Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

One Coat?

8K views 23 replies 22 participants last post by  jkpaintdoc2 
#1 ·
are there any so called "tricks" to actually get coverage with one coat..or is it just wishful thinking........maybe certain roller sleeves/brushes, heavy hands, specific paint.........try as i may, i cannot ever ever get sufficient coverage with one coat...thanks in advance

#5 ·
ive used duration for the first time last week.

Guys told me it goes on smooth. Similar color, im pretty sure you can get away with it. Just have to watch with the cutting.

Touch ups blend right in with this product.

A good painted and well loaded brush/roll may be able to get away with similar color. I say may!

#6 ·
I know a paint that will give good coverage in 12 coats

it's $6.84/gal at walmart...I believe they make it by adding 4 parts water and 1 part food coloring :brows:

(we all know 2 coats is best...1 coat is typically a 'fresher-upper' coat and would ideally be a very similar color)

#9 ·
one coat is all about the paint... how much are you willing to pay per gallon for a one-coat paint?

The problem isn't whether we can make it... it's whether painter's are willing to pay for it... most are not...

So... what would you be willing to pay?

#10 ·
Personally, I don't care what paint costs. My customer is paying for it. It really comes down to what I can sell. And since I mark up the paint, I actually make more money on more expensive paint. Again, it comes down to what I can sell.

But selling isn't all about me. It's also what the manufacturer is helping me sell. Truth be sold, the contractor is the paint manufacturer's real salesman. Help me sell and I'll sell the best you can make.

Brian Phillips

#16 ·
I will go with duration for 1 coat coverage on similar color repaint.
It's a good product.

...Least evidence of hand tooling is certainly expected here. Then we have a short discussion regarding cost efficiency, labor rates and negotiated figures.

It's all good.
r

#18 ·
Used to paint new houses for a builder who only wanted one coat on the walls. We used a color called marshmellow made by National Paints in edison, nj. One coat coverage also depends on what you are painting over on the walls, a cheap flat will let the paint grab on verses a satin/eggshell on the wall will make the paint slide a country mile.

#23 ·
I have just recently sworn off of ever agreeing to do just one coat ever again (unless its the exact same color and finish). I myself, am never satisfied with the outcome. Its too difficult to touch up and i usually end up spending just as much time trying to improve the results as I would if I just did 2 coats.

:wallbash:

#24 ·
ONE COAT,! that can be a very general statement, some times a interior flat can give you the result you are looking for, but when light hits a surface acertain way even aflat can show roller marks or lapping each job has itscorks promar 200 from sw is aconsistant winner for the money, several paint manufactures are trying to duplicate this line of products

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.