Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

working on steep pitch roof

43K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Workaholic 
#1 ·
Hi, my name is Rick and I am a newbie to PT.I am a self employed painting contractor that does a wide variety of work,which is how I like it.Anyway,I am working on an exterior that has two dormers that I need to paint.The face of them is no problem as the lower roof is slight pitch but the sides are on a pitch that will not hold me.I'm looking for tips on how to work it safely.Thinking of roof jacks but it is a brand new roof and the shingles are sealed down pretty tight but if I pried them up for the roof jacks could I seal them back down with blackjack?Whoever has been there/done that fire away with any suggestions please.Thanks and I am looking forward to visiting and contributing to PT.

#3 ·
Can you lean a ladder with a stabilizer directly on the roof? That often works on dormers. Keeps you off the roof but places you at the sides of the dormer. Another option is a ladder hook from the ridge. If you have to use roof jacks then don't worry about the shingles. They should be pliable this time of year. DON'T take chances with your safety.

Best wishes

Mndrk

#8 · (Edited)
Dormers how high 35-45 feet? Use a 40 footer and lean it right on the roof as suggested above or use ladder hooks and hang a 16-20 foot extention ladder down the side of the dormer from the roof above.

We never nail anything to roofs we do over 30 three story victorians a year. I would have to say we have rented jlg boom lifts for dormers over 45 feet although they do sell 60 foot ladders. A boom lift in our area is $500 for 80 footer and $350 for 45 footer for one day includes, fuel, delivery, and pick up. The discount will be more by the week and or month.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.