Muralo patching products - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By PACman
  • 1 Post By PACman
  • 2 Post By PNW Painter

Old 12-30-2016, 01:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 776
Thanked 4,121 Times in 2,702 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos
Default Muralo patching products

Do any of you have any experience with the Muralo brand spackle? I have access to it and I'm thinking of carrying it. It is a little pricier then the more common brands such as Red Devil and Dap. It has been around quite a while but has been predominately an east coast brand so i have little knowledge of how it works.

If you could buy it for 15-20% more then the usual box store brands would it be worth it to you?
claudiui likes this.

"Screw you guys! I'm going home!" Cartmann
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2016, 02:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 348
Thanked 4,448 Times in 2,791 Posts
View cdpainting's Photo Album My Photos

I've heard of it but haven't seen it in any stores yet. Plus we use Minwax Wood Filler only now or similar brands.
cdpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 02:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 752
View futtyos's Photo Album My Photos
Default Muralo spackle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman View Post
Do any of you have any experience with the Muralo brand spackle? I have access to it and I'm thinking of carrying it. It is a little pricier then the more common brands such as Red Devil and Dap. It has been around quite a while but has been predominately an east coast brand so i have little knowledge of how it works.

If you could buy it for 15-20% more then the usual box store brands would it be worth it to you?
Here is a link that shows 3 Muralo spackles.

http://www.muralo.com/products/spackle_patch_repair.php

I used the one on the left (Interior Spackle Paste 681) at the last job I did for nail holes in baseboard and trim as well as for touching up a few dings produced along the way by the GC and myself. The store clerk said that Muralo won't flash. I did not see any obvious flashing, but I will have to pay more attention to the job I am currently on (spackoing over 2 coats of Advance on trim).

For a long time I have been using Durabond for nail holes. After talking with the paint store clerk, I decided to try Muralo. I normally use a small rubber spatula from the kitchen to apply Durabond and I first tried the Muralo with that tool. I found that by using a small metal or plastic spackle knife, the Muralo wil pop out after the knife firmly scrapes it over the nail hole. This leave a little mound that can be sanded down. My problem with this is that I found that after sanding down a bunch of these mounds, a number of them had bubbles that left small holes that now needed to be filled again.

I may try using the Muralo again, but this time I will make sure that the holes are filled flush or just under, then come back and fill the slight depression with a second coat. Hopefully this will result in a minimum amount of sanding as well as leaving a minimum amount of spackle on the surface around the nail hole.

I will keep you posted as to how this works.

As far as price goes, if I found a product that worked very well on nail holes, the amount of labor saved would make the price negligable.

I should stop now with my discussion of filling nail holes before I get booted off to the DIY forum.

futtyos
futtyos is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2016, 03:13 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 682
Thanked 3,900 Times in 2,017 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

I've been using Shurstik featherweight spackle since I started out. Nail holes, wall repairs, whatever. Works great, dries hard and very fast.

I've never had a problem with it, but I think Journeymanpainter has said he had problems with it flashing and said it smelled like xylene. Never noticed that, but I don't smell much anymore. Never noticed the flashing issue either, and luckily I can still see that if it happens.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:39 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 674
Thanked 1,639 Times in 1,052 Posts
View journeymanPainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbill7145 View Post
I've been using Shurstik featherweight spackle since I started out. Nail holes, wall repairs, whatever. Works great, dries hard and very fast.

I've never had a problem with it, but I think Journeymanpainter has said he had problems with it flashing and said it smelled like xylene. Never noticed that, but I don't smell much anymore. Never noticed the flashing issue either, and luckily I can still see that if it happens.
Yeah, I didn't like Shurstik at all.

I've never heard of this muralo product

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
journeymanPainter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 05:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymanPainter View Post
Yeah, I didn't like Shurstik at all.

I've never heard of this muralo product

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
Muralo is a Midwest/east coast USA brand. They are the actual originators of prepackaged spackle.
journeymanPainter likes this.

Old 12-31-2016, 01:38 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 129
View PNW Painter's Photo Album My Photos
Default Muralo patching products

I've never seen the Muralo products around Seattle.

