Payroll and tax program - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Technology (websites, computers, etc..)

Like Tree1Likes

Old 06-18-2015, 02:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 26
View Pete the Painter's Photo Album My Photos
Default Payroll and tax program

Seriously thinking about talking the plunge and hiring someone. Going to the insurance agency tomorrow and looking into liabilty insurance. And, looking at jobs in the second half of the summer and beyond as a two person company.

Want to get some software that can help me with payroll and help me organize my records. Would prefer a non-subscription program, but I am open to anything that will not break the bank. Prefer something under $300.
www.paintercapeann.com
Pete the Painter is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2015, 03:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 822
Thanked 3,922 Times in 2,035 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

I've always been a one man show as well Pete, but if you only have one employee do you really need a software application to do payroll? I honestly have no idea.

A while back I bought Quicken 2015 to deal with the financial stuff, but here it is June and I haven't gotten around to using it as I can't find an online tutorial that shows me how to use the damn thing. Best $100 I've ever spent. You really have to make sure you're going to dedicate the time it takes to make the software work for you.

I could spend less time on PT which would probably help.

(every time I see that particular smiley, I think of Steve Richards.)
Pete the Painter (06-18-2015)
Old 06-18-2015, 03:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbill7145 View Post
I've always been a one man show as well Pete, but if you only have one employee do you really need a software application to do payroll? I honestly have no idea.

A while back I bought Quicken 2015 to deal with the financial stuff, but here it is June and I haven't gotten around to using it as I can't find an online tutorial that shows me how to use the damn thing. Best $100 I've ever spent. You really have to make sure you're going to dedicate the time it takes to make the software work for you.

I could spend less time on PT which would probably help.

(every time I see that particular smiley, I think of Steve Richards.)
Biggest reason that I want the program is to help me figure out the deduction--something that I really do not want to screw up.
www.paintercapeann.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete the Painter For This Useful Post:
Wildbill7145 (06-18-2015)

Old 06-18-2015, 03:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 686
Thanked 9,118 Times in 5,052 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

I was going to post this,

"It really sucks that I have to haul my lazy butt to work every single day, rain or shine, so that a portion of my of my hard earned income can go to supporting someone elses fishing vacation."

But after doing a quick search to validate that claim, I discovered that the Canadian UI system is funded by employee contributions, where as US UI is funded by the employer contributions.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete the Painter View Post
Biggest reason that I want the program is to help me figure out the deduction--something that I really do not want to screw up.
Hmm, I just checked and Quicken isn't recommended for payroll stuff, but it does have a big brother called Quickbooks that apparently gets some good reviews. Both are made by Intuit which has been producing some very well reviewed small business accounting applications for decades.

http://quickbooks.intuit.com/

EDIT: Just realized it's subscription based. Wow, what rock have I been living under? I had no idea most software was going in this direction.
Pete the Painter (06-18-2015)
Old 06-18-2015, 05:22 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 70
View MikeCalifornia's Photo Album My Photos

I just started with a part-time employee, I use a company called Paysource. It cost me less than $30 per payroll, they collect and pay the taxes (my share and employee) monthly, they do the year end reporting and w2. There should be plenty of companies in your area that do the same thing. It's worth $30 a week to just have someone call me and get the hours, than having to input and cut checks, mail out taxes, and remember to do the reports. They also do WC, integrates with hours based on payroll amount.
MikeCalifornia is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeCalifornia For This Useful Post:
I paint paint (06-18-2015), Pete the Painter (06-18-2015)
Old 06-18-2015, 08:14 PM   #7
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,334 Times in 10,140 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Quickbooks is now also subscription??

WOW, well, I always had as much fondness for Intuit as I do for Adobe, so I shouldn't be much surprised.

note to self: check the portfolio and see if i own intuit and adobe, if not, buy

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daArch For This Useful Post:
Gough (06-22-2015)
Old 06-18-2015, 09:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbill7145 View Post
Hmm, I just checked and Quicken isn't recommended for payroll stuff, but it does have a big brother called Quickbooks that apparently gets some good reviews. Both are made by Intuit which has been producing some very well reviewed small business accounting applications for decades.

http://quickbooks.intuit.com/

EDIT: Just realized it's subscription based. Wow, what rock have I been living under? I had no idea most software was going in this direction.
Just checked it out. Around $32 a month. If I am soending that much I would like to own the program. But, I guess this what I will have to do to make my life simplier. Just keeping up with looking at jobs and writing estimates is wearing me out. I have months of paper work that I have yet to tackle.
www.paintercapeann.com
Old 06-22-2015, 12:12 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,331
Thanked 1,166 Times in 634 Posts
View Hines Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Pete, I'm not home but I'll try to remember to post on this with some links tomorrow night when I get home.
Hines Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:54 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 630
Thanked 4,477 Times in 2,814 Posts
View cdpainting's Photo Album My Photos

We have our accountant handle payroll. We have enough to worry about. I have no clue how much it costs.

We don't issues checks. Direct deposit. We have a second bank account for payroll and taxes. Every quarter they pay our quarterly taxes.
cdpainting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:44 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 782
Thanked 10,442 Times in 5,709 Posts
View Gough's Photo Album My Photos

Since I started the company, I've used 9-column ledgers to keep the books. I did have an accountant help me get it set up, but have done them myself since then. Especially for smaller outfits, I think that has several advantages. It gives you a clear picture of your costs. and it's not nearly as time consuming as people would have you think. Also, no upgrades and no subscription fees. In fact, there are now websites that let you print your own ledger sheets.

