SnapDry™ Semi-Gloss Door & Trim Paint SnapDry™ Semi-Gloss Door & Trim Paint - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree41Likes

Old 07-31-2016, 09:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 296
View Mr Smith's Photo Album My Photos
Default SnapDry™ Semi-Gloss Door & Trim Paint SnapDry™ Semi-Gloss Door & Trim Paint

Anyone use this new paint from SW yet?

It supposedly dries in 1 hr and they say you can shut the door closed too. Sounds like Breakthrough with no blocking issues. Good thing is it comes in a semi-gloss instead of the usual Satin.

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/home...or-trim-paint/
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2016, 08:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 30
View AngieM's Photo Album My Photos

I plan on using it in the next few weeks for an exterior door. I will revisit this thread and give my review then.
AngieM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AngieM For This Useful Post:
ElTacoPaco (08-02-2016), Mr Smith (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 03:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieM View Post
I plan on using it in the next few weeks for an exterior door. I will revisit this thread and give my review then.
I'm looking forward to reading your review. It could be a real game changer! They've never heard of that product in Canada yet. Looks like most of the US painters haven't either.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:02 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2
View KevinsICC's Photo Album My Photos

I have used Snapdry. As with most new finishes it has a few issues, mostly in the drying time, and the colorant/ color stay when thinning the product. I don't know what most other painters do, but i tend to thin products like Solo or fast drying oil enamels, with appropriate solvent. I do this to open the product up and allow it more dry time since when things dry to fast they don't lie down well.
I used SnapDry two days after the release and noticed two things like i said. one was the the product dried so fast out of my HVLP system that it left odd patterning on the door. so i cleaned the gun out and thinned the product down with a minor amount of water, usually looking for the consistancy for maple syrup. then reapplyed the product and had success. The homeowner had a small accident and scracthed the door pretty visibly so asked if i could fix. I had my foreman onsite sand and clean the panel and finish it with a fine nap roller (purdy fine finish). Good news was it covered up fine and rolled out great, he did tell me he noticed some strange discoloration but as it was the last thing he did that day did not have a chance to check it after it dried. It was definitley discolored the next day when i arrived. as i did not have the HVLP onsite i mixed the product completely and re-applied with roller and brush, again it flowed nicely and it covered well. It was discolored and not acceptable. So after accquiring a new quart from the S-W rep and my HVLP i fixed the door with alittle thinning, it looked great again.
In all i would say the product is very fast dry, almost alittle to much for brush and roll application unless your under 50 degrees farenheight. when thinned it does not hold onto color well unless being sprayed. i talked to the rep about this and he said he would talk to the lab, see what they said was going on. he also mentioned that it was not ment to be thinned, i responded that it was patterning on spray and was worried it wouldn't apply by Brush/roll without thinning as well.
i have used it alot recently with success with alittle thinning and spray, on deep base under 50 degrees it applys like a dream and flows out nice like i thought. would love to hear how others are using it.
KevinsICC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KevinsICC For This Useful Post:
AngieM (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 08:13 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,014
Thanked 1,499 Times in 737 Posts
View epretot's Photo Album My Photos

What latex paint doesn't dry in an hour? I get that it blocks well...but there are multiple products that do that. Why change to a fast dry product? They all dry fast.

This is one of thise gimmicky things Home Depot came up with so SW followed suit.
PACman likes this.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:26 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 32
View radio11's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by epretot View Post
What latex paint doesn't dry in an hour? I get that it blocks well...but there are multiple products that do that. Why change to a fast dry product? They all dry fast.

This is one of thise gimmicky things Home Depot came up with so SW followed suit.

