First lead job this year. - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Lead Paint Discussion

Old 09-09-2015, 07:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 348
Thanked 4,448 Times in 2,791 Posts
View cdpainting's Photo Album My Photos
Default First lead job this year.

Taking on our first de-leading this year. I was hoping to avoid these this year. Oh well. Should be a blast in this heat.

We are only stripping 2 sides this year, next year finish the rest.

We have been mostly interiors this summer. My plan was to switch to interiors only next season. Those plans were bumped up a year, not by choice, we just got tons of calls for interior. I'm liking this.
cdpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2015, 07:20 AM   #2
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,334 Times in 10,140 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdpainting View Post
Taking on our first de-leading this year. I was hoping to avoid these this year. Oh well. Should be a blast in this heat.

We are only stripping 2 sides this year, next year finish the rest.

We have been mostly interiors this summer. My plan was to switch to interiors only next season. Those plans were bumped up a year, not by choice, we just got tons of calls for interior. I'm liking this.
Dave,

Hadn't you invested rather well in exterior and de-leading equip? I hope it all paid for itself ten times over.

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:33 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 750
Thanked 10,428 Times in 5,700 Posts
View Gough's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by daArch View Post
Dave,

Hadn't you invested rather well in exterior and de-leading equip? I hope it all paid for itself ten times over.
It's not as if we don't encounter LBP on interiors. Besides, all those Festools work just fine inside as well.
cdpainting (09-09-2015)

Old 09-09-2015, 09:38 AM   #4
Troy

Rewards Points: 100
Thanked 2,398 Times in 1,029 Posts
View stelzerpaintinginc.'s Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Dave,

With the exception of maybe the paint shaver, all those tools are interchangeable for int/ext.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:39 AM   #5
Troy

Gough beat me. Quick-Draw McGough wut they call eem.
Gough (09-09-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 09:46 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 750
Thanked 10,428 Times in 5,700 Posts
View Gough's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelzerpaintinginc. View Post
With the exception of maybe the paint shaver, all those tools are interchangeable for int/ext.
Wouldn't that be a kick to pull out to use on some interior trim? You know, the stuff with so many layers of rolled-on SG latex that it looks like frozen snot?
cdpainting (09-09-2015), PRC (09-09-2015), stelzerpaintinginc. (09-09-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 09:57 AM   #7
Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gough View Post
Wouldn't that be a kick to pull out to use on some interior trim? You know, the stuff with so many layers of rolled-on SG latex that it looks like frozen snot?

Only a matter of time before they make a few mods to PSP to make it suitable for interior...without losing a finger.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:39 PM   #8
PinheadsUnite

Yes the Fesstools are useful everywhere, but what about the planks, ladders, jacks, and wasn't he thinking about a lift ?

"Are we having fun yet"
The Following User Says Thank You to daArch For This Useful Post:
I paint paint (09-09-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 05:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Yes the Fesstools are useful everywhere, but what about the planks, ladders, jacks, and wasn't he thinking about a lift ?
Bill we have used the Festool inside already they work great. Yes the Festool has paid its self over a few times already. Remember last year we did de lead 3 houses, there alone they paid themselves off.

Paint shaver would be awesome to use on those old paint filled trim boards (I haven't done this yet but would be fun).

Planks we used our 24' 1 time. I paid cheap money for it that's why I got it. For that day you may need it. Ladders, we have used the 28 in a couple of homes so those will still be used, 32 and 40 can sit for all I care. 32 was free and the 40 I traded a 25 year oldish 32 for it. No lost money.

Lift, hell yeah I want one still. I'm trying to get us some commercial work in the industrial park so a lift would be a great addition.

One more note to add. I'm just getting tired of these types of jobs. These are for the young kids. Yeah good money can be made or lost. Last year was fun, this year it doesn't feel the same, no desire for getting my arse kicked for working so hard.

Today was a good reminder, I'm sore and wiped out. Shaver and sander all day, I had one guy with me but he isn't fast yet.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdpainting For This Useful Post:
daArch (09-09-2015), Gough (09-09-2015), I paint paint (09-09-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 10:30 PM   #10
PinheadsUnite

Dave,

I think the PT community realizes you & Carly know what the phuck you're doing when it comes to exteriors. Obviously it's a lot of grueling work. The industry will suffer when you move inside. The only solution would be to train a bunch of kids and OVERSEE the work, but we all know how difficult that is.

I would wish you could continue giving these old homes the TLC they deserve, but believe me, I understand how taxing it is.

I have full confidence you guys will shine for many years concentrating on interiors.

"Are we having fun yet"
The Following User Says Thank You to daArch For This Useful Post:
cdpainting (09-09-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 11:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Dave,

I think the PT community realizes you & Carly know what the phuck you're doing when it comes to exteriors. Obviously it's a lot of grueling work. The industry will suffer when you move inside. The only solution would be to train a bunch of kids and OVERSEE the work, but we all know how difficult that is.

I would wish you could continue giving these old homes the TLC they deserve, but believe me, I understand how taxing it is.

I have full confidence you guys will shine for many years concentrating on interiors.
Just like I say no more big purchases then what happens. A big purchase. I'm sure if the right one pops up we will take it.

We tried the hire young guys to do this work and it didn't pan out. Right now we have a real good crew, was at 5 now down to 3 and soon to be down to 2. 2 went back to school, one isn't working out any more.

I would love to hire a bunch of guys and have them do our work. I'm trying to figure out how some of you guys do it.

Bill I'm pretty sure we will do some exterior work next summer but after this year being inside during these hot days.

This is the house.

92 degrees outside today and we were under the tarp. I was impressed, it felt like it was about 10 degrees cooler under there. We have to tarp this one as we go. Neighbor is a ba$tard, he ratted out the guy painting next door, he got fined from the lead inspector.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdpainting For This Useful Post:
daArch (09-09-2015), SemiproJohn (09-09-2015)