CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 01-13-2011, 04:24 PM   #1

View sage's Photo Album My Photos
Default Kilz pro x

And now they have a "Contractors" interior latex line exclusively available at HD. This line is being introduced at the Home Builders International Builders show in Orlando this week, Jan 12-15.

Two series available: Pro X 300 "High quality interior latex"

Pro X 100 "an econimical line"!

The VP of marketing says this line is the answer for professional tradespeople looking for quality, easy access, plenty of inventory & discounted pro pricing.

Just what we need, more confusion for the HO.
I personally don't care for the Kilz products but who knows they could come up with a good product>However I am not execting that.

Sage

sage is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-14-2011, 04:45 AM   #2

Thanked 2,564 Times in 1,664 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage View Post
And now they have a "Contractors" interior latex line exclusively available at HD. This line is being introduced at the Home Builders International Builders show in Orlando this week, Jan 12-15.

Two series available: Pro X 300 "High quality interior latex"

Pro X 100 "an econimical line"!

The VP of marketing says this line is the answer for professional tradespeople looking for quality, easy access, plenty of inventory & discounted pro pricing.

Just what we need, more confusion for the HO.
I personally don't care for the Kilz products but who knows they could come up with a good product>However I am not execting that.

Sage
Don't hold you're breath

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:46 PM   #3
World Champion

View HeadHoncho's Photo Album My Photos

I talked with the Kilz/Behr rep today...He told me that they came out with these products to compete with Promar 200/400 He said it will hide better than 200 and both are Low VOC/Odor or green... so if you need to comply with green construction and what not. So it Compares to the Promar 200 green.

For the price, (New Construction Guys) why not give it a shot? $10 cheaper for singles and more for 5's plus an extra 10% off if your an HDpro.

Regardless if you admit it or not... everybody knows SW rapes, especially with their 6% price increase this last week!

Im all about products that work for each individual situation, I don't care what name is on the can!

I want to know if anyone has Thundered Up and tried this stuff?
HeadHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HeadHoncho For This Useful Post:
bikerboy (06-11-2011)
Old 06-10-2011, 07:56 PM   #4
Shazaam!

View Different Strokes's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcajnr21 View Post
I talked with the Kilz/Behr rep today...He told me that they came out with these products to compete with Promar 200/400 He said it will hide better than 200 and both are Low VOC/Odor or green... so if you need to comply with green construction and what not. So it Compares to the Promar 200 green.

For the price, (New Construction Guys) why not give it a shot? $10 cheaper for singles and more for 5's plus an extra 10% off if your an HDpro.

Regardless if you admit it or not... everybody knows SW rapes, especially with their 6% price increase this last week!

Im all about products that work for each individual situation, I don't care what name is on the can!

Sherwin Williams numbers are WAY down in my area according to some people I've spoken to. They'll just keep raising the price to cover the loss.
Different Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:43 AM   #5

View alan's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcajnr21 View Post

I actually plan on trying it for a empty condo in the next few weeks. I just love it when the customer does not care what kind of paint you use it allows me to mix it it up a bit.
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
Paint Store Owner

Thanked 2,974 Times in 1,797 Posts
View NCPaint1's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan View Post
I actually plan on trying it for a empty condo in the next few weeks. I just love it when the customer does not care what kind of paint you use it allows me to mix it it up a bit.
Sounds like my house Every room it seems has a different product in it. My wife gets all excited when a new product comes out.....she knows a room is getting painted

www.northcromwellpaint.com
NCPaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NCPaint1 For This Useful Post:
paintpimp (06-13-2011), straight_lines (06-26-2011)
Old 06-11-2011, 09:06 AM   #7
Outhouse Painter

View Wood511's Photo Album My Photos

I might grab some of this stuff next time I have rental blow and go...see if it's worth it. I'll probably try the 300 line first. If that's crap, I guess that saves me from wasting any funds on the 100 line.
Wood511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:17 AM   #8
World Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood511
I might grab some of this stuff next time I have rental blow and go...see if it's worth it. I'll probably try the 300 line first. If that's crap, I guess that saves me from wasting any funds on the 100 line.
I have a spec home we are staining now, I'm thinking about trying it out.

The pro-x 300 is comparable to promar 200 green.
The pro-x 100 is comparable to promar 400

The rep also said this stuff touches up amazingly well from demos he has seen.

