Angie's List advertising - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By PNW Painter
  • 2 Post By thinkpainting/nick
  • 1 Post By michaelcastillo
  • 1 Post By MikeCalifornia

Old 10-26-2016, 03:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View michaelcastillo's Photo Album My Photos
Default Angie's List advertising

Does anyone have any feedback on advertising on Angie's List. I've been advertising for a couple months now and it definitely pays for itself. I from Los Angeles by the way. The problem I have is the type of people who use this website. It's my only form of advertising and neither me or my painters are licensed but we do very professional work and have nothing but A reviews. My pricing is also cheaper than average and I am sometimes told I charge way too little. Yet all the people do is complain about the price.

Let's say someone wants a basic 12x12 bedroom painted walls and baseboards. Average cost in this city (not including paint) is between $300-$600 no matter who you call. I would charge $250. $200 for the walls and $50 for the baseboards.

I constantly get the "OMG are you kidding me!? Why is it so expensive?" reaction from even wealthy people. And I keep finding myself having to defend my pricing. While other painters I know easily sell just bedroom walls for $400 unquestioned and do the same good quality work that we do.

Is this just the quality of people that use angies list or what? Whats your experience?
michaelcastillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2016, 03:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 310
Thanked 3,806 Times in 1,952 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

Why are you charging less than the average, and stop defending your prices. If you're charging below average prices and people are whining about it, turn around and walk away. Those are not people you want to work for.
Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wildbill7145 For This Useful Post:
007 Dave (10-27-2016), Gracobucks (10-26-2016), loaded brush (10-26-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 04:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 129
View PNW Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Are these people also wanting to pay in cash? If they also know you're not licensed then they're expecting a huge discount compared to a licensed company that pays taxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
007 Dave likes this.
PNW Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 04:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 416
Thanked 4,088 Times in 2,673 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

If you took 100 people and put them in a room, asked them to raise their hand if they use Angie's list, the 30 cheapest people in the room will raise their hands. They think because their brother will paint the same room for $20 and a 12 pack every "professional" is expensive. Stick to your pricing and run from the people who won't pay for your services.

"Screw you guys! I'm going home!" Cartmann
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PACman For This Useful Post:
007 Dave (10-27-2016), michaelcastillo (10-26-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 05:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman View Post
If you took 100 people and put them in a room, asked them to raise their hand if they use Angie's list, the 30 cheapest people in the room will raise their hands. They think because their brother will paint the same room for $20 and a 12 pack every "professional" is expensive. Stick to your pricing and run from the people who won't pay for your services.
Good to know, thanks for the advice. Where is a good place to find better quality people? I provide a great service but it's hard to grow when dealing with bottom of the barrel type of people.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:33 PM   #6
PRC

Rewards Points: 38
View PRC's Photo Album My Photos

Get licensed, insured and keep working to provide a professional service. Maybe some marketing and SEO in your target area.
PRC is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PRC For This Useful Post:
007 Dave (10-27-2016), Gracobucks (10-26-2016), lilpaintchic (10-27-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 06:58 PM   #7

For me, word of mouth has been my greatest advertiser. But you gotta get in there with the people that are willing to pay more to get their friends, coworkers, etc. on board. Virtually all other forms of advertising has been a complete and utter failure for me, but that probably has something to do with my particularly small population base to work with.

That being said, ordering new Tshirts in the spring was one of my best decisions ever. Got "BILL THE PAINTER" put on the back in huge bold font lettering on the back. Within a month I had loads and loads of people recognizing me. In a strange way, I think that was one of the best advertising decisions I've ever made. Absolutely the simplest. Wish I'd thought of it....uh....14 years ago?

I wear these shirts when I visit Mom after work at her nursing home. Already have several jobs lined up with family members of the other residents and nurses who live and work there.

One old guy who lives there wants one of the shirts too which is pretty funny. I should just get a couple hundred made up and give them out there.

