Looked at a big lead job - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Lead Paint Discussion


Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By cdpainting
  • 4 Post By RH
  • 1 Post By cdpainting
  • 4 Post By thinkpainting/nick
  • 1 Post By RH
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2017, 06:00 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
cdpainting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 8,585
Rewards Points: 872
Thanks: 4,513
Thanked 4,496 Times in 2,832 Posts
View cdpainting's Photo Album My Photos
Default Looked at a big lead job

Yesterday we looked at a big lead job. The owner and I were talking about lead paint process. He said the siding will be all removed and replaced. He also said he decided to hire a non licensed or certified contractor due to the added costs. I politely said I think we will have to pass on this one.

The Exeter river is very close to the back of the building. No way in heck will we chance us getting into trouble because if the carpenter. I already know he will just rip and toss the old siding without wrapping it in plastic first. I know some will end up in the river.
cdpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-24-2017, 12:54 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
jprefect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: New London, CT
Posts: 155
Rewards Points: 262
Thanks: 220
Thanked 58 Times in 37 Posts
View jprefect's Photo Album My Photos
Default

that sucks.
jprefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:30 AM   #3
Kev D.
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newfoundland Can.
Posts: 185
Rewards Points: 237
Thanks: 53
Thanked 57 Times in 42 Posts
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdpainting View Post
Yesterday we looked at a big lead job. The owner and I were talking about lead paint process. He said the siding will be all removed and replaced. He also said he decided to hire a non licensed or certified contractor due to the added costs. I politely said I think we will have to pass on this one.

The Exeter river is very close to the back of the building. No way in heck will we chance us getting into trouble because if the carpenter. I already know he will just rip and toss the old siding without wrapping it in plastic first. I know some will end up in the river.
What was he having you quote on CD?
finishesbykevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 03-26-2017, 11:29 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
cdpainting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 8,585
Rewards Points: 872
Thanks: 4,513
Thanked 4,496 Times in 2,832 Posts
View cdpainting's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishesbykevyn View Post
What was he having you quote on CD?
Our bid was for scraping lead paint on all trim and wooden gutters. All siding was being ripped off and replaced by a carpenter.

We found out yesterday the contractor isn't licensed or certified. I won't touch this project now at all.
ridesarize likes this.
cdpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:28 PM   #5
Kev D.
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newfoundland Can.
Posts: 185
Rewards Points: 237
Thanks: 53
Thanked 57 Times in 42 Posts
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdpainting View Post
Our bid was for scraping lead paint on all trim and wooden gutters. All siding was being ripped off and replaced by a carpenter.

We found out yesterday the contractor isn't licensed or certified. I won't touch this project now at all.
I'm assuming that you have to be lead certified where you are..Curious, would it not also be more appropriate (and safer) to just remove all the trim and gutters and replace as well? ..
The amount of work involved in containing all that paint from scraping would incredible.
Would you scrape by hand or with grinders?
finishesbykevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:36 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
ridesarize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Near Seattle
Posts: 1,345
Rewards Points: 622
Thanks: 1,074
Thanked 694 Times in 438 Posts
View ridesarize's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishesbykevyn View Post
I'm assuming that you have to be lead certified where you are..Curious, would it not also be more appropriate (and safer) to just remove all the trim and gutters and replace as well? ..
The amount of work involved in containing all that paint from scraping would incredible.
Would you scrape by hand or with grinders?
When you manually remove the boards and trim, it entails cutting, ripping apart etc, and would require containing dust/debris and bagging each piece anyways, tough job. The carpenters will be contaminating the whole outside and likely the interior space as well in their procedures.
__________________
That lacquer undercoater doesn't affect me affect me...
ridesarize is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ridesarize For This Useful Post:
cdpainting (03-27-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 11:24 PM   #7
RH
Moderator
 
RH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 15,301
Rewards Points: 11,058
Thanks: 10,387
Thanked 14,582 Times in 7,461 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos
Default

What's interesting is if a structure is to be demolished, lead dust containment procedures don't have to be followed. Totally asinine in my opinion.
__________________
"I'm sure glad you called me. There's no room for amateurs in this game."

John Goodman - "Arachnophobia"
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:17 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
cdpainting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 8,585
Rewards Points: 872
Thanks: 4,513
Thanked 4,496 Times in 2,832 Posts
View cdpainting's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishesbykevyn View Post
I'm assuming that you have to be lead certified where you are..Curious, would it not also be more appropriate (and safer) to just remove all the trim and gutters and replace as well? ..
The amount of work involved in containing all that paint from scraping would incredible.
Would you scrape by hand or with grinders?
Replacing trim is not in the budget. We bid on scraping.
cdpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:19 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
cdpainting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 8,585
Rewards Points: 872
Thanks: 4,513
Thanked 4,496 Times in 2,832 Posts
View cdpainting's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Most of you know all I want is every one to follow these RRP/Lead rules. It isn't wise to get involved in a project like this if not everyone is certified or licensed.
lilpaintchic likes this.
cdpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:18 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
thinkpainting/nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,503
Rewards Points: 1,760
Thanks: 919
Thanked 1,359 Times in 677 Posts
View thinkpainting/nick's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdpainting View Post
Most of you know all I want is every one to follow these RRP/Lead rules. It isn't wise to get involved in a project like this if not everyone is certified or licensed.
That's never gonna happen . sorry but I never agreed to this regulation and shake down of my money to Feds and state . Still amazes me the howmower is exempt from the law and illegals as well.

