Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Working over a metal roof

40K views 134 replies 21 participants last post by  samrpl 
#1 ·
So I just went and looked at a job. Its an addition and the roofs are standing seam metal roofs. What is the best way to set up on these? I have 3 dormers I would be painting. Can you use a roof hook on the peak? I would assume that if I could use a roof hook and a half ladder that I would need to maybe wrap them in a drop clothe to protect the metal roof? Maybe pipe insulation on the ladder?

Sorry if this is a n00b question ... but I have not had a job with this type of roofing.

#2 ·
So I just went and looked at a job. Its an addition and the roofs are standing seam metal roofs. What is the best way to set up on these? I have 3 dormers I would be painting. Can you use a roof hook on the peak? I would assume that if I could use a roof hook and a half ladder that I would need to maybe wrap them in a drop clothe to protect the metal roof? Maybe pipe insulation on the ladder?

Sorry if this is a n00b question ... but I have not had a job with this type of roofing.
Have a photo?

#5 ·
really Scott? Kerf? Great word. But for one I wouldn't want to trust my life to vice grips but I also think they would mar the metal. But yah a roof hook should work fine, maybe wrap a towel around it so it doesn't mar the roof either. you could put a couple stand offs on it (one at the top, one in the middle, and one at the bottom, that might solve your problem. putting the pipe insulation on the roof seams might work well but how will you get them on there without the ladder?
Magnetic shoes?

#6 ·
Tsunami

if you kerf a 2x6 every 24 inches to fit down over the seams, it locks right in. The vice grips, gently applied, are cheap insurance. We have done this many times. I would be much more comfortable with that, than slinging a ridge hook over one of those things. They scratch really easy and are expensive to replace. Trust me on this one.

#8 ·
Perhaps you are not understanding the wedge effect of multiple kerfs across a 2x6 tightly fit over the seams.

1. take a 10 ft 2x6
2. Put it on the miter guage of a bench or table saw
3. Set blade depth to half the thickness of the 2x6
4. Every 24 inches (typical seam placement) kerf about 3 blade widths
5. Apply over seams of roof
6. kerfs lock into seams
7. Bottom face of 2x6 is almost flush with roof panels

It literally locks in. You couldnt push it down that roof if you tried, but we do back up a 10 footer with typically 3 sets of mini vice grips. I would post a picture, but, nah.

#11 ·
Maybe I am making too much out of this. 2 of the dormers are pretty small ... just one window ... typical dormer. The other dormer is 26' long with just a 1-2' roof edge in front of the dormer. Its setting up for the sides of the dormers I am concerned about.

The 2x6 method may work ....... but not really knowing .... sounds like it may hurt.

#35 ·
John

You are really starting to get punctuation. The commas are getting under control. Work on capitalizing each sentence now. When you get that down, put periods at the end of each one. Then we can talk safety and immigration. Actually, don't waste too much energy on it here, just make sure those signs come out right.

#40 ·
I,,,would be much,,,,more concerned,,,,about IRS,,,,given the ,,,,imaginary apprentice,,,

But then this is the same guy who was preaching early this morning that our government doesnt care, and we should do whatever makes money. I believe that this fine professional is a proud former marine, and uses that fact in his marketing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.