Stripping Cedar siding - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 05-28-2010, 11:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View Gary Smith's Photo Album My Photos
Default Stripping Cedar siding

Does anyone know how to strip Varnish or Shalac off Cedar Sidng - I think this was a factory applied finish. This siding gives the cabin a log look.
Most of the origanal finish has come off over the years especially the side facing the sun.
Because the surface is not flat it is difficult to get a sander of any kind on it.
Thanks
Gary
Gary Smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 05-29-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
Paint Store Owner

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,798 Posts
View NCPaint1's Photo Album My Photos

The coating is most likely Sikkens Log & Siding.

Have it Cob blasted. That similar to sand blasting but they use ground up corn cobs. It strips the finish without damaging the wood. That would be the absolute best way to strip finishes off of siding and log homes. Sikkens Log & Siding is a great product, but it needs to be maintained. A maintenance coat is required every 3-5 years even if looks like its not needed.

Cob blasting isnt cheap, and the companies that offer it ( at least in my area ) are few and far between. If you keep up on the maintenance though, it should be a one time expense.

www.northcromwellpaint.com
NCPaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NCPaint1 For This Useful Post:
Gary Smith (05-29-2010)
Old 05-29-2010, 11:13 PM   #3
Lambrecht Painting

Rewards Points: 594
View Lambrecht's Photo Album My Photos

Go to www.WASH-SAFE.com. They have a product called painters wash. It will remove the stain, is environmentally safe, and actually works. I used it to remove the stain finish off of my cedar log cabin house. It is easy to use, mix with water, spray it on with pump sprayer, wait 15 min, and rinse with pressure washer on low pressure ( about 100psi). You may have to do some areas twice. I am currently using it on a cedar shake house with excellent results. This is hand down the easiest product I have ever used to remove stain and/or clear coats. Talk to John Redmahn. Hope this helps. Good luck
Lambrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250
View hammerheart14's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Smith View Post
Does anyone know how to strip Varnish or Shalac off Cedar Sidng - I think this was a factory applied finish. This siding gives the cabin a log look.
Most of the origanal finish has come off over the years especially the side facing the sun.
Because the surface is not flat it is difficult to get a sander of any kind on it.
Thanks
Gary
Yep, it's called a grinder disk!!!!! You get a disk grinder and a few 36 grit disks and go to town. Much faster than using a chemical stripper. Just don't tear a hole into the cabin or anything. remember, keep the sanding even.
hammerheart14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:49 PM   #5

Thanked 5,919 Times in 3,428 Posts
View vermontpainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerheart14 View Post
Yep, it's called a grinder disk!!!!! You get a disk grinder and a few 36 grit disks and go to town. Much faster than using a chemical stripper.
Not at this altitude.

blog
vermontpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontpainter View Post
Not at this altitude.
what do you mean? i've disk grinded at 7,000 feet. sand blasting is easier, but costs alot. nothing's better than old fashioned sanding.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:52 PM   #7

Quote:
what do you mean? i've disk grinded at 7,000 feet. sand blasting is easier, but costs alot. nothing's better than old fashioned sanding.
Except for chemically stripping.

blog
Old 05-30-2010, 12:26 AM   #8
VOC Test Dummy

View brushmonkey's Photo Album My Photos

Ive done alot of both. The chemical stripper method works best for the money especially if its weathered. For the areas that are really hard to get or the stripper wont remove, grab the makita disc grinder & go to town.
brushmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brushmonkey For This Useful Post:
Jason@API (05-30-2010)
Old 05-30-2010, 01:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Except for chemically stripping.
nope. bad for the soil, takes longer, more labour involved. you know it never works the first go round.......sandblasting is much faster, imo. or even old fashioned sanding.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:10 AM   #10
VOC Test Dummy

View brushmonkey's Photo Album My Photos

The stuff we use is biodegradable & doesn't harm plants or animals. True it takes longer & a few applications, but it its cheaper than 1000.00 to 1400.00 a day for blasting unless of course you already own a blasting setup. The problem with grinding on soft cedar siding is swirl marks that become pronounced when stained. What ever you grind has to be sanded again with an orbital to get rid of them...talk about time consuming!
Id rather strip a couple times, sand out the fuzz once & start shooting stain. JMO
Quote:
nope. bad for the soil, takes longer, more labour involved. you know it never works the first go round.......sandblasting is much faster, imo. or even old fashioned sanding.
brushmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brushmonkey For This Useful Post:
Jason@API (05-30-2010)
Old 05-30-2010, 08:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Sounds like you dont know much about pressure washing. You should definitely stick with grinding, sanding or whatever mechanical method you are comfortable with. Chemicals are a little trickier to deal with.

Obviously you havent heard about the epa's ppm rule for dust containment above the inversion layer. You must be killin it.

blog
Old 05-30-2010, 02:11 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,000
Thanked 1,134 Times in 611 Posts
View y.painting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Sounds like you dont know much about pressure washing. You should definitely stick with grinding, sanding or whatever mechanical method you are comfortable with. Chemicals are a little trickier to deal with.

Obviously you havent heard about the epa's ppm rule for dust containment above the inversion layer. You must be killin it.
hehe

Nowadays, when people bring up the complete strip idea, I am quick to suggest that replacing their old siding is a better alternative in the long run.
The Following User Says Thank You to y.painting For This Useful Post:
Jason@API (05-30-2010)
Old 05-31-2010, 04:03 AM   #13

Quote:

re-reading the post, i saw it was cedar. yep, you gotta be careful with such a softwood. but there are ways. you're damn right i don't know much about pressure washing. only ****ty painters use that method instead of scraping and sanding. oh yeah, i'mm gonna inject water into the house, then i'm gonna seal it with primer and paint, then later on it'll pop the paint off!!!!!! then i'll blame it on the paint.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:56 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,826
Thanked 3,013 Times in 1,924 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
re-reading the post, i saw it was cedar. yep, you gotta be careful with such a softwood. but there are ways. you're damn right i don't know much about pressure washing. only ****ty painters use that method instead of scraping and sanding. oh yeah, i'mm gonna inject water into the house, then i'm gonna seal it with primer and paint, then later on it'll pop the paint off!!!!!! then i'll blame it on the paint.

You need to go to bed and get a life
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
vermontpainter (05-31-2010)
Old 05-31-2010, 10:13 AM   #15
RCP

Rewards Points: 46
Thanked 4,604 Times in 2,936 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I suggest you spend a little more time reading here and less time responding. This is a forum for professional painters to share ideas, your references to ****ty painters is getting a little old already.