Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lead Paint

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  daArch 
#1 ·
Hi,
First time on the forum and I've got a dilemma. I hope this type of question isn't being reposted ad nauseum. I'll do a forum search, but in the meantime...

I am buying a townhouse (rowhouse) in inner Washington with lead paint. The house has a notice of violation as several children were injured by lead present on window sills, walls, etc.

I was informed hiring a contractor to abate the lead would cost 27,000. I think I'd rather tackle this myself. The city's new legislation mandates that I either have a team certified in the District come in and abate the lead, or that I take a 16 hour lead worker course to learn to abate the lead myself. I am going with the latter. Either way, a city certified inspector needs to come in and sign off that the house is clean once the work is complete.

The house has really nice chestnut wood trim around door and windows - much of which is covered in lead based paint. Additionally, the metal inner sills have lead paint.

Can anyone recommend paint removal processes, chemicals or general advice? I really don't want to spring for a team when I think this can be handled properly and for much less money by me and a buddy.

See less See more
#2 ·
yeah,um.

If you think a "16 hour course" makes up for years of experience to remove material that has actually harmed humans in the past...you need to wakey wakey and do the responsible thing.

I am getting sick and tired of HO's who are too cheap to have things done the correct way; i.e. pay a qualified contractor to do the work.

Like voracious "weeds" choking the industry is what they are.

ugh.

EDIT: Good luck with the inspector, they are tired of you HO's and your "buddies" too.

#3 ·
I'm a roofer by trade - who'd be working with a licensed painter. Why the aggression? I'm not stealing out of your pocket. I understand it's a difficult and expensive process, but balancing my business and hiring out for lead abatement contractors while supporting a family of 4 ain't in my budget.

#5 ·
I can easily explain my disdain towards the decision you have made not as a roofer, or my direct competition, but your cheap a$$ shortcut to a serious environmental issue you are facing.
A licensed painter is a not an abatement professional, anymore than he is a hot young blonde featured on the cover of MAXIM.
The blind leading the blind comes to mind...
I wish you the best, and I hope none of your family of 4 comes into contact with any lead due to oversight in areas that a pro would catch instantly.

#6 ·
Thanks for posting on PaintTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

PaintTalk.com is designed for professional painting contractors and the related fields to discuss issues and topics pertaining to the painting industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If your not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diychatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

Reactions: clammer
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.