Left over paint - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Green Painting Practices

Like Tree24Likes

Old 09-14-2016, 01:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
View cenfl's Photo Album My Photos
Default Left over paint

We have fair amount of quality paint from various manufacturers leftover (bm aura, natura, sw products, ppg products etc and wondering if would be safe to mix and use for priming stucco which we have often here in Florida. Mostly use ppg permanizer for stucco prime/paint so could make sure high percentage ~30-40% is that product. Any advice is appreciated, and would use on friends and family homes most likely so no worry of repercussions necessarily. Perhaps there is a bonding agent etc that we could add to help. I'm thinking there perhaps is a way otherwise what happens to the paint that is dropped off at the hazardous waste disposal and I assume goes into a recycling stream.
cenfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2016, 03:16 AM   #2
very senior member

Rewards Points: 1,038
Thanked 5,369 Times in 3,270 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

Give it to habitat for humanity, they appreciate it.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (09-14-2016), ridesarize (04-18-2017)
Old 09-14-2016, 10:07 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 132
View MikeCalifornia's Photo Album My Photos

First sign of a hack is the guy who brings mixed up paint for "priming" when he has already sold the HO on an actual primer. I'm not calling you a hack, but what you are asking is. Recycle the old paint.
chrisn and cdpainting like this.
MikeCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2016, 11:01 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,556
Thanked 9,221 Times in 5,127 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

No one can say yes with any authority. This is one of those home brews that countless painters will dream up and say how awesome it worked. First off, no manufactuerer will warranty their product if it has been incorporated with another product without authorization of compatibility. So right there, application of your concoction is questionable at best.

People will tell you that the products share ingredients and how it's all the same etc., etc. But at the end of the day, you're just sweeping up crumbs from the floor and selling them as a fresh bag of goods.
jprefect likes this.
RH (09-14-2016), SemiproJohn (09-14-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 12:00 PM   #5
RH

Rewards Points: 11,482
Thanked 14,678 Times in 7,522 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Just curious, why so much leftover paint? We always leave leftover product (except primers) with the customer at the end of the job which eliminates most of that problem. Of course, over time, even then there can eventually be some accumulation.

John Goodman - "Arachnophobia"

Last edited by RH; 09-14-2016 at 12:34 PM..
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:59 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 942
Thanked 4,503 Times in 2,839 Posts
View cdpainting's Photo Album My Photos

Are you charging the home owners for this paint? If so it's theirs, leave it with them. Like RH we never take paint off a job, just primers.

I have enough crap to load and unload daily, find room to store it all so I can still see the floor and ceiling.

The way I understand it is some MFG's can be mixed but very highly recommended NOT to mix brands, heck even some line they say don't mix.

Any one that brings a home made mix to a job to use as primer is either a hack, budgeted money wrong, underbid.

What would you say if your painter brought a home mix to put on your home? I would tell the to take a hike.
cdpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:38 PM   #7

Habitat said they will now only take new and unopened paint.

Asking for relevant experiences gentlemen, not a bunch of bull. Maybe it's my paint, maybe I want to paint the ****e house with it, what do you care.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:50 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,088
Thanked 4,263 Times in 2,809 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

It's somewhat common for paint manufacturers to do this actually. Most architectural paints will intermix pretty well. We used to make 500 gallon batches out of mis-tints into navajo white for the rental properties in San Diego. The only reason we couldn't use competitive paint brands was an EPA licensing restriction. (licensed as an EPA registered non-regulated waste processor and not a waste receiver.) But I do have serious reservations about using it on a residential repaint, although it should be ok for friends and family. There is the potential for failure but not as bad as using a couple particular brands of paint by themselves. I would be worried about having problems on an exterior.

"Screw you guys! I'm going home!" Cartmann
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:37 PM   #9
King Dude

Rewards Points: 176
Thanked 4,789 Times in 2,689 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

Habitat used to take it. Last Saturday I loaded up around 75 gallons to take there only to find out they no longer want it.
Rbriggs82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:44 PM   #10

My thinking is that with the porosity of the cmu how could it not stick. Going to box it up in a 55 gal drum and hit it with the paddle. Spray this chicken coup we just finished and watch it.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:47 PM   #11

Frustrating.... What did you end up doing with it, restriping the highway?
Old 09-14-2016, 03:06 PM   #12
King Dude

Rewards Points: 176
Thanked 4,789 Times in 2,689 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenfl View Post
Frustrating.... What did you end up doing with it, restriping the highway?
Brought it all back to my garage.
Rbriggs82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 03:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Habitat said they will now only take new and unopened paint.

Asking for relevant experiences gentlemen, not a bunch of bull. Maybe it's my paint, maybe I want to paint the ****e house with it, what do you care.
You asked if mixing multiple paints to make a primer was OK. I think you got reasonable replies. And again, no one here is qualified to give you the go ahead with any authority. In other words, someone could have responded with "Go ahead and good luck!". But that would have been a little terse.

