Featured Pro: RH - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Paint Talk Community > Featured Paint Pros


 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2014, 10:20 PM   #1
Administrator
 
Cricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,245
Rewards Points: 4,055
Thanks: 1,587
Thanked 2,282 Times in 916 Posts
View Cricket's Photo Album My Photos
Arrow Featured Pro: RH

Featured Pro: RH-100_1647.jpg

Hi! My name is Dan - known to most of you as RH.

I'm currently 61 years old and have been painting for more than forty of those years.

Like many of you, I started painting by doing projects for my dad. One time we had a remodeling GC come by the house to do some custom cabinet work and he asked me if I would be interested in painting during the summers. He connected me with a buddy of his who owned a painting business and so it began.

I continued to paint in the summers during my college years while I earned a degree in education. I began teaching in 1975. At that point, I broke away from working for someone else and started my own company. Eventually I teamed up with two other guys to form a partnership and I worked out of the bucket in the summers while continuing to be a part of the business during the school year by doing bids and handling most of the paperwork side of things.

Eventually the partnership dissolved (amicably), and I went back to being on my own up until about the last eight years of my teaching career. At that point my summers became more important to me than the money. Upon retiring in 2006, I started to get a lot of enquiries from previous customers and acquaintances about painting. So, after a year of pretty much doing nothing I reacquired my Oregon CCB license and formed our present business.

What I initially thought would be part time soon turned into full time. When my wife retired in 2010 she joined me in the business. She does much of the prep work which frees me to get to the painting. We make a good team - the clients love our work and together we do a good job of representing our business.

We have two grown children, a daughter 38 and a son 29. We also have two grandsons. We own two cats, and, of course, our Welsh Corgi pup, Stevie.

When I'm not out painting, or at the computer doing paperwork associated with the company (or on PT), my hobbies are model railroading, camping, and fishing. I am also a long time season ticket holder for both the football and baseball programs at Oregon State University.

Life is good.
__________________
“Show respect to people who don't even deserve it; not as a reflection of their character, but as a reflection of yours.” (Dave Willis)

Last edited by RH; 10-11-2014 at 10:46 PM..
Cricket is offline  
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Cricket For This Useful Post:
Bender (10-12-2014), Brian C (10-12-2014), CApainter (10-12-2014), cardwizzard (10-13-2014), cdpainting (10-12-2014), chrisn (10-12-2014), daArch (10-12-2014), Jmayspaint (10-12-2014), Lambrecht (11-27-2014), MSJ Painting (10-12-2014), Oden (10-16-2014), Ole34 (10-11-2014), Paradigmzz (10-11-2014), ridesarize (11-20-2014), SaskPainter (11-01-2014), SemiproJohn (10-12-2014), slinger58 (10-12-2014), stelzerpaintinginc. (10-12-2014), TJ Paint (10-12-2014), Wildbill7145 (10-11-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-12-2014, 02:19 AM   #2
Troy
 
stelzerpaintinginc.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,781
Rewards Points: 246
Thanks: 1,987
Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,066 Posts
View stelzerpaintinginc.'s Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
Attachment 26231

Hi! My name is Dan - known to most of you as RH.

I'm currently 61 years old and have been painting for more than forty of those years.

Like many of you, I started painting by doing projects for my dad. One time we had a remodeling GC come by the house to do some custom cabinet work and he asked me if I would be interested in painting during the summers. He connected me with a buddy of his who owned a painting business and so it began.

I continued to paint in the summers during my college years while I earned a degree in education. I began teaching in 1975. At that point, I broke away from working for someone else and started my own company. Eventually I teamed up with two other guys to form a partnership and I worked out of the bucket in the summers while continuing to be a part of the business during the school year by doing bids and handling most of the paperwork side of things.

Eventually the partnership dissolved (amicably), and I went back to being on my own up until about the last eight years of my teaching career. At that point my summers became more important to me than the money. Upon retiring in 2006, I started to get a lot of enquiries from previous customers and acquaintances about painting. So, after a year of pretty much doing nothing I reacquired my Oregon CCB license and formed our present business.

What I initially thought would be part time soon turned into full time. When my wife retired in 2010 she joined me in the business. She does much of the prep work which frees me to get to the painting. We make a good team - the clients love our work and together we do a good job of representing our business.

We have two grown children, a daughter 38 and a son 29. We also have two grandsons. We own two cats, and, of course, our Welsh Corgi pup, Stevie.

When I'm not out painting, or at the computer doing paperwork associated with the company (or on PT), my hobbies are model railroading, camping, and fishing. I am also a long time season ticket holder for both the football and baseball programs at Oregon State University.

Life is good.

I like everything about your bio, except for the fact that you root for the wrong Oregon Team. Exchange the black-n-orange for some green-n-gold already. Geesh.