Time for a product review I suppose!
Old 06-11-2011, 02:43 PM   #9
Outhouse Painter

Well, the rep isn't going to tell you that it sucks a$$. Let us know what you think if you give it a go.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wood511 For This Useful Post:
bikerboy (06-11-2011), TJ Paint (06-12-2011)
Old 06-11-2011, 09:34 PM   #10
Paint Store Owner

Thanked 2,974 Times in 1,797 Posts
View NCPaint1's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood511 View Post
Well, the rep isn't going to tell you that it sucks a$$. Let us know what you think if you give it a go.
Ill tell people if I think something sucks. Just because I don't like something, doesn't necessarily mean they will to.

www.northcromwellpaint.com
NCPaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NCPaint1 For This Useful Post:
Different Strokes (06-11-2011)
Old 06-12-2011, 08:57 AM   #11
Outhouse Painter

My BM store mgr will also give me his honest opinion. Because we have a day to day relationship, he knows I'm coming back again and again. We have a relationship based on trust and honesty and that's a huge reason why I continue to go there. He's going to help me save time and money by sharing his product knowledge. The rep seems like more of a "company line" kinda guy - I guess because that's his job and the level of his position.

Roamer mentioned in another thread that part of the reason he doesn't buy from the box stores is lack of product support. I couldn't agree more. The highest level of support I've had from them is them reading the back of the can to me.

That happened exactly one time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wood511 For This Useful Post:
NCPaint1 (06-12-2011), paintpimp (06-13-2011)
Old 06-12-2011, 10:05 AM   #12
World Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood511
My BM store mgr will also give me his honest opinion. Because we have a day to day relationship, he knows I'm coming back again and again. We have a relationship based on trust and honesty and that's a huge reason why I continue to go there. He's going to help me save time and money by sharing his product knowledge. The rep seems like more of a "company line" kinda guy - I guess because that's his job and the level of his position.

Roamer mentioned in another thread that part of the reason he doesn't buy from the box stores is lack of product support. I couldn't agree more. The highest level of support I've had from them is them reading the back of the can to me.

That happened exactly one time.
About those friendly reps and managers... they might know specs...but they don't work in the field! How do they know it works? You just trust them? Anyone can learn about product, by reading a can, or google. Thats how they learn. The only way I know a product works, is by testing it.

Don't get me wrong...It's nice to hear the reps and managers call you by name! Guess what? They are trained to learn it so their company can get more sales!

Like it or not, it's all about the Benjamin's!
Old 06-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #13
Almost Gone

Thanked 5,220 Times in 3,208 Posts
View TJ Paint's Photo Album My Photos

If it says kilz on the can, I won't touch it. The only way would be if I was walking around in the store and they had a demo booth with a brush and roller so I could spend 5 minutes brushing and rolling it.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:34 PM   #14
Almost Gone

Thanked 5,220 Times in 3,208 Posts
View TJ Paint's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadHoncho View Post

I agree. And using a product can lose you many.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:50 PM   #15
Outhouse Painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadHoncho View Post
About those friendly reps and managers... they might know specs...but they don't work in the field! How do they know it works? You just trust them? Anyone can learn about product, by reading a can, or google. Thats how they learn. The only way I know a product works, is by testing it.

Don't get me wrong...It's nice to hear the reps and managers call you by name! Guess what? They are trained to learn it so their company can get more sales!

The managers and employees know about it from guys like me. I don't know how much experience the BM mgr in my area has, but I've rattled off 4 paint names and he's told me the numbers without blinking. Obviously, the guy has mixed a bit of paint.

The guys at my store are always messing around painting something or trying things out to see what works and what doesn't. When I want to try something, they often comp me the materials to make it happen and I give them my honest feedback...and we all learn a lil something.

Honestly, my BM guys know more about their products (and even competitors products) than a lot of the hack-a$$ painters standing beside me across the counter from them some mornings. I know every store is different and your mileage may vary, but I'm glad I have these guys in my area.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:02 PM   #16
World Champion

Here is one coat of the pro-x 300 in a baby room I'm starting, the red color.

I'm amazed...I don't even need another coat!? Walls are textured, the paint glides very well, even sheen. Overall I'm happy. Love the fact that it's inexpensive, low VOC low ODOR, and the product works!

This is the first time I've used it... It will take several more gallons of this stuff before I'm sold on it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-3190197008.jpg (42.5 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg image-1723239633.jpg (40.2 KB, 79 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HeadHoncho For This Useful Post:
Different Strokes (06-25-2011), jack pauhl (06-25-2011), straight_lines (06-26-2011)
Old 06-25-2011, 03:40 PM   #17
Shazaam!

Is that a flat sheen?, can't tell on my phone.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:49 PM   #18
World Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Different Strokes
Is that a flat sheen?, can't tell on my phone.
Yes it's a true flat.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:03 PM   #19
Logistics

View jack pauhl's Photo Album My Photos

These were sitting on the counter at SW. I found the 200 claims they make might be true to SW but not to my standards.... so I am doing a head to head with Kilz Pro-X to get to the bottom of it.

Larger version
jack pauhl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jack pauhl For This Useful Post:
ttd (10-13-2012)
Old 06-25-2011, 05:12 PM   #20
Shazaam!

JP,the form says no red yellow or ultra deep bases? Is it me, or does it look like that ceiling is red...