CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Decorative Finishes

Old 05-08-2011, 03:33 AM   #1
P&D Trainer & Assessor

Rewards Points: 508
View pacificpainters.com's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to pacificpainters.com
Thumbs up Make your own latex glaze

Not sure if any one else has said anything about home made glazes before (I am sure someone has).

In Fiji it is very difficult to get materials so necessity is the mother of invention.

I use a mix of a

1) bright base or deep base acrylic paint (something with little or no titanium dioxide) or a latex water proofing solution. For interiors you may use just a PVA glue. The following options are much cheaper but not recommended exterior or wet areas, you also may need to thin these a bit with water.

2) Mono Propylene Glycol - this can be bought in most chemical distributors. It is a food based glycol and is used in the manufacturing of paint.

I have found a mix of five parts paint to 1 part mono propylene glycol to be effective. You may adjust that mix with some experimentation but make a note of the ratio so you can ensure consistency.

pacificpainters.com is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pacificpainters.com For This Useful Post:
Miss Brown (06-14-2011)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Tags
decorative, faux, finishes, glaze, marble