CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 05-23-2011, 08:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
View yacob's Photo Album My Photos
Default zinsser smart prime

after rolling primer did a compound touch up so i sanded today and spot primed with the smart prime and let dry then i started rolling the walls and what horrible picture i tought i was using semi gloss finish for primer had to recoat 3 times to get a decent finish did this ever happened to you?

yacob is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 05-24-2011, 12:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150
View Marion's Photo Album My Photos

I have found that Smart Prime doesn't cover well. But, since it's new, I haven't came to a conclusion as to whether it does the job or not.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150
View Masterpiece's Photo Album My Photos

Interesting....I've used it on a number of interior ceiling water stains, some minor and some fairly severe. Perhaps the glossy finish is a by product of the stain blocking composition but I've never had any major issues with coverage or stain blocking. On a few severe and dark stains, a second coat was needed in a few small spots.
Aside from needing two coats to cover with a flat paint that was darker than the Zinsser, no real problems here.

It's my first choice right now when some individuals will be inside while I'm fixing the stain/ceiling damage and don't want the smell of a solvent based if at all possible.

But as far as waterbased stain blocking tech has come, it's still not a cure all.
Masterpiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:02 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75
View Contractor Jeff's Photo Album My Photos

Stain blockers dry with a harder film which changes the surface reflectivity and produces shiners when spot priming under flat paints. If you don't want to have to prime the entire area to prevent this, use this for spot priming under flat paints. It may take multiple coats to cover tougher stains.
Attached Images

Contractor Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:42 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000
Thanked 1,023 Times in 623 Posts
View BrushJockey's Photo Album My Photos

^ . Spot priming always works the best when the primer is very similar to the base paint around it.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:37 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 250
View hammerheart14's Photo Album My Photos

Can you get the GOOD version of Zinsser, which is called Coverstain? The oil based version? MUCH better than the water counter part!
hammerheart14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:14 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 254
View BreatheEasyHP's Photo Album My Photos

For being water-based, Smart Prime is extremely good for some stain blocking, but is only moderately good at covering for color change.

I've used it to effectively block severe bleeding from Western Red Cedar. I tested out some 6-8 other stain-blocking water-based primers and all of them showed severe bleeding within 15 minutes of application, even after multiple coats.

I also tested some out on some severe staining from cigarette smoke and it appeared to work, but I didn't try another other water-based (I stuck with shellac primer for the job).

I've used it for many other purposes here and there and no problems; however, I've never used it on interiors.
BreatheEasyHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:16 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 254
View BreatheEasyHP's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contractor Jeff View Post
Stain blockers dry with a harder film which changes the surface reflectivity and produces shiners when spot priming under flat paints.
That's interesting. Is that also why spot priming with oil can cause flashing?

What's the best way to cure flashing? Another coat, or is there an intermediate step?
BreatheEasyHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreatheEasyHP View Post
That's interesting. Is that also why spot priming with oil can cause flashing?

What's the best way to cure flashing? Another coat, or is there an intermediate step?
There's nothing that can be done about how light reflects off a surface. Spot priming with most all stain blocking paints irrevocably changes the light reflectivity properties of the spot primed areas. The flat topcoat will show a shiner, even if you use 5 flat top coats to cover the shiner. Something to consider if you're the wanna be pro's pro. lol, just kidding, no.

Zinnsers dead flat interior primer is the only one I know of that dries dead flat. It's not a heavy duty stain killer, I had to go over some water stains twice. There were no shiners afterwards when topcoated with dead flat paint.

Anyways, that primer is not the do all end all of all primer sealers and stain killers for all surfaces. If anyone knows of another interior primer-sealer-stainkiller that dries dead flat...

Last edited by Contractor Jeff; 05-25-2011 at 05:08 AM..
Old 05-25-2011, 09:33 AM   #10

View H2O Paint Chemist's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contractor Jeff View Post
There's nothing that can be done about how light reflects off a surface. Spot priming with most all stain blocking paints irrevocably changes the light reflectivity properties of the spot primed areas. The flat topcoat will show a shiner, even if you use 5 flat top coats to cover the shiner. Something to consider if you're the wanna be pro's pro. lol, just kidding, no.

