Blanket insulation Painting - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Commercial and Industrial Painting

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By kmp
  • 1 Post By Stretch67

Old 04-03-2017, 12:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 78
View kentdalimp's Photo Album My Photos
Default Blanket insulation Painting

Hello again everybody.

We have another interior project we are looking at I am wondering if anybody has any experience with.

Building is a Large Metal building that was used by a Printing/Graphics Firm for years. The Shell is Metal with what appears to be Batt and Blanket Insulation. I am not sure if the Batt and Blanket is typically installed in pieces or in large Sheets before the exterior Metals are installed.

Anyway the interior of the building has Ink dust/stains all over the "blanket."

Wondering if anybody has had luck Pressure washing / Priming /Painting that material?

Seems like it would be easier to replace the materials, But again, I'm not sure how the original was installed.

Anybody done anything similar? The Client was the Tenant who is turning the building back over. They are trying to clean up the facilities to avoid some of the normal charges. Trying to determine the best options to provide.

Thanks in Advance!
kentdalimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2017, 01:39 PM   #2
kmp

Rewards Points: 1,142
View kmp's Photo Album My Photos

I have painted a fair amount of plastic faced insulation in the past without much trouble. Pressure washing would not be a good idea,too much chance of damage and getting the insulation wet. Even a garden hose wash might be a problem. Plus if there is no floor drain you would have the issue of water removal. You might have to use a stain blocker on the spots.Most water base paints stick to the plastic face reasonably well but you should watch for runs when you spray it. I could not imagine rolling it.
kentdalimp likes this.
kmp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kmp For This Useful Post:
kentdalimp (04-03-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 02:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp View Post
I have painted a fair amount of plastic faced insulation in the past without much trouble. Pressure washing would not be a good idea,too much chance of damage and getting the insulation wet. Even a garden hose wash might be a problem. Plus if there is no floor drain you would have the issue of water removal. You might have to use a stain blocker on the spots.Most water base paints stick to the plastic face reasonably well but you should watch for runs when you spray it. I could not imagine rolling it.
I feel the same way about Pressure Washing. My concern is the adhesion of the new paint going over a dirty surface like that. I will try and get a picture up to illustrate better.

Might have to do some hand Cleaning to help with any concerns.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:13 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 622
View Stretch67's Photo Album My Photos

Do a test patch with Shellac, then overcoat. You might be surprised.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
kentdalimp likes this.
kentdalimp (04-04-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 11:26 PM   #5
A Brush Above

Rewards Points: 2,584
Thanked 3,570 Times in 1,859 Posts
View Paradigmzz's Photo Album My Photos

What is the elevation? Single faced batt?

First off- no water!

Second- well i need pics. Believe it or not- better off with direct application of dryfall or a cheap flat than going a bonding primer and topcoat route. Building the mills will create the situation where it will crack and shatter under contact.

Installed tons of single faced batt and painted even more. Funny part is that none of it is recommended to be painted. Ever. Even though it gets painted all the time. As a painter you dont want to retrofit single faced batt. Typically its installed anf then the roof is layed down. Having to reverse strap and seam tape can be a disaster if you dont know what your doing. Shoot some pics and i can give you a bit more advuce.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron61 View Post
I wouldn't worry about it.This internet thing aint gonna last
Paradigmzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paradigmzz For This Useful Post:
kentdalimp (04-10-2017), Wolfgang (04-06-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 04:09 PM   #6

Blanket insulation Painting-20170330_074759_1490882373340_resized.jpg

Blanket insulation Painting-20170330_074912_1490882421374_resized.jpg

Couple of Photos of what is being considered. We have even contacted an insulation contractor to see what they're thoughts are on maybe facing over what's existing.

All Ideas are appreciated at this point. You can see the level of Grime built up on some portions of the walls.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:26 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 284
View Eagle Cap Painter's Photo Album My Photos

I wonder if you can clean that safely with a dry ice or similar water-free system.
Eagle Cap Painter is online now   Reply With Quote