Stelzer Painting Inc.
__________________
Troy Stevens, Stelzer Painting Inc.stelzerpainting.com
stelzerpaintinginc. is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to stelzerpaintinginc. For This Useful Post:
RH (10-12-2014)
Old 10-12-2014, 08:12 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 8,634
Rewards Points: 942
Thanks: 4,524
Thanked 4,503 Times in 2,839 Posts
View cdpainting's Photo Album My Photos
Default

You have my vote this round.
cdpainting is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to cdpainting For This Useful Post:
RH (10-12-2014)
 
Old 10-12-2014, 08:27 AM   #4
Moderator
 
Wildbill7145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,146
Rewards Points: 1,170
Thanks: 3,561
Thanked 3,992 Times in 2,085 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdpainting View Post
You have my vote this round.
Ditto.
Wildbill7145 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Wildbill7145 For This Useful Post:
RH (10-12-2014)
Old 10-12-2014, 10:37 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Steve Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: CO
Posts: 7,225
Rewards Points: 673
Thanks: 6,754
Thanked 6,023 Times in 3,176 Posts
View Steve Richards's Photo Album My Photos
Default

You've done very well for yourself RH. Sounds like you've never really had to rely on painting as your sole source of annual income.
And even though that might make some a little jealous (myself included), no one handed it to you. You earned it...and If I wasn't Chrisn's campaign manager, Id'a voted for you.
Steve Richards is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve Richards For This Useful Post:
chrisn (10-12-2014), RH (10-12-2014)
Old 10-12-2014, 11:00 AM   #6
Moderator
 
Gough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Intermountain West
Posts: 10,539
Rewards Points: 840
Thanks: 11,620
Thanked 10,458 Times in 5,722 Posts
View Gough's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Richards View Post
You've done very well for yourself RH. Sounds like you've never really had to rely on painting as your sole source of annual income.
And even though that might make some a little jealous (myself included), no one handed it to you. You earned it...and If I wasn't Chrisn's campaign manager, Id'a voted for you.
K started teaching in 1970 and retired from it in 2007. Since then, I've spent a lot of days teaching with her in the area schools, doing outreach. For those of you who think it's an easy inside gig with no heavy lifting, let me disabuse you of that notion. It makes a windy day grinding paint off of a 40-footer look like a day at the beach. I can still paint 6 days a week, but we decided to limit ourselves to a maximum of 2 days/week teaching. More than that and we're totally worn out...and we don't even have to grade papers.
__________________
“The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.” – Henry David Thoreau
Gough is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gough For This Useful Post:
RH (10-12-2014), Steve Richards (10-12-2014)
Old 10-12-2014, 11:23 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Steve Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: CO
Posts: 7,225
Rewards Points: 673
Thanks: 6,754
Thanked 6,023 Times in 3,176 Posts
View Steve Richards's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I'm trying to teach my granddaughter how to whistle
Steve Richards is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Richards For This Useful Post:
slinger58 (10-12-2014)
Old 10-12-2014, 11:56 AM   #8
RH
Moderator
 
RH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 15,518
Rewards Points: 11,482
Thanks: 10,465
Thanked 14,678 Times in 7,522 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Jan was often frustrated that our kids would usually do what I told them to do the first time I said it while she'd have to say things several times. I always figured it was because both of them were smart enough to realize that after a day of teaching dad wasn't in the mood to have to say anything twice.
__________________
"I'm sure glad you called me. There's no room for amateurs in this game."

John Goodman - "Arachnophobia"
RH is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
journeymanPainter (10-12-2014)
Old 10-12-2014, 02:39 PM   #9
RH
Moderator
 
RH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 15,518
Rewards Points: 11,482
Thanks: 10,465
Thanked 14,678 Times in 7,522 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelzerpaintinginc. View Post
I like everything about your bio, except for the fact that you root for the wrong Oregon Team. Exchange the black-n-orange for some green-n-gold already. Geesh.

Stelzer Painting Inc.

LOL - Ain't gonna' happen. As you can see, win or lose I'm pretty committed to the Beavs.
Attached Thumbnails
Featured Pro: RH-102_2408.jpeg  

__________________
"I'm sure glad you called me. There's no room for amateurs in this game."

John Goodman - "Arachnophobia"
RH is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
ewingpainting.net (10-13-2014), Jmayspaint (10-12-2014), stelzerpaintinginc. (10-12-2014)
Old 10-12-2014, 05:01 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
CApainter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Posts: 11,661
Rewards Points: 1,556
Thanks: 10,775
Thanked 9,221 Times in 5,127 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Boomers are awesome! Nice read RH. You're a good role model...outside of PT I'm sure. J/K and good luck!
CApainter is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to CApainter For This Useful Post:
RH (10-12-2014)
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Featured Pro: Paradigmzz Cricket Featured Paint Pros 24 06-09-2015 06:08 PM
Featured Pro: Schmidt & Co. Cricket Featured Paint Pros 11 03-07-2015 10:28 PM
Featured Pro: benthepainter Cricket Featured Paint Pros 9 01-19-2015 11:59 AM
Featured Pro: chrisn Cricket Featured Paint Pros 9 10-12-2014 06:03 PM
Featured Pro: Brian C Cricket Featured Paint Pros 7 09-12-2014 04:25 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | ElectricianTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com