Currently I'm having great luck with Crawfords Vinyl Spacking Paste for minor drywall dings. Or I'll mix it 50/50 with Elmer's Woodfiller for nail holes and other blemishes on trim. For really deep repairs I'll use Bondo or System Three Sculpt Wood Putty.

I'm always willing to pay a premium for products that can be used more efficiently than what I've been using.

If a store really wanted to sell me on it, it would be great to have a piece of trim with some nail holes in so I could see how how easy it is to tool the product. It would also be nice to see how well it sands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PACman and lilpaintchic like this.
PNW Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:25 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,708
Thanked 1,352 Times in 672 Posts
View thinkpainting/nick's Photo Album My Photos

Been using it for years gave my painter buddy's cases of it for xmas for years back. It's a good product. Muralo was huge here for many years. Made the first waterborne paints and there exterior endurance is a great product. Sadly they are all gone now ( the independent dealers )
thinkpainting/nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:26 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 20
View Stonehampaintdept's Photo Album My Photos

It's pretty common around here. It is a good product. I have had it in the past but ended up cutting it out of my assortment due to slow sales compared to others. No one has really complained that I got rid of it. Though my customer base is mainly homeowner, facilities maintenance and municipalities. Not very sensitive to nuances of the different fillers.
Stonehampaintdept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:03 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 934
View NACE's Photo Album My Photos

Actually the term Spackle was invented by Muralo in 1927. It has become a generic term for filler for wood, drywall, etc. I usd it for years and always found it to be the best. I believe the manufacturing and contamination of the factory lead to Muralos bankruptcy. Muralo always made some outstanding and innovative products with unique and outstanding resin technology and chemists. As a competitor, I always respected their state of the art and forward thinking technology. They perfected "Waterborne" with their Ultra line. Took leveling of an acrylic to new levels that other manufacturers scrambled to catch up to. Since they epwere purchased by the California Paint Company, they have drifted into the last of the regional grinder abyss and have compromised their irrelevancy much to the detriment of the Architectural coatings business. Muralo always raised the bar through quality products innovation and technology. Their X200 primer and waterbased enamel underbody were the standard of the industry with many attempting to duplicate and copy. I always feared their quality as a competitor, but always took advantage of their poor marketing, family infighting, and poor retailer support. I could go on and on, but can't speak of their current situation. Happy New Year!
NACE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NACE For This Useful Post:
thinkpainting/nick (01-02-2017)
Old 01-02-2017, 06:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NACE View Post
Actually the term Spackle was invented by Muralo in 1927. It has become a generic term for filler for wood, drywall, etc. I usd it for years and always found it to be the best. I believe the manufacturing and contamination of the factory lead to Muralos bankruptcy. Muralo always made some outstanding and innovative products with unique and outstanding resin technology and chemists. As a competitor, I always respected their state of the art and forward thinking technology. They perfected "Waterborne" with their Ultra line. Took leveling of an acrylic to new levels that other manufacturers scrambled to catch up to. Since they epwere purchased by the California Paint Company, they have drifted into the last of the regional grinder abyss and have compromised their irrelevancy much to the detriment of the Architectural coatings business. Muralo always raised the bar through quality products innovation and technology. Their X200 primer and waterbased enamel underbody were the standard of the industry with many attempting to duplicate and copy. I always feared their quality as a competitor, but always took advantage of their poor marketing, family infighting, and poor retailer support. I could go on and on, but can't speak of their current situation. Happy New Year!
Muralo as a brand seems to be no more I'm afraid, although some of their products are going to live on in the new California product line. There has been some advertising in a couple of trade magazines showing the new company logo and product lineups. The parent company is ICP Construction and the product lines will be under California Paints, Storm System, and Fixall. The Muralo spackle line is in the new catalog and is still packaged as a Muralo product, so it should (hopefully) will be getting more exposure in the next couple of years.

Basically what they are doing is taking the best performing products from Cali, Muralo, And Graham and combining them together as the new California line. Some new lines are complete lines from Muralo but with completely new names. The more contractor focused and industrial lines will be under the Fixall name. If anyone is interested there is a website-ICP-construction.com

The Following User Says Thank You to PACman For This Useful Post:
NACE (01-03-2017)