Dulux v.s Sherwin - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Decorative Finishes

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By PACman
  • 1 Post By PACman

Old 01-31-2017, 07:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
View pinturapainting's Photo Album My Photos
Default Dulux v.s Sherwin

Hello guys, I am a long time user of Dulux/PPG/Glidden. For the last 18 years. Recently; through a series of events; I have been turned onto Sherwin Williams.

I've been trying out some of their products for the last month or so, and, would like for maybe some of you to give your opinion regarding the crossovers. Also pricing. It might help for you guys to know that I am in Canada...

Typically, I work in higher end homes and re-paints. My go to products from Dulux were- Glidden Ultra Hide (7700 dead flat) for ceilings, Diamond matte (for walls) and Diamond semi-gloss for trim. The rep from SW gave me a crossover of: Opulence Matte for walls, All surface enamel or (super paint semi-gloss), and pro Mar 400 for ceilings. I'm not a big fan of the all surface semi, and had him demo me pro classic. He is working to beat prices, and so, I believe: gave me the products he did to give better rates.

However, I'm curious if the opulence matte is of the same quality of the diamond matte. With Dulux's patented ceramic michrosphere technology, the scrub ability and durability of the matte paint seemingly our performs the opulence. Would Duration be a better crossover? From what I've read, durations matte seems to have a higher sheen then I would desire.

I would love to hear anything you guys have to say about any of this, but, what would be most helpful is if I could get an idea of where Dulux's Diamond Matte crosses over to Sherwin, as far as quality goes. For not only the product that I could compare, but also pricing.

Thanks in advance.
pinturapainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2017, 02:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 78
View ThreeSistersPainting's Photo Album My Photos

When I started my business I only used Sherwin products as well as Rodda. Thing about Sherwin is they do a real good job of advertising to homeowners that they have the best paint, in return it is a little more pricey.

I am a huge fan of there SuperPaint (interior and exterior). Problem is interior with my discount is $35 a gallon, for trim this is a great price in the semi-gloss category. They also have a product called "Sunwest Builders Enamel" that's about $28-30 a gallon and is a great alternative, does not brush or touch up well though. Hardly get sags with it though.

I would rather use there Contractor Series than promar 400 personally on ceilings and even walls.

If your cutting and rolling 2 coats on the walls, promar 200 is a great 2 coat system that never lets me down.
ThreeSistersPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:03 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 34
View AngieM's Photo Album My Photos

For finish paint I wouldn't recommend pro mar 200. I'm surprised no one has jumped all over this with a rant about using quality products. Even though I have to pay $35 a gallon for Duration, I'm happy to put my name on it long term.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
AngieM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2017, 09:10 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 212
View Gymschu's Photo Album My Photos

Having been an SW painter for almost 40 years, I agree with all of the above. It will take you some time to find the right fit for the type of work you do. Being a high-end guy, I think you will be disappointed in SW's high end paints. Very pricey for the performance. As Angie stated, Duration is pretty good stuff, although there are times where I've had to apply 3 coats (darker colors, even taupes) to get proper coverage. Emerald is decent, but at $70 per gallon retail, a disappointment to me anyway. SuperPaint and Cashmere are my "go-to" paints at SW and I would say they are mid-level in quality. ProMar 400 for ceilings actually works better than their ceiling paint, Emminence, but I would never use 400 on walls.

Give the Cashmere a shot. The sheens are a bit different than what you are used to. They will give you a gallon to try I'm sure.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:38 AM   #5

I have to disagree with your recommendation on cashmere. I could do an infomercial on the 101 ways cashmere sucks (sorry for the vulgarity). I have a thread here called Cashmere, terrible hide with pictures. Talk about a paint that will cost you money in labor. Not only that but touch up terrible. Count on rerolling the entire wall. Oh and low sheen is more like semi gloss. The more coats you apply the shinier it gets. That's just to make a few.

