CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 05-16-2010, 01:47 PM   #1

View Doug Dahlke's Photo Album My Photos
Default Removing Ivy

Been awhile since I was here. Tried the search function but wasn't seeing anything related. How do you remove ivy tendrils from stucco. The only answers I am getting say use a stiff brush and try to scrub it off. We start on a stucco house next week and there is ivy on a couple of places. Picture attached. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ivy1.jpg (118.4 KB, 15 views)

Doug Dahlke is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 05-16-2010, 02:05 PM   #2
Almost Gone

Thanked 5,215 Times in 3,203 Posts
View TJ Paint's Photo Album My Photos

why worry about removing it, since its gonna grow back anyway

Old 05-16-2010, 02:13 PM   #3

Thanked 1,021 Times in 622 Posts
View BrushJockey's Photo Album My Photos

The dreaded Ivy footies! 3m has nothing on the holding power of those bastids! I wish you luck!
Old 05-16-2010, 02:19 PM   #4

View BC_Painter's Photo Album My Photos

I tell my customers that it will never work clean, and the absolute fortune they'd spend to ensure they're all gone would be better spent on new stucco.

That being said, once they get a good scrub with a wire brush ( can still be a couple days depending on size of product and amount of ivy ) Usually painting the stucco will hide most of the evidence, and it will look pretty good for mush less money.

The ivy will likely grow back over it anyways so it's almost a moot point, but it's done me many successful jobs since I've started encountering it on this side of the rockies

Real Life Steve Austin the Bionic Man
BC_Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
Almost Gone

I mean, just tell them its an extra $2,000 or whatever for complete removal, or a lower price for a quick removal and repainting over some remains of the detritus.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:08 PM   #6
It is what it is.

Thanked 6,662 Times in 3,609 Posts
View Schmidt & Co.'s Photo Album My Photos

Clear expectations with your customer are paramount. You will never get all of it off. If you are painting, some always shows through the finish.

You can paint, with the understanding with your customer that some of it will still be visiable. Or you can re-stucco and cover it completely.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:55 PM   #7

Thanked 1,026 Times in 750 Posts
View johnpaint's Photo Album My Photos

I think it has a nice pattern.

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
johnpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to johnpaint For This Useful Post:
TJ Paint (05-16-2010)
Old 05-16-2010, 07:39 PM   #8
VOCs Test Dummy

View brushmonkey's Photo Album My Photos

You could tell the client its the latest rage in exteriors called 'Ivy Faux Texturing' & charge double.. Just kidding. Maybe call a garden supply store or a landscaping company & see what they recommend to loosen that plant superglue.
brushmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brushmonkey For This Useful Post:
Jason@API (05-17-2010)
Old 05-16-2010, 08:47 PM   #9
Senior Moment

View VanDamme's Photo Album My Photos

It seems like years ago I used a spray on product.....I'm pretty sure I applied through a pump garden sprayer....that loosened the ivy and then I scrubbed 90% off. Sorry, CRS so I don't recall the name.
VanDamme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:51 AM   #10

View boman47k's Photo Album My Photos

I have this to deal with, unless I can sell this old house and lot. I am told it is called cow itch. I cut it at the ground and sprayed with a garden sprayer. I did get a few rash spots butno itch. This on old asphalt shingle sideing on this side of the house. Maybe you can see it goes all the way up the weatherhead and onto the power lines.
I hope I have at least stalled its growth. There is not near as much green as it was last year when I bought it.

I noticed this pic looks like it was taken before the green growth had a chance to grow back this year. The regrowth had started back when I sprayed.

The old shiplap is still under the shingle siding. The shingle siding will come off at some point, and the house will be resided if the lap siding cannot be salvaged. I just don't want to deal with this cow itch until I feel I can do it without breaking out all over.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg main north.jpg (118.6 KB, 9 views)
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:47 AM   #11
Almost Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by boman47k View Post
I have this to deal with, unless I can sell this old house and lot. I am told it is called cow itch. I cut it at the ground and sprayed with a garden sprayer. I did get a few rash spots butno itch. This on old asphalt shingle sideing on this side of the house. Maybe you can see it goes all the way up the weatherhead and onto the power lines.
I hope I have at least stalled its growth. There is not near as much green as it was last year when I bought it.

I noticed this pic looks like it was taken before the green growth had a chance to grow back this year. The regrowth had started back when I sprayed.

The old shiplap is still under the shingle siding. The shingle siding will come off at some point, and the house will be resided if the lap siding cannot be salvaged. I just don't want to deal with this cow itch until I feel I can do it without breaking out all over.
Wear long sleeves and gloves, or, hire some kids looking for work this summer.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:39 AM   #12

I was up there a few weeks ago and was trying to get a good look at the lines going in the weatherhead. It still has some regrowth on it, but it had not rained for few days at the time. When I got closer to try to look up through the growth, a drip of water landed right in my eye. I shut that eye tight, held it shut, and went home to rinse it fearing I would have some adverse reaction since it came off this cow itch.

Not sure I would want to expose someone else to it unless they adults and aware of possible problems.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:52 AM   #13
Almost Gone

Quote:
I was up there a few weeks ago and was trying to get a good look at the lines going in the weatherhead. It still has some regrowth on it, but it had not rained for few days at the time. When I got closer to try to look up through the growth, a drip of water landed right in my eye. I shut that eye tight, held it shut, and went home to rinse it fearing I would have some adverse reaction since it came off this cow itch.

Not sure I would want to expose someone else to it unless they adults and aware of possible problems.
Touche
Old 05-22-2010, 12:11 PM   #14

Appreciate all the input on this. I did talk to a restoration chem supplier about this and they said a caustic cleaner would take it off but would damage the stucco. We start on this next week. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:36 AM   #15
Almost Gone

Quote:

chemical goggles dude.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:23 AM   #16

If Iha any idea I would be looking up through this stuff that close, at that angle, and had any thought there might be some moisture on it, I would definitely have been wearing some kind of eye protection.

Good idea if I mess with it again.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:49 PM   #17

Had some weather related issues with this one but finally got it done. Here is a pic of the finished wall. You can still see a small bit of the vine but we got about 95% of it off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PTCa3.jpg (103.3 KB, 9 views)
Old 06-17-2010, 09:52 PM   #18

View BC_Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Dahlke View Post
Had some weather related issues with this one but finally got it done. Here is a pic of the finished wall. You can still see a small bit of the vine but we got about 95% of it off.
I'd like to know how many people have NOT had rain issues lately, it's friggin ridiculous. Especially since I'm doing 99% exterior work atm.

Real Life Steve Austin the Bionic Man
BC_Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:53 PM   #19
VOCs Test Dummy

View brushmonkey's Photo Album My Photos

Turned out nice!
brushmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:55 PM   #20
It is what it is.

Thanked 6,662 Times in 3,609 Posts
View Schmidt & Co.'s Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC_Painter View Post
I'd like to know how many people have NOT had rain issues lately, it's friggin ridiculous. Especially since I'm doing 99% exterior work atm.
Same here. My exterior schedule has been, "interesting" lately......