Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Painting a fireplace

5K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  JNLP 
#1 ·
HOs are considering painting the fireplace, trying to gather some info. It is an older home that is being rehabbed, with everything else being redone it will really look dated. A veneer might be an option as well. What do you think?

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I would rather leave them if they are in good shape. I would suggest to clean and maybe put a sealer with a sheen on it to brighten it up. If they don't like it you could always paint over it. If you paint it - it's done.

I painted this interior last spring to brighten up the room. Now the HO wants to paint the fireplace. I "think" I have almost talked her out of it. I even suggested putting up some type of false panel and put tile on it - anything to avoid ruining the brick.

Attachments

#14 ·
Tony, great link, thanks. The kit says it has several colors, seems like faux treatment.
Tsunami, the link I posted doesn't really say. links are no good, might cal them tomorrow.
One thing that concerns me is the edge/face of brick. The material in the middle is coarser than the top and bottom material. Keep the ideas coming, meeting with HO next week.
Thanks

#15 ·
RC, that link you posted looks really sweet. They seem to do it with a faux flair and there are at least 3 tones with some bricks being different colors. I wonder what they look like up close. Painted brick up close looks something nasty IMO, so if there was a way to faux stain it that would be idea. My parents have a dark, nasty, unused fireplace, I wonder if I could try something on that. I would think the heat and soot would also be factors. It would be cool to be able to offer a service like this for outdoor chimneys too to have them compliment a color change of a homes exterior.

#23 ·
Finished! HOs know someone that can faux, after they saw this they are considering leaving it. This is a home that a family has lived in and not changed in many years. It had red shag carpet and wall panelling. The owners are on a 6 month mission and the kids are doing it as a surprise!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.