My rep was trying to push it on me a few months back--really haven't had the urge to try it yet. Is it a product marketed mostly to DIYers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
radio11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:39 PM   #7
King Dude

Rewards Points: 114
Thanked 4,668 Times in 2,611 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

I'm not really getting it either. I could use breakthrough or SW Multi surface and it'll be dry in an hour or less. Even the name seems kinda diyer. I wonder how much it is, I get MSA for $30 doubt it's any cheaper than that.
Rbriggs82 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rbriggs82 For This Useful Post:
epretot (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 09:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinsICC View Post
I have used Snapdry. As with most new finishes it has a few issues, mostly in the drying time, and the colorant/ color stay when thinning the product. I don't know what most other painters do, but i tend to thin products like Solo or fast drying oil enamels, with appropriate solvent. I do this to open the product up and allow it more dry time since when things dry to fast they don't lie down well.
I used SnapDry two days after the release and noticed two things like i said. one was the the product dried so fast out of my HVLP system that it left odd patterning on the door. so i cleaned the gun out and thinned the product down with a minor amount of water, usually looking for the consistancy for maple syrup. then reapplyed the product and had success. The homeowner had a small accident and scracthed the door pretty visibly so asked if i could fix. I had my foreman onsite sand and clean the panel and finish it with a fine nap roller (purdy fine finish). Good news was it covered up fine and rolled out great, he did tell me he noticed some strange discoloration but as it was the last thing he did that day did not have a chance to check it after it dried. It was definitley discolored the next day when i arrived. as i did not have the HVLP onsite i mixed the product completely and re-applied with roller and brush, again it flowed nicely and it covered well. It was discolored and not acceptable. So after accquiring a new quart from the S-W rep and my HVLP i fixed the door with alittle thinning, it looked great again.
In all i would say the product is very fast dry, almost alittle to much for brush and roll application unless your under 50 degrees farenheight. when thinned it does not hold onto color well unless being sprayed. i talked to the rep about this and he said he would talk to the lab, see what they said was going on. he also mentioned that it was not ment to be thinned, i responded that it was patterning on spray and was worried it wouldn't apply by Brush/roll without thinning as well.
i have used it alot recently with success with alittle thinning and spray, on deep base under 50 degrees it applys like a dream and flows out nice like i thought. would love to hear how others are using it.
With all due respect you shouldn't be spraying acrylic paints with a HVLP. You have to thin too much and it comes out too hot. I assume that you are using a turbine and I've never liked them for latex paints. I had one for 10 years and could never get a fine finish from an acrylic,especially to a large surface like a door.

Thinning down a water based coating too much can ruin it. At most you should thin a product 5-10%. I remember having to thin water based paints up to 40% for my HVLP just so it would atomize and lay down properly. Ridiculous. That might be different today with Titan's 6 stage, but the air is still HOT coming out of a turbine. That is a recipe for disaster with a fast drying acrylic.

To the other poster,yes all acrylic paints dry in an hour but this paint is rock hard (supposedly) and won't stick in an hour. You can hang the door and close it in 60 minutes which is unheard of with acrylic paints. It can be tricky handling a door (after an hour) that has been sprayed flat on a saw horse. Fumbling to hang a freshly painted door in which the hinges won't line up(on the first,2nd,3rd,4th,5th,6th 7th... attempt) can ruin a finish. There are some lousy carpenters out there! And front steel doors are heavy!

There are still fast drying xylene based topcoats available but who likes to work with them? We are talking about exterior coatings.

As far as using Breakthrough instead of this, I won't spend $85/gallon for BT (especially for a GD door) and it doesn't come in semi-gloss,which 90% of my customers prefer.

Last edited by Mr Smith; 08-03-2016 at 10:14 PM..
Old 08-03-2016, 11:03 PM   #9

Painting a door with one hour left in the day is horrible project management.

Furthermore, one can just pull the weather strips.
slinger58 and ProScott like this.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by epretot View Post
Painting a door with one hour left in the day is horrible project management.

Furthermore, one can just pull the weather strips.
Nice strawman. These silly digs are not effective communication. Painters.

Sometimes chit happens like rain or a door is scratched late in the day and needs a quick re-coat. it's not always possible to spray a front door while it is on it's hinges. You have to be very careful with occupied houses when spraying and often times some hardware has to come off the door prior to painting.

