CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 07-23-2011, 10:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 500
View Westview's Photo Album My Photos
Default Liners for the wooster big ben tray

Please excuse me if this topic has already been discussed. Im in the process of switching to a 14 roller and am looking for a tray to use with tray liners. Im not a fan of buckets for many reasons but I wont get into that. As Im sure most of you know, there are no liners on the market that fit the Wooster big ben tray. I am thinking of getting a 24 roll of heavy duty aluminum foil to line the tray and act as a tray liner. Has anyone tried this and if so, what was your experience with it?

Westview is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 07-23-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
RCP

Rewards Points: 4
Thanked 4,561 Times in 2,917 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to the forum, one of our members, Salmangeri makes those. You are not able to Private Message him until you have 15 posts, here is his website.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:13 AM   #3

View JoseyWales's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP View Post
Welcome to the forum, one of our members, Salmangeri makes those. You are not able to Private Message him until you have 15 posts, here is his website.
Those are bucket liners NOT tray liners.
JoseyWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westview View Post
Please excuse me if this topic has already been discussed. Im in the process of switching to a 14 roller and am looking for a tray to use with tray liners. Im not a fan of buckets for many reasons but I wont get into that. As Im sure most of you know, there are no liners on the market that fit the Wooster big ben tray. I am thinking of getting a 24 roll of heavy duty aluminum foil to line the tray and act as a tray liner. Has anyone tried this and if so, what was your experience with it?
I buy plastic liners for a wide Wooster tray...Not sure if it is a big ben but I use it with my 14" Wooster cage...I'm in Canada.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:22 AM   #5
RCP

Rewards Points: 4
Thanked 4,561 Times in 2,917 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseyWales View Post
Those are bucket liners NOT tray liners.
You are absolutely right Josey, thanks, I just read it wrong.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:59 AM   #6

Quote:
I buy plastic liners for a wide Wooster tray...Not sure if it is a big ben but I use it with my 14" Wooster cage...I'm in Canada.
Really? I've looked everywhere for something like that. Where do you buy them from? I even looked on the wooster website.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Really? I've looked everywhere for something like that. Where do you buy them from? I even looked on the wooster website.
Cloverdale Paint...
Old 07-23-2011, 12:07 PM   #8

Has anyone tried using heavey duty tin foil? I'm going to give it a go. It seems like it would work and and I can't think of any potential issues at the moment. Talk about a money saver...tray liners are $2 a pop!
Old 07-23-2011, 12:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Has anyone tried using heavey duty tin foil? I'm going to give it a go. It seems like it would work and and I can't think of any potential issues at the moment. Talk about a money saver...tray liners are $2 a pop!
You could have issues with the paint drying on the tinfoil and transfering onto the sleeve during the day...You can find tinfoil that wide?

Also tray liners can be used over and over again...Just let them dry out like you do with a tray...I've used the same one for a month.

Last edited by JoseyWales; 07-23-2011 at 12:12 PM..
Old 07-23-2011, 12:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Cloverdale Paint...
Thanks. I just took a look at their website. Unfortunately they don't have any stores near me as I am in Ontario. I may give them a call and see if they can send me some. Thanks.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #11

Quote:
You could have issues with the paint drying on the tinfoil and transfering onto the sleeve during the day...You can find tinfoil that wide?

Also tray liners can be used over and over again...Just let them dry out like you do with a tray...I've used the same one for a month.
Good point. Which cloverdale store do you get them from? Do you have the phone number?
Old 07-23-2011, 12:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Good point. Which cloverdale store do you get them from? Do you have the phone number?
PM me when you have enough posts...or use google..They have all the stores listed online including phone numbers.

I just looked and they are manufacutred by NOIR here in Canada...My bad they are not Wooster trays..

Here's some for sale on ebay.

Also ANY paint store that sells NOUR products should be able to order them for you..Try General Paint or ICI Paint...The model # is included in the ebay auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TL850-Nour-23-Pa...-/130538970098

Home hardware also carries them.

