Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Spraying Ceiling and not painting walls

12K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  scott painting 
#1 ·
How do I spray a popcorn ceiling without painting the walls and trim?????

The homeowner wants that cut line between the cieling and walls.

I was going to put tape on the top edge of the wall and drape plastic down the wall.

1. I this the most effective way???
  2. Is there a tool to help speed up the process of taping and putting plastic on the walls?

#3 ·
Hanging the plastic is about the best way to do it.

I've rolled popcorn in my painter lifetime, it's not the way to go. Even if sucessful at rolling, about 20% of the popcorn will come off in your roller and that's the best case scenario. Worst case is that the moisture will loosen big chunks that will stick to your roller and leave bald spots on the ceiling to be reparied.

As for taping the walls, do a test spot first. Sometimes the corners aren't as stable as they should be and paint will peel off with the tape. You could try blue tape, but blue tape does not stop bleed very well. If it were my job, I'd make sure to find some leftover wall paint to touch up with.

Good luck.

#9 ·
Yes, I do it all the time. 1st use blue tape. make a perfect line around the room, leave half the tape unstuck (bottom)then drop plastic .35 mil would be best.

You have to be careful. the weight of the paint on the plastic could pull down your edges....make sure they are taped tight. Lay drops. move furniture to the center of the room, christmas wrap all furniture with plastic and tape.

spray one coat one direction...get a coffee......then spray another the other direction. take down plastic and tape first..if you are good, you'll use a continuous piece of tape and it will all come off in one piece. Bag it, clean sprayer and take drops.....get payed.

#12 ·
That's the way to do it. although I don't use the blue tape first. I use blue tape (3M) with 9ft plastic film from SW and it is all a continuous piece, just as Kelly suggested. My plastic doesn't normally drop or fall down due to heavy paint load unless the walls are oily from nicotine or maybe oil residue from oil lanterns/candles. More often than not I don't have an issue. But yeah.... Kelly is spot on! :thumbsup:

#13 · (Edited)
Thanks Kelly

Thanks guys-
Kelly that was exactly what i was looking for. It's funny b/c I asked my cousin as well who does a lot of spraying and he had the same line you did about the coffee:

"Mike, spray the first coat in one direction and then grab a cup of coffee, then do the second coat in the opposite direction"

#14 ·
you asked for a quick way to mask off the walls,,,,,

3m has a roll with the tape and plastic in one package,,,,,,,,stick it up and drape it down the wall,,,works excellent

id also consider shooting it,,,,,,but would weigh my options (bagging and spraying versus cut and roll)

if its never been coated before, id shoot it

if it has been coated before,,,,i still might shoot it

#15 ·
Awesome I bought the 3M tool that tapes the plastic to the wall. I also bought a shield. I'm ready to go.

The popcorn isn't chalky so it seems as though it has been painted. I'm going to shoot it with a latex and see what happens. I HATE rolling oil on popcorn.:thumbup:

#19 ·
Spraying popcorn...

1. use a GEO masking gun first and make sure you press your thumb along the edge to lock it down. This is a fast masking method and you will mask a ceiling in less then 10 minutes. Use only blue tape.
2. There are rolls of plastic that are a couple of hundred feet long by 8 foot. Two people can mask a room in about 15 to 20 minutes with the above method.
3. Remove masking tape immediately or it will bond to paint and cause peeling.
4. use a .517 tip. Spray at least 18" from ceiling or it can blast popcorn off ceiling.

Hope this was helpfull.
Scott

How do I spray a popcorn ceiling without painting the walls and trim?????

The homeowner wants that cut line between the cieling and walls.

I was going to put tape on the top edge of the wall and drape plastic down the wall.

1. I this the most effective way???
  2. Is there a tool to help speed up the process of taping and putting plastic on the walls?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.