As much as you may not care what we think, your question about mixing paints for alternative applications does concern any of us who have an interest in the chemistry of paint, recycling, best practices, etc. It's all a learning experience for us. Some of our points may be exaggerated, but are valid none the less.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:07 PM   #14

I know the hazardous waste collection here in our county takes paint, though I hate to throw good materials out.
Hoping a chemist will see this and give a suggestion. Perhaps mixing and then pushing through sprayer at high psi will help bind whatever is there.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:19 PM   #15

Quote:
I know the hazardous waste collection here in our county takes paint, though I hate to throw good materials out.
Hoping a chemist will see this and give a suggestion. Perhaps mixing and then pushing through sprayer at high psi will help bind whatever is there.
My guess would be that you could use it as a primer with little ill effect. But I would never suggest it, or claim that it would work without fail.

Then you have the potential for substrate issues beyond the unknowns of the primer mixture. For example, chalkyness, high ph, too much moisture , to much moisture barrier, etc. It's a gamble with pretty good odds. But then there's always that one deal.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:41 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 2
View paintmywalls's Photo Album My Photos

Millions of gallons of paint go to waste every year, often because it wasn’t put away properly. Here’s how to make sure the leftover for making a Beautiful Home. Sometimes it’s helpful to keep a small amount of paint on-hand for smaller projects or touch-ups. If you keep your leftover paint properly sealed and stored in an appropriate location, it can last for years. The following paint tips will help you extend the life of your leftover paint.

Conserve Left Over Paints With These Simple Tricks.

Stretch a piece of plastic wrap over the open paint can before closing the lid. This will create an additional seal to keep the paint fresh.

Keep the leftover paint in a cool dry area to keep it from spoiling and becoming unusable.

Label the lid of the paint can with the color, brand, room it was used for, and the date it was opened.

Keep any and all contaminants out of the paint cans. Dirt, dust, oil, or just about any foreign particle or substance will contaminate your paint and make it unusable.

Keep it away from direct sunlight or near any inflammable object.

Turn the can upside down to allow the paint to create its own seal.

Use Leftover Paints To Beautify Your Home

Paint up your wall with those extra paint and polish your creativity. It will certainly pump up the look of your home and is also an effective way of using the leftover paints.

You can colourize your flower pots. Paint them with solid colors and give different patterns to make it look more attractive.

Use a stencil to create beautiful painting on your walls. Using a homemade or commercial stencil, apply paint to just about anything – your walls, a piece of furniture, or if you’re really adventurous, the floor. An interesting stencil can render the ordinary, extraordinary.

Frame your artwork. Repaint the frames on the prints, paintings, and drawings in your home to give them a fresh appearance. Or, paint a simulated “frame” right on the wall to highlight a favorite piece of sculpture or even a more ordinary item you treasure.

https://paintmywalls.in/painting-sol...ful-home.html/
paintmywalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:27 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 762
View ridesarize's Photo Album My Photos

I just vomited in my mouth....
chrisn and lilpaintchic like this.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:08 AM   #18

Rewards Points: 284
View Eagle Cap Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Blog looks like a scam job.
Eagle Cap Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:20 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmywalls View Post
Millions of gallons of paint go to waste every year, often because it wasn’t put away properly. Here’s how to make sure the leftover for making a Beautiful Home. Sometimes it’s helpful to keep a small amount of paint on-hand for smaller projects or touch-ups. If you keep your leftover paint properly sealed and stored in an appropriate location, it can last for years. The following paint tips will help you extend the life of your leftover paint.

Conserve Left Over Paints With These Simple Tricks.

Stretch a piece of plastic wrap over the open paint can before closing the lid. This will create an additional seal to keep the paint fresh.

Keep the leftover paint in a cool dry area to keep it from spoiling and becoming unusable.

Label the lid of the paint can with the color, brand, room it was used for, and the date it was opened.

Keep any and all contaminants out of the paint cans. Dirt, dust, oil, or just about any foreign particle or substance will contaminate your paint and make it unusable.

Keep it away from direct sunlight or near any inflammable object.

Turn the can upside down to allow the paint to create its own seal.

Use Leftover Paints To Beautify Your Home

Paint up your wall with those extra paint and polish your creativity. It will certainly pump up the look of your home and is also an effective way of using the leftover paints.

You can colourize your flower pots. Paint them with solid colors and give different patterns to make it look more attractive.

Use a stencil to create beautiful painting on your walls. Using a homemade or commercial stencil, apply paint to just about anything – your walls, a piece of furniture, or if you’re really adventurous, the floor. An interesting stencil can render the ordinary, extraordinary.

Frame your artwork. Repaint the frames on the prints, paintings, and drawings in your home to give them a fresh appearance. Or, paint a simulated “frame” right on the wall to highlight a favorite piece of sculpture or even a more ordinary item you treasure.

https://paintmywalls.in/painting-sol...ful-home.html/
These are great tips for the Arts and Crafters. But for painting contractors, the collection of paint becomes too much to store in anticipation for using it to stencil planter boxes.

Best thing for a painting contractor to do is:

1. Estimate correct amounts of paints
2. Use stock colors whenever possible
3. leave paint with customers whenever possible
4. Have a waste management company pick up waste, or drop it off at a recycle center.

And don't spread a bunch of paint out on a plastic sheet to dry in the summer time. I did that once and nearly gave myself multiple hernias trying to lift it onto the truck!
lilpaintchic likes this.

Last edited by CApainter; 04-18-2017 at 11:24 AM..
CApainter is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CApainter For This Useful Post:
SunHouseProperties (05-01-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 12:08 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 2,088
Thanked 4,263 Times in 2,809 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

drink it with a little cheap tequila.

"Screw you guys! I'm going home!" Cartmann
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote