Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Metal Roof

72K views 24 replies 22 participants last post by  Repaintpro 
#1 ·
Anyone have much experience painting metals roofs? I have a rather large barn roof that a customer wants us to bid. Also, they have a grain bin as well. I have easy access to a SW store, so that is more than likely what brand I would use. I need some recommended proven products to try. The roof does have a decent amount of rust, so it will need some prep and then probably one coat of primer and two coats of finish. I just figured some of you guys on here have more experience in the industrial area than I do. Residential is my expertise!

#3 ·
If you talk to manufacturers reps, they generally try to over-engineer roof systems due to the beating they take. I have seen people use acrylics over an oil primer, linseed-oil based paint over oil primer, and cheap fibered aluminum coatings. You may see 2-4 years out of these systems. The last roof I was involved in was 2 coats of general purpose epoxy and a finish coat of aliphatic urethane. While it costs probably 5 times as much (minimum), some manufacturers will say it will last 12-15 years.

#4 ·
Out here in farm country we wire brush to remove loose rust and apply Insl-X Rust Arrestor. You can then apply your prefered latex top coat. Yes I have used it on my own tin roof, my neighbors and a 10,000 sq ft comercial job. (we did rusted bolt heads and any rust spots on the metal siding) It works. Here's a link.

http://www.nextag.com/INSLX-IN11971-RA-0104-588416183/prices-html

Benjamin Moore owns Coronado Paints which owns Insl-X

#6 ·
You know, metal roofs are not that hard to replace. It may be cheaper to replace it. Won't put money in your pocket though.

Mak, I'd bet it is the same thing, since they own Insl-x

#8 ·
Paul from Spectrum

I agree with Oakley. We have done many standing seam metal roofs in the Aidrondack Mountains that are now pushing 15 years and look great.

• Wet sand blast
  • One coat SW Recoatable Catylyzed Epoxy primer
  • Two coats Catylyzed Aliphatic Urethane (Corothane)
Your customer will love everything about this roof finish except the cost.

We just completed a roof using elastomerics, not real sharp and shiney looking, but a great system for barns and silos. Lower cost .
  • Wet sandblast to remove most rust, especially scale.
  • One coat Kem Bond or Opti Bond or Recoatable Epoxy primer.
  • Two coats Uniflex (available through SW, also called Kool Roof)
Using a teather and chicken ladders, or better yet, work out of the bucket truck.

#11 ·
Paul from Spectrum

We use a simple bucket of sharp sand and a 4000 PSI Simpson Water Shotgun. This does a real nice job, very fast and NO dust or chemicals, just water and sand.

We always spray our finishes on metal roofs. Not only is it faster, but you end up with a uniformly applied DFT, and no unsightly brush and roller marks.

#13 ·
I would go with Pro-Cryl Universal Primer from SW. It is a rust inhibitive and designed for both construction and maintenance applications. It is used as a primer under water based or solvent based high performance top coats. It is priced high but it is a product that will get the job done. I use this product on commercial jobs and i have never onced had to go for a call back as long as you prep rite.:thumbup:

#20 ·
I have experience with metal roof. We did one last year. Scraped the loose paint. PW with degreasser. Scraped some more loose paint. Sprayed devoe devflex (primer+2 coat).
Got a call this year from the client....the paint is peeling again.
I refunded 6k and told her she should sandblast or change the roof. The client was very impressed with my professionnalism.
So, no I dont have any good advice for you. Sorry....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.