Over the years, I've tried several software options, from Lotus 1,2,3 (!) to QuickBooks, but kept coming back to the ledgers.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:13 AM   #12
PinheadsUnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gough View Post
Since I started the company, I've used 9-column ledgers to keep the books. I did have an accountant help me get it set up, but have done them myself since then. Especially for smaller outfits, I think that has several advantages. It gives you a clear picture of your costs. and it's not nearly as time consuming as people would have you think. Also, no upgrades and no subscription fees. In fact, there are now websites that let you print your own ledger sheets.

Over the years, I've tried several software options, from Lotus 1,2,3 (!) to QuickBooks, but kept coming back to the ledgers.
Pete, I concur with Gough

Being a solo, my own ledger (s) with MS Excel worked very well for me. If one has a larger company with all the payroll checks, billables and payables, tax payments, loans, etc etc etc, I can understand how Quickbooks can be a very helpful organizational tool, but for the small guy, it's like driving a Formula-1 in Boston's North End.

These type of programs are geared to tackle the complexities of a larger outfit, and for the small shops they are too complicated and cumbersome. Even Quicken for Home & Business may suit you well - although that is NOT an endorsement, just a suggestion to be investigated.

BTW, I just did a quick search for "Alternatives to Quickbooks", this site had some interesting opinions and alternatives.
http://blog.capterra.com/top-ten-qui...ss-accounting/

"Are we having fun yet"

Last edited by daArch; 06-22-2015 at 09:15 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to daArch For This Useful Post:
Pete the Painter (06-24-2015)
Old 06-24-2015, 09:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by daArch View Post
Pete, I concur with Gough

Being a solo, my own ledger (s) with MS Excel worked very well for me. If one has a larger company with all the payroll checks, billables and payables, tax payments, loans, etc etc etc, I can understand how Quickbooks can be a very helpful organizational tool, but for the small guy, it's like driving a Formula-1 in Boston's North End.

These type of programs are geared to tackle the complexities of a larger outfit, and for the small shops they are too complicated and cumbersome. Even Quicken for Home & Business may suit you well - although that is NOT an endorsement, just a suggestion to be investigated.

BTW, I just did a quick search for "Alternatives to Quickbooks", this site had some interesting opinions and alternatives.
http://blog.capterra.com/top-ten-qui...ss-accounting/
I have been using it for a few days, and do agree that it is a bit much for a small business, but my biggest concern is getting the payroll, when I hire, right. I really do not want to screw it up and have to pay fines and other consequences.
www.paintercapeann.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete the Painter For This Useful Post:
daArch (06-24-2015)
Old 06-24-2015, 09:18 PM   #14
PinheadsUnite

If you plan on growing into the need for it, then (on hearsay) I would recommend it (or similar). Might as well get the "system" organized while you're still small.

"Are we having fun yet"
Old 06-25-2015, 07:32 PM   #15
Spider killer

Rewards Points: 738
View jason123's Photo Album My Photos

Correct me if im wrong Goerge would know for sure! but in Canada the "real employer" has to pay for half of the cpp canadian pension plan, and vacaiton too. I believe the employee pays into his ei, then if the employee claims ei some of that pay will come from the said employer .

I never have done that I just have casual employee's. I do pay wsib on them though.
Usually I"ll have a business partnership so that the major earners are on the books . So im not claiming a casual employee with a huge sum of earnings.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:33 PM   #16
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,876
Thanked 2,421 Times in 1,138 Posts
View George Z's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason123 View Post
Correct me if im wrong Goerge would know for sure! but in Canada the "real employer" has to pay for half of the cpp canadian pension plan, and vacaiton too. I believe the employee pays into his ei, then if the employee claims ei some of that pay will come from the said employer .

I never have done that I just have casual employee's. I do pay wsib on them though.
Usually I"ll have a business partnership so that the major earners are on the books . So im not claiming a casual employee with a huge sum of earnings.
- Company matches Pension contribution 100%
- Employment Insurance we pay the employee's contribution times 1.4%. What employer pays doesn't get affected by someone collecting.
- For vacation pay employer pays 4% of employee earnings. This is about two weeks pay a year.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 03:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by daArch View Post
Even Quicken for Home & Business may suit you well - although that is NOT an endorsement, just a suggestion to be investigated.
Anyone use this? I bought this thing to try and get more organized with this stuff and haven't even started using it.

Gotta find a nice, simple online tutorial of some sort to get started. Key to note is simple. As much as I've learned from this site that the business side of things is just as important as the painting side... I still like the painting part more. Most of the time.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:20 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 542
View goga's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete the Painter View Post
Seriously thinking about talking the plunge and hiring someone. Going to the insurance agency tomorrow and looking into liabilty insurance. And, looking at jobs in the second half of the summer and beyond as a two person company.

Want to get some software that can help me with payroll and help me organize my records. Would prefer a non-subscription program, but I am open to anything that will not break the bank. Prefer something under $300.
As for myself, I'm using MS Access to build a little program for the things I'm doing all the time. Keeps all the records and little notes as a tank, searchable, sortable and always easy to use, well, self made to be easy to use.

No need to pay and no need to ask for support. Takes a bit of mind tweaking, but at the end the best I need for specific line of tracking. If you can ask someone who knows the thing to help yourself out and make a little system, it is a lot better and smarter than any spreadsheet program, even tho spreadsheet is easier to make, yet again, a lot more time consuming to sort and query.
goga is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to goga For This Useful Post:
Pete the Painter (08-16-2015)
Old 12-11-2015, 02:32 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 16
View MichaelHenry's Photo Album My Photos

Gusto.com (formerly zenpayroll) is hands down the best way to go for payroll.

They file all of the paperwork, pay the taxes, and manage direct deposits to your employees. Highly recommend.
MichaelHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 03:08 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 630
Thanked 4,477 Times in 2,814 Posts
View cdpainting's Photo Album My Photos

Pete, you can't forget about workers comp. If you have employees you must have comp in this state.
cdpainting is online now   Reply With Quote