Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Prime and 1 coat

5K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  MAK-Deco 
#1 ·
I had asked this question in another thread and didn't get a response, but I am curious. Those of you who prefer to use a primer and one coat of finish on exteriors. How do you get one coat coverage over your primer, and if you don't, how do you approach getting paid for a second coat? If we do a full prime on exterior repaints I always spec 2 finish coats. It just doesn't seem like I would be getting enough coverage over the primer (bleed through). Also I'm suprised at how many times a customer will say that the other bids they have received for their interior repaint is for one prime and one finish instead of 2 coats of finish over previously painted walls:blink:

#2 ·
I had asked this question in another thread and didn't get a response, but I am curious. Those of you who prefer to use a primer and one coat of finish on exteriors. How do you get one coat coverage over your primer, and if you don't, how do you approach getting paid for a second coat? If we do a full prime on exterior repaints I always spec 2 finish coats. It just doesn't seem like I would be getting enough coverage over the primer (bleed through). Also I'm suprised at how many times a customer will say that the other bids they have received for their interior repaint is for one prime and one finish instead of 2 coats of finish over previously painted walls:blink:
Maybe you can print out the data sheet on the paint and show it to the customer. Explain how you are going to do it both right and to manufacturers specs. Here's a link to S/W Resilience data sheet. In all cases they recommend two coats.
Put yourself in the customer's corner. Tell them why your way is right, back it up with documentation, and ask them to compare apples to apples. (Your right way price, vs. the wrong way price) Hope it helps.

http://www.paintdocs.com/webmsds/webPDF.jsp?SITEID=STORECAT&prodno=640413340&doctype=PDS&lang=E

#3 ·
We follow the paints instructions. :thumbup:

@bikerboy... I've been printing out the data sheets on all material we use to keep in a binder. Nice to have available to show them in print when they give you the "he said you can do it this way & save money" crap.

#4 ·
NOW that's a good idea! I have emailed them to customers before, but it would be better to carry them. Sounds like a good weekend project for me. Thanks!:thumbsup:

A tip for everybody. Last year we landed a job on a deep red. Everyone else was charging for three coats, we said we could do it in two, and emailed a link to the AURA data sheet (documenting our claim). We got the job, even though we were one of the highest bids. (I think the highest) Obviously it was not price, but the fact we took the time to communicate and educate the customer and therefore appeared more professional and knowledgable. (and who knows if we were?)

#5 ·
I think homeowners that get their home regularly painted every 5-6 years can get away with one coat each time. It's just that most homeowners have this really mysterious view that a paint job is forever. And then put it off as long as possible, until the ingress and water damage is has thoroughly compromised their paint system down to it's sealer coat. If everyone had their homes painted regularly as maintenance - I think scraping would become a thing of the past.

#6 ·
I had asked this question in another thread and didn't get a response, but I am curious. Those of you who prefer to use a primer and one coat of finish on exteriors. How do you get one coat coverage over your primer? I am really looking for a response to this question. I never do this but have read here that others do.

#7 · (Edited)
I had asked this question in another thread and didn't get a response, but I am curious. Those of you who prefer to use a primer and one coat of finish on exteriors. How do you get one coat coverage over your primer? I am really looking for a response to this question. I never do this but have read here that others do.
On the rare occasion that is semi-appropriate (such as repainting interior walls with smokers) we will tint the primer. I prefer to prime and do 2 coats, but sometimes the price starts getting crazy. The tinted primer seals in the stains and we don't have any coverage issues.

I'm not sure we've ever done this on exteriors, except for some minor touch up work. We used the same approach.

Brian Phillips

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.