The point being, it is difficult for one man to handle a freshly painted, heavy steel exterior door and not mess it up. I recently had a door that was painted and I had 1 minute to take it off the saw horse and hang it before a torrential downpour. Lucky for me,the door had been drying for 8 hours. Imagine if it was sprayed an hour before with a typical acrylic?

RE: Weather stripping. Not always possible to remove when the carpenters staple it into place. Sometimes, in the older houses, you get the weather stripping type that is fastened with screws and they are either stripped or filled in with paint. They are often impossible to remove unless you want to spend an hour on it and replace it which is hard to find.

If you want to argue against the merits of a semi-gloss exterior paint that can be hung in 1 HR without blocking then go for it sport. I'm posting in here to help others and don't need the aggravation.

Last edited by Mr Smith; 08-03-2016 at 11:25 PM..
Old 08-04-2016, 07:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smith View Post
Nice strawman. These silly digs are not effective communication. Painters.

Sometimes chit happens like rain or a door is scratched late in the day and needs a quick re-coat. it's not always possible to spray a front door while it is on it's hinges. You have to be very careful with occupied houses when spraying and often times some hardware has to come off the door prior to painting.

The point being, it is difficult for one man to handle a freshly painted, heavy steel exterior door and not mess it up. I recently had a door that was painted and I had 1 minute to take it off the saw horse and hang it before a torrential downpour. Lucky for me,the door had been drying for 8 hours. Imagine if it was sprayed an hour before with a typical acrylic?

RE: Weather stripping. Not always possible to remove when the carpenters staple it into place. Sometimes, in the older houses, you get the weather stripping type that is fastened with screws and they are either stripped or filled in with paint. They are often impossible to remove unless you want to spend an hour on it and replace it which is hard to find.

If you want to argue against the merits of a semi-gloss exterior paint that can be hung in 1 HR without blocking then go for it sport. I'm posting in here to help others and don't need the aggravation.
You're right. The only way to paint a door is by spraying it on saw horses with snap dry 1 hour before quitting time.

My apologies.
chrisn and slinger58 like this.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:43 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 32
View radio11's Photo Album My Photos

Mr. Smith (or maybe Mr. Sherwin or Mr. Williams?), I appreciate announcements, updates and the corresponding feedback on new products. I've recently tried and now enjoy using 2 or 3 newer SW products and will continue to do so when the need arises. I also appreciate your passionate explanation (and been there done that swagger) on how and where to use Snapdry (sorry, don't know how or why to type the trademark?). Only time will tell if this particular product will stand the test of time--especially with professionals who feel they know best how to paint a door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PACman likes this.
radio11 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to radio11 For This Useful Post:
ElTacoPaco (08-04-2016), epretot (08-04-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 06:13 PM   #13

Painting is more of an art then science IMO. There are so many variables to consider in every different situation, it's impossible to know it all.
So, let's stop being know- it -alls. I appreciate everyone's perspective and experiences. And even more so, that you're willing to share them.
I'm thinking back to a post I asked earlier about how those of you who use hvlps measure viscosity. I got a reply with an insult asking me how I could consider myself a painter and not know that. Really? I thought that's what this forum was for. To help each other better ourselves in our field.

Last edited by AngieM; 08-04-2016 at 06:18 PM..
Bigjoe (12-01-2016), loaded brush (08-04-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 06:17 PM   #14

I'm finding it harder and harder to wade through the insults and jabs to pick out good solid information I can take back to work and use.
DJElkins (12-02-2016), loaded brush (08-04-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 06:58 PM   #15

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,156 Posts
View SemiproJohn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I'm finding it harder and harder to wade through the insults and jabs to pick out good solid information I can take back to work and use.
There are people on here who are extremely helpful and who never insult others. All the moderators, and without dropping any names, some who have been here for many years.

