Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

What kind of putty knife do you carry on you??

9K views 38 replies 23 participants last post by  paulingrad 
#1 ·
5 in 1's.. 7 in 1's or whatever the hell they make now..tried them years ago and never liked them..

What i have used for years is a 2' stiff putty knife(not chisel)i believe it's a red devil...but i put it in a vice grip at an angle and smash it off and then grind smooth..works best for me ..

What about you guys????

#4 ·
Keep all kinds in the truck. After ripping the seat in an old truck with a five in one, try not to carry a putty knife unless actually using it right then. Use a 5 in 1 the most, a one inch to fill holes.

#8 ·
That worked until I ripped a hole in my leg with the pointy end while squating down to do something. Would have wrote that off as a freak accident.....until I did it again.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

#11 ·
Interior: Nothing
Exterior: 5/1

I hate having anything in my pockets. I always have a 5/1, 1", 2", 6", and 10" close by. I keep them on me when I'm using them only. Other than that they're just close by incase I need them. ;)

I have many leg stabs, hand slices, and my Avalanche has many seat scars from my past carrying. :laughing:

#13 ·
When you work for me, it is mandotory and considered part of your uniform to have a 5 in 1 in one side pocket and a 6 in 1 screw driver in your other side pocket at all times. If I see either of these things on the floor, I'll make you pick them up and get them back into your pockets. I also strongly encourage everyone to have a dust brush in one front pocket, a rag hanging out of the pocket and a peice of sandpaper in the back pocket . . . Going to the van or searching for any of these things in a tool bag or wherever is a complete waste of time, so easy to just have them on you . . . I know different things work for different people but that's what works for us.

#15 ·
Sometimes it feels like I'm doing the Macerana every morning ...

In addition to the custom sanded 5-in-1, and flex 1 inch ...

in my lower-right side pocket ... is a pen.

Back right ... yellow sandpaper ... enough to share.

Back left ... nextel, and camera phone.

Left-side pocket ... window crank, magic marker, and a razor knife.

Left hoop ... rag.

Front right small pocket ... kryptonite lock keys ... for the sprayers.

And ... yes ... a belt.

(just read the post before submitting. sounds like I was calling shots as I cleared the balls from a pool table.)

#16 ·
I keep my 5:1 in the kiddie pool in the center of the room. That way I know where it is and it won't damage anything. LOL

I have a 5:1 and 2" putty closeby. I don't like them in my pockets and my truck seats thank me plus my butt already has a one big cut in it I don't need another. ;)

#21 ·
i see a lot of you agree that these bulky "ergonomic" handles suck,,,i hope these fat rubbery handles are just a fad

when i found a case of wooden handled 5 in 1's i bought the whole case

they had 1' flex also,,,,,,,,and i bought that case

now i need to find a nice compact glazing tool like the old ones,,,,,

#23 ·
i see a lot of you agree that these bulky "ergonomic" handles suck,,,i hope these fat rubbery handles are just a fad

when i found a case of wooden handled 5 in 1's i bought the whole case

they had 1' flex also,,,,,,,,and i bought that case

now i need to find a nice compact glazing tool like the old ones,,,,,
My 5in1 is 15 years old, and dull as V-boy ... but it has a wood handle (more like a blue tape handle now). I love those wood handles! It shattered years ago. I tape the heck out of it once a year ... to hold it back together. It would be like loosing a best friend if I parted with it.

Where do you get Hyde flex blades. No one seems to cary those anymore?

Booger

#22 ·
Packaging InformationLabel Info: Labeled Stiff X.H.D. (.080 inch)Single Pack Qty: 5Multipack Qty: 50UPC: 079423079757Length: 7.5Width: 2.5Height: .625Weight: 5

Can still get them from Hyde tools.

http://www.hydetools.com/

#30 ·
i like my warner 5n1, one of the best things ive bought from lowes. never thought of getting a 6n1 screwdriver though, most of the ones ive owned were crap, but i think klein makes on, i might try that, save a lil more room in my tool box. we also do maintenance on the units we paint so i like to buy a putty knife whenever i see one. They always destroy one of mine when applying the wax seal on the toilets, gross.id love to some 5n1's and putty/mud knives with the wooden handles though

#32 ·
tools in pockets

I was just thinking about starting to use a small tool belt, because I really don't have enough pockets for all the stuff I try to always keep in my pocket.

I had to pause for a second--I wondered whether people would find it strange to see a painter with a tool belt.

Maybe I'll go ahead and give it a try. I have also slashed my seat by sitting down with a five-in-one in the back pocket. I wrecked a new cell phone by putting a piece of 60-grit sandpaper in the same pocket; five minutes later the screen was completely scoured.

I have two tool belts and I'm not using one for anything, so maybe I'll put my paint tools in it and see if it scares the customers away.

It is really nice to have all the tools you need right there, and I'm tired of having my pockets full of junk.

#33 ·
Back left sandpaper, left loop rag, right 1" cut-down flex. I keep my tools handy in a toolbox in the setup area (paint/tools/trays on doubled drop).
If I need something I go get it and put it back where it belongs when done with it.

ProTip: NEVER lend your tools to anyone, if they don't have what they need they're NOT painters.

#34 ·
Good tip ross. i let the other guys use my toolbox on the job so they dont have to dig thru the hole we call a van, i tell them they dont have to ask as long as they clean the tool and put it back when they are done. i make a big scene though, if i find a screwdriver laying on the stairs or a putty knife on the bathroom sink, or a brush of mine sitting in paint with no one using it. tools aint free and workin for a family business and not being part of the family, i have to buy all my own stuff.

#35 ·
5 in 1's.. 7 in 1's or whatever the hell they make now..tried them years ago and never liked them..

What i have used for years is a 2' stiff putty knife(not chisel)i believe it's a red devil...but i put it in a vice grip at an angle and smash it off and then grind smooth..works best for me ..

What about you guys????[/quote

when i was an apprentice i was given a putty knife - a strange angular thing that i never rated. then i watched a pro glazier use a simple flat ended knife, which is now what i use. if you keep the blade wet it works best. remember not to cut through but to slide over.

paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.