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/in...c74/R-I1656051

Last edited by JoseyWales; 07-23-2011 at 12:41 PM..
Old 07-23-2011, 01:11 PM   #13

Quote:
PM me when you have enough posts...or use google..They have all the stores listed online including phone numbers.

I just looked and they are manufacutred by NOIR here in Canada...My bad they are not Wooster trays..

Here's some for sale on ebay.

Also ANY paint store that sells NOUR products should be able to order them for you..Try General Paint or ICI Paint...The model # is included in the ebay auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TL850-Nour-23-Pa...-/130538970098

Home hardware also carries them.

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/in...c74/R-I1656051
This is great!! I'm going to order some from home hardware! Thanks so much.

PS I tried to PM you but couldn't figure out how to do it.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:42 PM   #14
Gebhardt & Co. Painting

Rewards Points: 250
View oldpaintdoc's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I use kitchen garbage bags in my Big Ben tray. Open bag, insert tray and position, add paint and go. When done just roll it inside out and use to put tape and other trash in. Works great for me.
oldpaintdoc is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldpaintdoc For This Useful Post:
TJ Paint (05-09-2012), Toolnut (12-07-2012)
Old 05-06-2012, 09:51 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 150
View salmangeri's Photo Album My Photos

I am in the process of developing the liners that fit the Big Ben paint roller trays.
I hope also to put out the liners for the Wooster Speed Bucket this summer....

Curious to know what everyone's take on the trays over the Wooster buckets are....or visa versa.......we have been using the buckets for over fifteen years and so we are quite use to them......I did notice in field testing the Big Ben tray that the grid pattern is a little deeper and loads the roller faster.....

We primary use the speed bucket to roll primer on small drywall patches and on the exterior we use it to roll and tip lap siding.....I suppose there are many other uses for the speed bucket as well....
Old 05-08-2012, 08:44 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 526
View playedout6's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpaintdoc View Post
I use kitchen garbage bags in my Big Ben tray. Open bag, insert tray and position, add paint and go. When done just roll it inside out and use to put tape and other trash in. Works great for me.
LOL....when I brought up the garbage bag tray liner fix I was pummeled for it by many on here because it was sooooooooooo unprofessional looking . I guess to each his own...we have used the bags for 25 years .
playedout6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by playedout6 View Post
LOL....when I brought up the garbage bag tray liner fix I was pummeled for it by many on here because it was sooooooooooo unprofessional looking . I guess to each his own...we have used the bags for 25 years .
I find the bags don't stick well to the tray and they end up ripping. Maybe you are doing something differnt then me.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 75
View gabe's Photo Album My Photos

We take 3m 72" plastic and line the bucket, we first fill the lined bucket with paint, then tape it to the lid. If you tape it first there might be some uneven spots.we do the same with paint buckets.
gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #19
"Member"

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 5,697 Times in 3,055 Posts
View NEPS.US's Photo Album My Photos

We own more than one paint bucket to roll out of. It really increases our overhead but it is well worth it.
NEPS.US is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NEPS.US For This Useful Post:
matt19422 (12-07-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 526
View playedout6's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I find the bags don't stick well to the tray and they end up ripping. Maybe you are doing something differnt then me.
Try dabbing the tray first with wet paint in 4-5 spots and a couple of spots along the inside sides before pulling the bag over the tray...and I also tape the ears on the front back under and I also tape the bag around the legs...actually I pull the legs thru the bag on the tray underside and snap a piece of tape on it to keep it from bunching up into the tray . Sounds like a lot of work...but takes about a minute and another minute to remove when done .

I also do see a lot of upside to tray liners...but they are expensive IMO and wasteful unless as someone said "you could just keep using them over ". Anytime I tried using them over I always found that the previous paint would not stick securely enough and when you added the new paint the old stuff broke off into it in places and created havoc .

Last edited by playedout6; 05-08-2012 at 09:02 PM..
playedout6 is offline   Reply With Quote