Best way to prime new exterior wood - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > Introductions

Old 01-09-2017, 05:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
View airless40's Photo Album My Photos
Default Best way to prime new exterior wood

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a better way, if there is one, to prime new wood. I've always used oil based primer/undercoat followed by an oil based top coat.
For the last 20 years, I've been using high quality water base as a top coat.

My question is can I use a thinned 1st coat of tung oil or similar product, on the new wood, followed by oil base primer and then water based finish coat.

I'm looking for the best performance technique to have a long lasting paint job on wood fascia boards.

Thanks
airless40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2017, 07:05 PM   #2
PRC

Rewards Points: 42
View PRC's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by airless40 View Post
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a better way, if there is one, to prime new wood. I've always used oil based primer/undercoat followed by an oil based top coat.
For the last 20 years, I've been using high quality water base as a top coat.

My question is can I use a thinned 1st coat of tung oil or similar product, on the new wood, followed by oil base primer and then water based finish coat.

I'm looking for the best performance technique to have a long lasting paint job on wood fascia boards.

Thanks
Are you experiencing problems with your current system? What would you see as the purpose of the tung oil?
We oil prime all sides and topcoat with 100% acrylic.
PRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:41 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,056
View Jason@API's Photo Album My Photos

I have never seen any issues with using Peel Bond by XIM. I have used this for raw wood for a few years and especially on fascia boards. It's the best latex bonding primer I have ever seen. Honestly, I think it may even out do oil primers... It's that good. UMA is another one of their products I love...

Jason@API is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2017, 04:56 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,426
View woodcoyote's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@API View Post
I have never seen any issues with using Peel Bond by XIM. I have used this for raw wood for a few years and especially on fascia boards. It's the best latex bonding primer I have ever seen. Honestly, I think it may even out do oil primers... It's that good. UMA is another one of their products I love...
Seconded.

Peelbond is some awesome stuff. Not sure what the longevity is compared to oil, but I'm sure it's way up there. That stuff bonds paint like crazy, have a hard time cleaning brushes afterwards...that was proof in the pudding for me.

Another option if you don't want to use peel bond would be like an extreme bond primer (sw product). I'd use a bonding primer or oil like others have said...problem solved.
woodcoyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:02 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 137
View PNW Painter's Photo Album My Photos

I've had great success using SW PrimeRx and XIM PeelBond after sanding exteriors where the paint started flaking or peeling.

Although I've never used either product for new raw wood, I don't see why it wouldn't be an excellent choice. Beyond its excellent adhesion, it also seals wood very well and could help extend the open time of faster drying paints.

I'm curious, but does anybody knows how the perm ratings for oil primers compare to peel bond style primers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PNW Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:17 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 380
View Jerr's Photo Album My Photos

The crew here gave you great advise. Welcome a aboard.
Jerr is offline   Reply With Quote