Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

raw material shortage

6K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Wolverine 
#1 ·
you guys heard anything from your suppliers about raw material shortages? sounds like its mostly latex polymers and all the big boys are already talking about a rough new few months. if the big boys are having issues, i'm sure the smaller manufacturers will get hit harder and earlier.

#7 ·
wont be any price increases, demand for paint has really sky rocketed the last couple of months and raw materials mfg were not ready for it. There is going to be issues for a couple of months until they can ramp up production to meet the paint mfg's needs.

#9 ·
Don't quote me on this, as I can't completely recall, but it has/had something to do with the company that produces the resins for a lot of paint producers. The name of the company and the specific reasons are escaping me. Apparently production is backed up quite a bit. It sounded like the biggest hit market was/is the super fast drying paints for things like the DOT. I'd like to know if 'We do lines...' has heard anything or has noticed if materials have been harder to get or if prices have been affected yet.

#11 ·
There was a fire at a Dow plant that produced basic building block chemicals that are used to make acrylic resins. Customers (resin and paint manufacturers) are on allocation, and new customers are on a waiting list. Won't effect urethane or epoxy resin coatings. It's not an attempt to create an artificial shortage in order to raise the price, but the costs of rebuilding after the fire might be built into future price schedules.

#12 ·
I too heard about the DOW plant buring down. Looks like the next 90 days will be rough. No price increases so far, but who knows. My local SW rep has already told me the lower end products are no longer being produced (PM line) so they can use their limited supply for the higher end (higher priced) products like Cashmere and Duration. So, it appears no price increase, just no products at everyday price.

#13 ·
Yeah, I heard the fire story too. Mainly traffic paint now and caulk. My SW store wouldnt honor their advertised caulk price for the pro show. Made 3 calls to figure out they couldnt save me $5.00:whistling2: How much did that cost them. I plan on buying about 10 cases tomorrow before they up the price. Supposedly Lowes had contacted them to buy their caulk because they couldnt make any more and they declined.

#17 ·
I found out yesterday that PPG is raising the prices next month on all of the high performance lines like water-base DTM's. This will the second time that have raised the price this year :censored:.

#18 ·
Yep... Here is my thread from March...

http://www.painttalk.com/f2/short-supply-polymers-8365/

There was a fire at a Dow plant that produced basic building block chemicals that are used to make acrylic resins.
There were reports about a fire but Dow has said that those reports are false. All they are saying is that it was unspecified production issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.