My certificate runs out in 2019 after that I'm not renewing or giving another dime. I pay eneough already to play by the rules when so many others don't and never get touched. It's bullsh&t
thinkpainting/nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:32 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Pete the Painter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Gloucester, MA
Posts: 1,477
Rewards Points: 44
Thanks: 1,343
Thanked 743 Times in 395 Posts
View Pete the Painter's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpainting/nick View Post
That's never gonna happen . sorry but I never agreed to this regulation and shake down of my money to Feds and state . Still amazes me the howmower is exempt from the law and illegals as well.

My certificate runs out in 2019 after that I'm not renewing or giving another dime. I pay eneough already to play by the rules when so many others don't and never get touched. It's bullsh&t
I am beginning the same way. I looked a a job last week. The house was built im 1930, and she has had many painters. I was the first one to ever mention lead. Last summer I turned down a job because of lead. In less than a couple of weeks there was a bog crew there sanding away like crazy. One of the painters was talking to me and said the paint was really hard to sand and wondered if it was lead..I told him yes it is. This was not a house that had to be test. I looked at it and knew right away it was covered in lead.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
__________________
Ancora Imparo (I'm Still Learning)--Michelangelo
www.petethepaintergloucester.com
www.petethepainterrockport.com
www.paintercapeann.com
Pete the Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:30 PM   #12
RH
Moderator
 
RH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 15,301
Rewards Points: 11,058
Thanks: 10,387
Thanked 14,582 Times in 7,461 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete the Painter View Post
I am beginning the same way. I looked a a job last week. The house was built im 1930, and she has had many painters. I was the first one to ever mention lead. Last summer I turned down a job because of lead. In less than a couple of weeks there was a bog crew there sanding away like crazy. One of the painters was talking to me and said the paint was really hard to sand and wondered if it was lead..I told him yes it is. This was not a house that had to be test. I looked at it and knew right away it was covered in lead.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
Dealing with lead based paint on a place is bad enough, but a house covered in lead? No wonder it was a b---ch to sand.
chrisn likes this.
__________________
"I'm sure glad you called me. There's no room for amateurs in this game."

John Goodman - "Arachnophobia"
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
eews (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 08:46 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Pete the Painter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Gloucester, MA
Posts: 1,477
Rewards Points: 44
Thanks: 1,343
Thanked 743 Times in 395 Posts
View Pete the Painter's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
Dealing with lead based paint on a place is bad enough, but a house covered in lead? No wonder it was a b---ch to sand.
We were doing a lead job across the street, and it had tons of lead. We tried using a Festool RO 125 with 50 grit saphire paper. The paper just gummed up. Only heat guys and paint shaver put a dent in it.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
__________________
Ancora Imparo (I'm Still Learning)--Michelangelo
www.petethepaintergloucester.com
www.petethepainterrockport.com
www.paintercapeann.com
Pete the Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 05:20 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
cdpainting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 8,585
Rewards Points: 872
Thanks: 4,513
Thanked 4,496 Times in 2,832 Posts
View cdpainting's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete the Painter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
Dealing with lead based paint on a place is bad enough, but a house covered in lead? No wonder it was a b---ch to sand.
We were doing a lead job across the street, and it had tons of lead. We tried using a Festool RO 125 with 50 grit saphire paper. The paper just gummed up. Only heat guys and paint shaver put a dent in it.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
I learned pretty quickly the sander papers gum up fast. The shaver is the only way to go for power tool removal. I'm still on the fence about selling the shaver. We plan on avoiding rrp work this year.
cdpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:47 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
View Houptee's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
What's interesting is if a structure is to be demolished, lead dust containment procedures don't have to be followed. Totally asinine in my opinion.
I live in NJ and many homes have been demolished after Sandy. Right right next door to me was one built in 1905 and they just crushed it and loaded it in dumpsters. It had plaster walls but the siding was vinyl over painted dutch lap wood. No procedures were used to try and contain any dust and it blew all over the neighborhood. Im sure there was lead in the house.

The one across the street they got the grant to rebuild thru HUD and NJ. The house was built in the 50's. There was a asbestos remediation company there for one day then the house came down same as the other one dust blowing everywhere as well as insulation and various debris that ended up in my yard wrapped around all the shrubs. I dragged it all back to the dumpster before the town came and accused me of dumping toxic waste on my property!
Houptee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
5,300 U.S. water systems are in violation of lead rules cdpainting Lead Paint Discussion 7 07-02-2016 02:24 PM
LEAD Jobs + Scraping / Washing JakeTheAnchor General Painting Discussion 5 05-06-2016 05:34 AM
House Fixers On HGTV and Lead Paint RH Off Topic (Non Trade) 17 03-13-2016 10:57 AM
Lead schooling goos3burt General Painting Discussion 2 03-04-2016 09:29 PM
Lead poisoning Mike2coat Lead Paint Discussion 11 09-19-2015 06:45 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | ElectricianTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com