Last edited by Wildbill7145; 10-26-2016 at 07:01 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wildbill7145 For This Useful Post:
Gough (10-26-2016), lilpaintchic (10-27-2016), loaded brush (10-26-2016), thinkpainting/nick (10-26-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 07:20 PM   #8
very senior member

Rewards Points: 188
Thanked 5,209 Times in 3,167 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelcastillo View Post
Does anyone have any feedback on advertising on Angie's List. I've been advertising for a couple months now and it definitely pays for itself. I from Los Angeles by the way. The problem I have is the type of people who use this website. It's my only form of advertising and neither me or my painters are licensed but we do very professional work and have nothing but A reviews. My pricing is also cheaper than average and I am sometimes told I charge way too little. Yet all the people do is complain about the price.

Let's say someone wants a basic 12x12 bedroom painted walls and baseboards. Average cost in this city (not including paint) is between $300-$600 no matter who you call. I would charge $250. $200 for the walls and $50 for the baseboards.

I constantly get the "OMG are you kidding me!? Why is it so expensive?" reaction from even wealthy people. And I keep finding myself having to defend my pricing. While other painters I know easily sell just bedroom walls for $400 unquestioned and do the same good quality work that we do.

Is this just the quality of people that use angies list or what? Whats your experience?

These quotes speak volumes
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
lilpaintchic (10-27-2016), ridesarize (12-12-2016), Wolfgang (10-27-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 07:49 PM   #9
King Dude

Rewards Points: 114
Thanked 4,668 Times in 2,611 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

Angies List will not let you advertise if you're not licensed.
Rbriggs82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:25 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,666
Thanked 1,347 Times in 668 Posts
View thinkpainting/nick's Photo Album My Photos

Ah AG they suck period. How low can you go is there motto. At least here in my area . The absolute worst customers and company I've ever dealt with . Soon as I get threatened with a bad review and I havnt even started the job yet that tells me all I need to know.
chrisn and PACman like this.
thinkpainting/nick is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkpainting/nick For This Useful Post:
ridesarize (12-12-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 09:45 PM   #11

@PRC I'm getting licensed, insured and legitimately registered by the end of this year
@Wildbill7145 I'm already on it! I have a shipment of matching t-shirts on the way for me and the whole crew
@Rbriggs82 I'm not sure when that rule ended but anyone can advertise on there as long as you disclose all that information on your profile. My account manager knows none of us are licensed and it is ok with them.
@thinkpainting/nick I hear that! I do not move on my prices at all. If they don't wanna pay for it then that's the end of that. I'm not gonna lose money to satisfy the ungrateful people in this world. I just need a better way of finding quality customers that are serious about getting some painting done right.
Wildbill7145 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to michaelcastillo For This Useful Post:
thinkpainting/nick (10-26-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 09:55 PM   #12

vistaprint is your friend.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:04 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 24
View MikeCalifornia's Photo Album My Photos

Sure you didn't mean Craigslist instead of Angieslist?

Your pricing screams of CL. Although AL has changed who can use their site, typically they are charging a premium for prequalifying their contractors. I'm not sure how you are advertising or on that site if you do not have a contractors license?

I don't ever give a price on the spot unless it is really small. I listen to what the potential client wants and email them the pricing on a real proposal form. I learned real quick who I wanted to work for and who to not.
chrisn likes this.
MikeCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:09 AM   #14
very senior member

Rewards Points: 188
Thanked 5,209 Times in 3,167 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

[QUOTE=michaelcastillo;1302490]@PRC I'm getting licensed, insured and legitimately registered by the end of this year
@Wildbill7145 I'm already on it! I have a shipment of matching t-shirts on the way for me and the whole crew
@Rbriggs82 I'm not sure when that rule ended but anyone can advertise on there as long as you disclose all that information on your profile. My account manager knows none of us are licensed and it is ok with them.
@thinkpainting/nick I hear that! I do not move on my prices at all. If they don't wanna pay for it then that's the end of that. I'm not gonna lose money to satisfy the ungrateful people in this world. I just need a better way of finding quality customers that are serious about getting some painting done right.[/QUOTE]

