Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
PROFESSIONAL PAINTERS: CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 05-19-2012, 01:37 PM   #1

View fpmr96a's Photo Album My Photos
Default Sikkens CRD Will Not Dry

I recently re-stained a mohogany porch that had 2-year old Sikkens CRD Translucent. I scuffed up and re-applied the same product.

The problem is that the stain never dried and remained sticky for 6 weeks. Upon calling Sikkens (5 times), the conclusion was that this product should not applied over prior applications and that the original layer was repelling the new layer. They said that we should have "waited until it faded to gray or sanded to bare wood".

After 6 weeks, I sanded down to bare wood and re-applied. First, I power-washed and let it dry for several days beforehand. But, it's been 24 hours and about 30% of the decking is still sticky (better than 99% last time). This is supposed to be dry to the touch in 2 - 4 hours.

I don't know what to do if this doesn't dry. We followed the directions, brushing (no rolling) and sanding to bare wood beforehand. Is this product inferior or did we do something wrong?

Thanks,
Andrew

fpmr96a is offline   Reply With Quote
Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!
Old 05-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #2

View Lead painter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmr96a View Post
I recently re-stained a mohogany porch that had 2-year old Sikkens CRD Translucent. I scuffed up and re-applied the same product.

The problem is that the stain never dried and remained sticky for 6 weeks. Upon calling Sikkens (5 times), the conclusion was that this product should not applied over prior applications and that the original layer was repelling the new layer. They said that we should have "waited until it faded to gray or sanded to bare wood".

After 6 weeks, I sanded down to bare wood and re-applied. First, I power-washed and let it dry for several days beforehand. But, it's been 24 hours and about 30% of the decking is still sticky (better than 99% last time). This is supposed to be dry to the touch in 2 - 4 hours.

I don't know what to do if this doesn't dry. We followed the directions, brushing (no rolling) and sanding to bare wood beforehand. Is this product inferior or did we do something wrong?

Thanks,
Andrew
Are the areas thadont dry the more shaded areas of the deck?

Lead painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
Dan

View doctors11's Photo Album My Photos

Why didn't you chemically strip and neutralize it?
doctors11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #4
"Member"

Thanked 5,686 Times in 3,051 Posts
View NEPS.US's Photo Album My Photos

Sikkens is garbage now.
NEPS.US is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NEPS.US For This Useful Post:
NCPaint1 (05-19-2012), PressurePros (05-20-2012)
Old 05-19-2012, 02:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead painter View Post
Are the areas thadont dry the more shaded areas of the deck?
No ... The areas that haven't dried are in both full sun and shaded areas. Many areas in the shade are fully dry.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctors11 View Post
Why didn't you chemically strip and neutralize it?
Customer did not want me to use stripper due to many expensive shrubs nearby. But, I sanded to bare wood and power washed.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #7

View tntpainting's Photo Album My Photos

Alot has to do with what they put in these oil stains now to be more v o c compliant you have to just kinda deal with it tell them its just the sign of thetimes with all this eco- friendly crap i wont even use oil anymorr because of this. Almost all the companies that still make semi trans oil stains are having problems with shine and stick issues now brcause whatever there putting in these things now

Last edited by tntpainting; 05-19-2012 at 02:53 PM..
tntpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:45 PM   #8
Paint Store Owner

Thanked 2,972 Times in 1,796 Posts
View NCPaint1's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPS.US
Sikkens is garbage now.
Yep, you can now find the new box store version available soon. Its specially made for them, and the rest of us Sikkens dealers cannot buy it. Buh bye Sikkens :-P

As far as fixing the problem, I can tell you how bit why should I? Sikkens doesn't care about you, or their dealers....they cancelled the P3 program, they don't return calls, yours or mine. I even called them to see is a rep could come out and "spec my 6500' new log home" with no reply ....6 weeks ago. They're all concerned with their box store launch that they simply don't have time for any of us small fries. My rep died 2 years ago (was the best rep I've ever had, I know I've said that before) and I still have not met my "new" rep....or even spoke on the phone for that matter.

They have now changed their ordering policy....any orders less than 100 gallons are subject to a flat $50 shipping fee.....OK cool. They no longer split cases, have to order in full boxes (4 gallons a box) I had a customer need 1 gallon of Cetol1 and 1 gallon 23plus. I couldn't order it....I would have had to order 8 gallons total, 4 of each product, plus a $50 shipping fee! For 2 gallons! Yeah.....

www.northcromwellpaint.com
NCPaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #9

View madochio's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPaint1 View Post
Yep, you can now find the new box store version available soon. Its specially made for them, and the rest of us Sikkens dealers cannot buy it. Buh bye Sikkens :-P

As far as fixing the problem, I can tell you how bit why should I? Sikkens doesn't care about you, or their dealers....they cancelled the P3 program, they don't return calls, yours or mine. I even called them to see is a rep could come out and "spec my 6500' new log home" with no reply ....6 weeks ago. They're all concerned with their box store launch that they simply don't have time for any of us small fries. My rep died 2 years ago (was the best rep I've ever had, I know I've said that before) and I still have not met my "new" rep....or even spoke on the phone for that matter.

