What Do You Use Microsoft Excel For in Your Business? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > Technology (websites, computers, etc..)

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bookkeeper4Painters

Old 03-21-2016, 02:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
View chaoscow's Photo Album My Photos
Lightbulb What Do You Use Microsoft Excel For in Your Business?

Just curious how many others out there are using software in an ingenious method it wasn't meant for.
chaoscow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2016, 05:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 224
Thanked 9,011 Times in 4,980 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoscow View Post
Just curious how many others out there are using software in an ingenious method it wasn't meant for.
I'm currently using it to record our paint and equipment inventory.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:12 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 20
View thomesallen's Photo Album My Photos

Simply to keep a record of what I have done, how many contracts completed which place, what was the date and all. Excel is easy to use and makes so much easier to create a database.
thomesallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 30
View LakewoodPaintingPro's Photo Album My Photos

I have never been a fan of excel. Believe me I've tried but I hate it. I mostly use word documents and spreadsheets in Google Docs. It's free and easy to use.
LakewoodPaintingPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:45 PM   #5
www.onlinebookkeep.com

Rewards Points: 38
View Bookkeeper4Painters's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to Bookkeeper4Painters

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodPaintingPro View Post
I have never been a fan of excel. Believe me I've tried but I hate it. I mostly use word documents and spreadsheets in Google Docs. It's free and easy to use.
Definitely agree. Using cloud-based software like Google Drive can allow you to run your business more efficiently and makes collaborating easier.

Plus, it can set you on the path to running a paperless painting business.

Just in case you are interested, here are the steps to making your painting business paperless:

1. Get a cloud-based bookkeeping software. Quickbooks Online Plus has job-costing functionality that allows you to access your information anytime, anywhere. You can also complete estimates, invoices, and payroll all from your mobile device with the Quickbooks Online app.

2. Use cloud-based file storage. In order to get the full benefit of going paperless, getting a cloud-based file storage system is a must. Storing your files in the cloud allows you to access those files on any device, from anywhere. There are several options for cloud storage to include Google Drive, Dropbox, and Box.com. Google Drive has the added benefit of web-based document creation. With tools like Google Calendar, Google Sheets (similar to Microsoft Excel), and Google Docs (similar to Microsoft Word) you can do office work from the job site.

3. Use mobile mileage tracking. Ditch the paper mileage log. TripLog is an app you can download on your phone that integrates with Quickbooks Online. The app tracks your mileage for your painting business to allow you to write off the expense using the standard mileage rate on your taxes.

4. Use mobile employee time tracking. No more paper time sheets. TSheets is an app that integrates with Quickbooks Online Plus. TSheets allows employee to clock-in once they get to the jobsite using their phone. TSheets also allows managers to track the location and time in real-time to ensure employees are where they should be.

5. Get electronic signatures from customers. Once you do an estimate and contract, you’ll need a signature. Look into getting electronic signatures from your clients. SignNow.com gives you the ability to have your clients sign on your tablet or smartphone for $5 a month. Not only is this convenient, it also makes you look more professional.

6. Manage your receipts with the cloud. Hubdoc is once again, you guessed it, an app that integrates with Quickbooks Online and to your cloud-based file system. When you get a paper receipt, simply snap a picture with your phone, and Hubdoc organizes and classifies the receipt with your bookkeeping software. You can also have all your vendors send you electronic bills to a special Hubdoc email, and Hubdoc categories, syncs with your bookkeeping software and pushes a copy to a cloud storage folder you designate.

7. Get a scanner. In order to digitize all your current paper documents, get a scanner. A fast and efficient scanner that I use is the Fujitsu ScanSnap iX500.

Once you’ve completed these steps, you will save yourself a great deal of time through gained efficiencies, easier collaboration, and less clutter.
Bookkeeper4Painters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:35 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,666
Thanked 1,347 Times in 668 Posts
View thinkpainting/nick's Photo Album My Photos

It's great for estimating there's a few such as Len Fife and Josh"s One Step that are excel based and couple oh here's I missed. They all use excel.. As for cloud based and Google sheets ?? Hasn't Google taken enough already lol. Quick books online is for my bookkeeper I concentrate on selling , running and working let her do the books. I wear enough hats .
thinkpainting/nick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkpainting/nick For This Useful Post:
LynnJ (11-16-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 12:24 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 16
View MurphysPaint's Photo Album My Photos

I use excel for pricing out jobs, I input the measurements and select a few criteria and voila. I also use it to track my payroll and issue pay stubs. I use invoicing and CRM software to track all of my opportunities and projects, which had been a great tool for keeping up with everything on my plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MurphysPaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:23 PM   #8
Spider killer

Rewards Points: 738
View jason123's Photo Album My Photos

I use google docs. mostly spreadsheets.
I have a couple different files. 1 estimation sheets. This is where I compile my numbers for a quote.
2 job log. I input the expenditures and labor hours.

I also have a misc expense sheet purchases that don't particularly coincide with certain jobs.

I try to keep a notes sheet as well , this is generally reflections on jobs where I learned something or need to remember something.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:58 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 46
View jpacelt's Photo Album My Photos

Estimates

http://www.florencepaintpros.com/
jpacelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:52 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 56
View bocaratonpainters's Photo Album My Photos

Excel is quick way to monitor all profit, costs and revenue.
I also use it to manage client's numbers and names
bocaratonpainters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:21 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 46
View jpacelt's Photo Album My Photos

I use it for doing estimates.

Jeff
jpacelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:46 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 6
View jaipurputaiwala's Photo Album My Photos

Excel or google docs i am using for estimate or data for use for future use. i am using my own created system to track all customer query and all members data and calculation part also. own created system is the best thing to manage you can search any entry and by security it's your own server.

Thanks
jaipur putai wala
jaipurputaiwala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 03:33 AM   #13
Lynn Jackson

Rewards Points: 64
View LynnJ's Photo Album My Photos
Default Excel uses

I use Excel as a tool for my estimating program. I have programmed formulas into the first sheet that refer to a Relational Database on the second sheet. They draw labor rates, material and equipment costs, as well as production and spread rates and plug them into the first sheet. I also have formulas in place that calculate the overhead and profit mark ups, and then generate the totals for each category, as well as the bid Total. Once my takeoff is done, I plug in the totals for each task/substrate and a short code for each one, and the program does the rest. Quick and easy.

Lynnjprecise@gmail.com
LynnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LynnJ For This Useful Post:
thinkpainting/nick (11-19-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 01:27 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 254
View Danahy's Photo Album My Photos

I started using apple numbers cause it came with the iPad. (Excel still my fav) I found this template, called task check list, or something like that..? Then modified it to use as both a painting and cabinet refinishing estimate worksheet. For cabinet refinishing the only number I punch in is the number of fronts/openings, then the rest is check boxes for each individual task I might perform for that specific job. Each task has its own rate that gets multiplied by the number of fronts/openings and added to the total for the estimate.

For painting, I pre-made a list of every type of room you would find in a home (residential version). I enter in the room sizes, then check off all the services requested. Likewise, each box adds a new value that multiplys against the room size to configure a nice consistent total at the end. Easily calculates both labor, materials and OH

all this could be done in excel as well
Danahy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accounting, calendar, excel, software