CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 12:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View llanier's Photo Album My Photos
Default Problems with Duration Exterior Paint

I'm a homeowner in Houston, TX. I just had my two-story home painted with Duration exterior paint - two coats applied to Artesan Hardiplank. Applied with a sprayer and the paint dried very streaky and uneven. The Sherwin Williams Rep said it would take about a week to dry thoroughly and the streakiness would go away. I found that to be unreasonable. Plus a week later and it's still streaky. One wall even had a third coat applied by spraying and still dried uneven. I have complete confidence in the contractor. Their craftsmanship has been impeccable. How can this problem be fixed? Did the painter do something wrong? Use the wrong tip? The first coat I noticed was uneven, allowing some of the hardiplank primer (which is primed from the factory) to show through. I questioned the painter about this and he assured me the second coat would resolve the problem. Not so. He admittedly doesn't like using the Duration paint but that isn't the issue here. Is there a trick to getting this paint to apply evenly? Remember even the third coat dried streaky. I'm wondering if rolling or brushing another coat would solve the problem. Any advice from you professionals out there would be greatly appreicated. Thanks so much.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-07-2011, 01:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 6,431 Times in 4,334 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by llanier View Post
I'm a homeowner in Houston, TX. I just had my two-story home painted with Duration exterior paint - two coats applied to Artesan Hardiplank. Applied with a sprayer and the paint dried very streaky and uneven. The Sherwin Williams Rep said it would take about a week to dry thoroughly and the streakiness would go away. I found that to be unreasonable. Plus a week later and it's still streaky. One wall even had a third coat applied by spraying and still dried uneven. I have complete confidence in the contractor. Their craftsmanship has been impeccable. How can this problem be fixed? Did the painter do something wrong? Use the wrong tip? The first coat I noticed was uneven, allowing some of the hardiplank primer (which is primed from the factory) to show through. I questioned the painter about this and he assured me the second coat would resolve the problem. Not so. He admittedly doesn't like using the Duration paint but that isn't the issue here. Is there a trick to getting this paint to apply evenly? Remember even the third coat dried streaky. I'm wondering if rolling or brushing another coat would solve the problem. Any advice from you professionals out there would be greatly appreicated. Thanks so much.
Imo your painter should of been back brushing or back rolling the spray. This is not always necessary but when it comes to a professional finish it will evenly spread the paint so that it lays down properly and gets pushed into the substrate.

Color and sheen will also effect the sprayed look, if it was a dark color it may have needed to be mixed often. There are a lot of variables and if you had pics it would be even easier to diagnosis your problem.

I have seen many sprayed exteriors that looked like crap because they did not back brush or roll, you can often see the starts and stops of the spray pattern.

With that said this site is for the professionals. I recommend you posting this problem with pics at www.DIYChatroom.com. Many of our members are also members there, myself included. If you start the same thread with pics I would be glad to pop in and look over the pics and see if it is a different problem altogether.

With all that said I have to close this thread I look forward to seeing your post on the suggested forum.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Workaholic For This Useful Post:
llanier (10-10-2011), prototype66 (10-07-2011)
Closed Thread