The Duration has the best hide I've ever seen. I have another thread somewhere with a video showing me painting ivory white over maroon red. Phenomenal. The matte does have an angular sheen so have to remember to finish your roller the same direction consistently down the wall.

As you're trying new paint be sure to take advantage of SW test drive offer. For any new paint you've never bought they'll give you a steep discount on a job.

Sorry I can't speak to the actual question of comparing Dulux to SW

Last edited by AngieM; 02-01-2017 at 09:41 AM..
Old 02-01-2017, 01:02 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,168
Thanked 4,161 Times in 2,737 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieM View Post
For finish paint I wouldn't recommend pro mar 200. I'm surprised no one has jumped all over this with a rant about using quality products. Even though I have to pay $35 a gallon for Duration, I'm happy to put my name on it long term.

believe me i have done plenty of ranting about Promar 200 being used as a premium home paint!
AngieM likes this.

"Screw you guys! I'm going home!" Cartmann
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 02:38 PM   #7

AngieM, you're killing me here! I remember your rant about Cashmere and I HAVE NOT had those issues with it other than the sheen stuff. I seem to get good coverage with it. Maybe I better pay more attention. I did a huge church sanctuary in Cashmere Pearl and the church folks (which included plenty of nit-pickers) absolutely loved the look. It really does apply buttery smooth and the finish is smoother than SuperPaint Satin. Now, Duration gives me more problems than Cashmere in terms of coverage. I did a dining room in a taupe color over top of a lighter taupe and it looked horrible. Three coats later and I still wasn't happy with it.

Guess I need to drive to Mansfield and get some California paint from PacMan.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
AngieM, you're killing me here! I remember your rant about Cashmere and I HAVE NOT had those issues with it other than the sheen stuff. I seem to get good coverage with it. Maybe I better pay more attention. I did a huge church sanctuary in Cashmere Pearl and the church folks (which included plenty of nit-pickers) absolutely loved the look. It really does apply buttery smooth and the finish is smoother than SuperPaint Satin. Now, Duration gives me more problems than Cashmere in terms of coverage. I did a dining room in a taupe color over top of a lighter taupe and it looked horrible. Three coats later and I still wasn't happy with it.

I have had a few painters tell me they have had problems like this with Cashmere. They switched to Unite and have never looked back.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:40 PM   #9

Quote:

I'm not in Mansfield btw.
Gymschu likes this.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman View Post
I'm not in Mansfield btw.
Ontario, which is my old stompin' grounds.........I used to roam the corridors of the Richland Mall. My address was Ontario, but I actually lived behind Graham Ford which was closer to Mansfield than Ontario or so I thought back in the day. I really liked the area with all the smaller communities centered around Mansfield. I was just getting ready to move to Crestline when I got transferred. Ages ago.........
Old 02-01-2017, 09:52 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,228
Thanked 1,532 Times in 763 Posts
View epretot's Photo Album My Photos

If you can't make Cashmere look good, you're doing something wrong.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Ontario, which is my old stompin' grounds.........I used to roam the corridors of the Richland Mall. My address was Ontario, but I actually lived behind Graham Ford which was closer to Mansfield than Ontario or so I thought back in the day. I really liked the area with all the smaller communities centered around Mansfield. I was just getting ready to move to Crestline when I got transferred. Ages ago.........
great! Now my painttalk stalker has reference points! I guess he won't be bothered with calling my 85 year old mom anymore!

The Following User Says Thank You to PACman For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 09:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by epretot View Post
If you can't make Cashmere look good, you're doing something wrong.
Anyone can make Cashmere look good over the same color with 2 coats. It'll make YOU look good too... as you admire your reflection in it. 😂😋

Old 02-02-2017, 06:15 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,228
Thanked 1,532 Times in 763 Posts
View epretot's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieM View Post
Anyone can make Cashmere look good over the same color with 2 coats. It'll make YOU look good too... as you admire your reflection in it. 😂😋

It covers good enough. Sheen is too high. It tones down after 2 weeks.