They have now changed their ordering policy....any orders less than 100 gallons are subject to a flat $50 shipping fee.....OK cool. They no longer split cases, have to order in full boxes (4 gallons a box) I had a customer need 1 gallon of Cetol1 and 1 gallon 23plus. I couldn't order it....I would have had to order 8 gallons total, 4 of each product, plus a $50 shipping fee! For 2 gallons! Yeah.....
gee....i get the feeling that this has hit a nerve with you
as for sikkens in the big box. it will/is a differnt product then what we as idpt dealers have. i am happy they did this, due to the fact that i will be getting calls on why it does not work. now i can tell them this product is only sold at big box, i cannot help you.
personly i give it two years. home depo is all about behr and will continue to push behr, not sikkens. all it is to home depo is a name.
madochio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #10
Paint Store Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by madochio

gee....i get the feeling that this has hit a nerve with you
as for sikkens in the big box. it will/is a differnt product then what we as idpt dealers have. i am happy they did this, due to the fact that i will be getting calls on why it does not work. now i can tell them this product is only sold at big box, i cannot help you.
personly i give it two years. home depo is all about behr and will continue to push behr, not sikkens. all it is to home depo is a name.
The problem is : people don't know the difference. They just know that you're $12/gal+ more expensive. That's it. They don't know that its a specific line, nor do they care. They simply will leave your store...period.

Fast forward to the box store dumping Sikkens. You think you're going to rake it in now? NOT LIKELY. Remember the times before SRD? When DEK Base was around? Sikkens had an uphill battle overcoming that. They killed their name with that product ...and they will again with this mistake. Who got them out of the DEK base disaster? We did, independent dealers and contractors. You think I'm going to do it again? Not a chance.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:57 PM   #11

View Rick the painter's Photo Album My Photos

Wow, I was just looking at some Sikkens charts today,hoping to find a product that is still decent. Right now we are using Cabots solid oil white on an old,water front beach house.I thought that the 2012 stuff would be like glue,its just the opposite.Its thin as hell,barely white,and sags,runs like crazy.What a disaster this whole v o c crap!.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #12
Dan

View doctors11's Photo Album My Photos

For solid stain have you tried BM Arborcoat? I've used it about six times on decks over the past year and so far they all look great. It's funny, the label says "self priming" but if you call BM tech, they still recommend an oil primer over bare wood first. I've done it both ways and can't tell the difference after a year.
doctors11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to doctors11 For This Useful Post:
NEPS.US (05-19-2012)
Old 05-19-2012, 07:24 PM   #13

Quote:
As far as fixing the problem, I can tell you how bit why should I?
I am begging you to tell me how to fix this ....

Believe me - I'm on your side regarding Sikkens. They've been jerking me around each time I called and I've been telling all of my local Painting Contractor friends about my experiences.

I'm done using their products forever!
Old 05-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #14
Paint Store Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmr96a

I am begging you to tell me how to fix this ....

Believe me - I'm on your side regarding Sikkens. They've been jerking me around each time I called and I've been telling all of my local Painting Contractor friends about my experiences.

I'm done using their products forever!
Wipe it with thinner, should break the film and allow it to dry.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NCPaint1 For This Useful Post:
fpmr96a (05-19-2012), NEPS.US (05-19-2012), TJ Paint (05-19-2012)
Old 05-19-2012, 08:20 PM   #15
Almost Gone

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,137 Posts
View TJ Paint's Photo Album My Photos

Penofin ftw
Old 05-19-2012, 08:31 PM   #16
Paint Store Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Paint
Penofin ftw
No dude...just no. In the world of Alkyd stains, TWP is still king, at least for a little while longer until they green it out of existence. Granted, depending on where you live, the climate, exposure, etc etc, different stains perform better. Penofin just outright sucks. It turns black with age (rapidly) and generally looks crappy pretty quick. SRD is still good, and its a shame that so many dealers plan on dropping Sikkens. I know of 7 already just in my area, and more to come.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NCPaint1 For This Useful Post:
NEPS.US (05-19-2012), plainpainter (05-20-2012), PressurePros (05-20-2012)
Old 05-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Wipe it with thinner, should break the film and allow it to dry.
Thank you very much ...

Do you think the areas I wipe with thinner will discolor at all?
Old 05-19-2012, 09:36 PM   #18
Paint Store Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmr96a

Thank you very much ...

Do you think the areas I wipe with thinner will discolor at all?
Nope, shouldn't. I'm guessing the wet/sticky areas are also shiny. It may dull those areas a bit. Don't worry, the whole deck will dull eventually. You probably applied too much stain, no biggie. Now you know how to fix it, and don't do that again :-) Its easy to end up like you did. Especially if the deck is shaded, or surrounded by landscaping. These lower VOC products need sunlight and airflow to cure properly.

The Following User Says Thank You to NCPaint1 For This Useful Post:
fpmr96a (05-19-2012)
Old 05-19-2012, 10:27 PM   #19
"Member"

Thanked 5,686 Times in 3,051 Posts
View NEPS.US's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Penofin just outright sucks. It turns black with age (rapidly) and generally looks crappy pretty quick. SRD is still good,
Found that out about Penofin the hard way.

SRD sucks now too.
NEPS.US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:33 PM   #20
Paint Store Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPS.US

SARDINIA sucks now too.
We still have the good one here. I'm almost sold out, and won't be reordering :-( maybe if I absolutely have to, and only if I hit the right number, and know that I won't have leftover inventory.

The Following User Says Thank You to NCPaint1 For This Useful Post:
NEPS.US (05-19-2012)

Tags
sikkens