I don't appreciate the insults either, but I'm accustomed to reading most of the posts and take the bad with the good.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:27 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 110
View canopainting's Photo Album My Photos

I Have used it several times on rentals, beaters, blow and go, home owners that are on a tight schedule who don't want to leave their home while I'm there. It does dry fast. I haven't brushed it as I usually spray it with a 4-11 through my Proshot2. I can shut the door after 45 to 60 min. with no blocking when I have come back to check.
canopainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:26 AM   #17
very senior member

Rewards Points: 188
Thanked 5,209 Times in 3,167 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Hang around awhile, you'll get used to it.
Wildbill7145 likes this.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
AngieM (08-05-2016), RH (09-10-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 08:33 PM   #18

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,156 Posts
View SemiproJohn's Photo Album My Photos

I have gone through 3 quarts of Snap Dry semi gloss white (with a 1/64 shot of black added to each quart). I have been painting doors, baseboard, and door trim (interior) which were painted previously a white semi gloss (not sure which paint was originally used but it wasn't oil).

I think I have painted nine doors and their corresponding trim, and quite a bit of baseboard, so I think I can say I know how this paint "applies."

First of all, everything I'm putting another coat over was originally done by brush, as brush marks are visible. After wiping everything down with a deglosser (some sanding, not much), then wet ragging, I have been brushing everything.

The first thing that became apparent with Snap Dry is the small window of open time. You cannot go back into an area you applied paint to after a minute or so or you will get roping. So, if brushing, you have to have a sound system/technique to keep a wet edge. These doors are all recessed, so I found that painting the recessed areas and their inner panels first to be wise. Wiping off any stray paint that gets on the outer panels is mandatory, or I would get flashing when I painted over the stray paint. Then I paint the horizontal panels, again wiping off any paint that gets on verticals. Lastly, I paint the verticals, taking care not to get any paint onto previously painted areas.

I sort of enjoy having to work fast and needing to be really particular about applying as uniform an amount of paint as possible, while paying close attention to brush strokes. A little bit of this paint goes a long way, but again, I have to be really attentive to the process due to the fast drying time.

By the way, I painted a six foot length of base and one door side to get the customer's approval before continuing, and she was happy. I have not used Snap Dry on an unpainted substrate, and I am curious how that will go. It doesn't level as well as ProClassic (water based), but it also doesn't sag nearly as much, so I like the trade off.

I tried rolling one door to speed up things (3/16'' mohair from SW, which is recommended on the PDS). I thought the sleeve left too much of an orange peel stipple so I tipped off each section with my brush.
I think it dries faster than one hour. Baseboards and door trim painted "easy" compared to the doors...plenty of time due to their narrow size.

By the way, this house is "dark" in that, even with lights on, I have to use a work light and point it at what I'm painting, and going over white with white...well, this is probably not the best place to try out this product. I'm stubborn, however.

I have to paint the exterior of a new set of french doors in black semi-gloss, and I think I'm going to give Snap Dry a shot on those as well. They are not made of wood, but a type of plastic or fiber glass. Injection molded according to the website. Anyway, I had to gel stain the interior of the french doors, and that was a pain that probably deserves its own thread. The exterior gets direct sun nearly all day, so I'm a bit apprehensive about the Snap Dry not giving me adequate time. I will find out when the weather permits. It has rained by noon every day at this house, and of course the last few days have been filled with rain due to Hurricane Hermine.

I'll just close with the thought that there are easier trim paints to use than Snap Dry (I would not refer to it as user friendly except over base/trim), but if you want fast drying paint and don't mind the "hassle" of working meticulously and rapidly, it does as advertised.

Last edited by SemiproJohn; 09-02-2016 at 08:37 PM..
SemiproJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SemiproJohn For This Useful Post:
AngieM (09-02-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 10:56 PM   #19

Any pictures you'd care to share?
Old 09-02-2016, 11:57 PM   #20

View DJohnston's Photo Album My Photos

I have used snap dry on a solid metal door you have to be a quick painter for this product to work. I prefer Pro Industrial O Voc acrylic or porch and floor enamel from SW for doors.
DJohnston is offline   Reply With Quote