive actually found a high pigment undercoat waterbased that will cover and block stains. didn't believe it till I seen it. but it bites hard and no bleed. Im stressing cause my next job is that and im going to be doing just that this time without bin or coverstain.. wish me luck .
Crackshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:01 PM   #6

Thanks Guys, I think I will roll and brush my Bin on. Then spray my Kem Aqua plus products. Would like to try the PPG Breakthrough but I have already purchased the Sherwin Williams stuff.

Tony G.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:56 PM   #7
RH

Rewards Points: 10,878
Thanked 14,549 Times in 7,439 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackshot View Post
just get the bin in a can. if u dont want to gunk a sleve/brush etc.
dont sand your bin. use coverstain over the top. quick tip, pull the tip off the spray can, throw it away. its insane, you can get your mate in the face with it about 6 feet away...
it isnt really the misty pattern your looking for, so find one off another can and steal it...
ive actually found a high pigment undercoat waterbased that will cover and block stains. didn't believe it till I seen it. but it bites hard and no bleed. Im stressing cause my next job is that and im going to be doing just that this time without bin or coverstain.. wish me luck .
If I did that to my mate she'd likely divorce me.

John Goodman - "Arachnophobia"
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
Crackshot (04-16-2016), mustangmike3789 (04-15-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 01:21 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 34
View AngieM's Photo Album My Photos

Has anyone tried Kilz Max for a blocking primer? I haven't yet, but I've heard it's a great alternative to BIN as a latex high performance primer.
AngieM is offline   Reply With Quote