Zinnsers dead flat interior primer is the only one I know of that dries dead flat. It's not a heavy duty stain killer, I had to go over some water stains twice. There were no shiners afterwards when topcoated with dead flat paint.

Anyways, that primer is not the do all end all of all primer sealers and stain killers for all surfaces. If anyone knows of another interior primer-sealer-stainkiller that dries dead flat...
That would be my new Primezall.
H2O Paint Chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:42 PM   #11

View Bighead's Photo Album My Photos

Zinsser odorless oil stain blocker dries fairly flat. We use it to spot prime water stains on smooth ceilings.
Bighead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:51 PM   #12

View acmasterpainter's Photo Album My Photos

I thought Zinsser like you to spot prime then primer coat the whole surface before top coats to avoid flashing?
acmasterpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by acmasterpainter View Post
I thought Zinsser like you to spot prime then primer coat the whole surface before top coats to avoid flashing?
No need to spot prime. If it's a smallish area, prime the whole area, see if the stain is gone. If it's a large area that will show up shiners after spot priming (at certain angles when the light hits it), decide if it's going to be noticable to you, because it will be to the customer.

That's why I mentioned Zinssers primer (see post here) that dries dead flat. It's not as good a stain blocker as Bulls-Eye 123 or BIN, but I'd rather hit those stain areas a few times with dead flat primer and see if I can kill the stain, because I'll know the flat finish coat won't show a shiner.

No stainkiller-primer on the market (that I've tried, maybe some do) dries to a dead flat finish as does Zinssers dead flat primer. It's worth using if the stain isn't too nasty, and you don't want shiners under flat paints.

BTW, Zinsser doesn't mention on the can in big bold letters that it's a stain killer, but the description on their site mentions it is. It's just not as effective a stain killer as their better ones.

Some painters and even customers, shiners don't matter. The stain was killed. But when working on expensive homes, I won't leave shiners, especially shiners on large ceilings. Walls don't show up shiners like ceilings do.

Last edited by Contractor Jeff; 05-26-2011 at 11:44 PM..
Old 05-27-2011, 02:17 AM   #14

View acmasterpainter's Photo Album My Photos

Not sure I see the logic there. If you spot prime and and completely over paint a ceiling with the same primer, surely it will dry uniform? Whether it is flat or shiny primer doesnt really matter as it provides an even base for top coats?

Experience aside, just reading tech sheets, the chemists say you need at least 2 coats of water-borne stain blocker for the chance of a lasting result you can stand by. At least that is pretty standard fare on even the best "one coat wonder" stain blockers we have access to in Europe. (Mythic primer, Classidur and Zinsser)

cheers
acmasterpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:21 AM   #15

Zinnsers Latex Primer dries completely flat. I've had decent stain blocking results with it. It's your call, so to speak.

Last edited by Contractor Jeff; 05-27-2011 at 03:36 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Contractor Jeff For This Useful Post:
acmasterpainter (05-28-2011)
Old 09-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #16
Wizard

Rewards Points: 10
View howe's Photo Album My Photos
Default Exterior Smart Prime?

Has anyone used the Smart Prime on complete exterior re-paint?

I have always used oil on old crusty re-paints and on new cedar and just did a test to see how it would do on both cedar and aged pressure treated and on both it seemed to miraculously block tannins with one coat! I applied two finish coats of acrylic white and no bleed!

I am considering using it on as full exterior which is a combo of previously painted and new cedar shake with lots of checking/blistering on trim, soffits and windows. Am I out of my mind?
howe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #17
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,127 Posts
View Damon T's Photo Album My Photos

Might want to look at the Zinsser peel stop triple thick for the checking alligatoring areas.

Damon T is offline   Reply With Quote