Ditch the money mongering AL and just do quality work at a fair price and word of mouth is all you will need. PS, GET LICENSED!!
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
007 Dave (10-27-2016), Wolfgang (10-27-2016)
Old 10-27-2016, 09:49 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 4
Thanked 1,359 Times in 791 Posts
View lilpaintchic's Photo Album My Photos

[quote=chrisn;1302634]
Quote:
@PRC I'm getting licensed, insured and legitimately registered by the end of this year
@thinkpainting/nick I hear that! I do not move on my prices at all. If they don't wanna pay for it then that's the end of that. I'm not gonna lose money to satisfy the ungrateful people in this world. I just need a better way of finding quality customers that are serious about getting some painting done right.[/QUOTE]

Ditch the money mongering AL and just do quality work at a fair price and word of mouth is all you will need. PS, GET LICENSED!!
And become a legal employer. yes, it's expensive and yes, your customers pay for it. It's the right thing to do, your employees need and deserve to be covered by lni among other things....
lilpaintchic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lilpaintchic For This Useful Post:
007 Dave (10-27-2016), Gough (10-29-2016), stelzerpaintinginc. (10-28-2016), Wolfgang (10-28-2016)
Old 10-28-2016, 12:12 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 168
View 007 Dave's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

There are people that are going to moan and groan about pricing no matter how high or low it is. I've given estimates where I thought maybe I should cut this price a little and did cut it and give it to the Home owner and they tell me how high my price is compared to what they thought it would be. and other times I write up an estimate and add everything up and think to myself Man that is a lot , and when I give it to the home owner they would say "Is that all"? Like some have said here, Stick to your price you will be glad you did.
007 Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 01:08 AM   #17

Thanks everyone for all your responses. I am always open to change for improvement and even if it's hard just starting out I believe with my drive and determination to be the best. I will be. I will be sticking around this forum, lots of helpful information and friendly people.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:20 AM   #18
Painting Co. Owner

Rewards Points: 192
View Greg Mrakich's Photo Album My Photos

AL has changed. Now it is a free service so the price firewall is down and people who were too cheap to pay before are flooding in. I still get a good amount of work via AL but I ask more questions now before doing an estimate. If they are old time AL users, Ill do the estimate. Others are just price shoppers.
Greg Mrakich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Mrakich For This Useful Post:
PACman (12-12-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 02:17 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 18
View Showtime's Photo Album My Photos

I experienced Porch and Thumbtack as a startup. What I learned was there are 2 types of homeowners 1) looking for the lowest bid which in turn leaves less than average quality. I walked away with half answers to their questions 2) homeowners who will pay for quality. It all starts with what range you plan to be true to low-bid range, mid, or high. I choose mid and stayed loyal to it. In return I get paid what I'm worth. Now keep in mind there are also 2 types of painters. 1) low bidders those who will charge way below average. These tend to cut corners to get in and out. 2) quality with speed these guys stay in the mid range and walk away from the headache of undercuts and low-bid homeowners. Keep in mind homeowners who goto Angielist, Porch, Thumbtack etc are shoppers bro. They are sourcing around for the lowest bid and or trying to simply get info. I found myself paying for leads with contact and only question in email. ALERT "Stay Away From Homeadvisors" Being that your unlicensed and probably a startup keep doing what your doing jus don't get discouraged by questions like "wow thats way to much". They could always do it themselves however jus because someone hold a brush that doesn't make them a painter.

BTW keep in mind many homeowners with money will say things like "thats why they got money". Either they sold you to drop your price or you sell them to getting paid what your worth. If its to much for them jus task to see their lowest bid and beat it. in the end I regret using Porch and Thumbtack I now use that money for SEO. I almost hired a company to do it till I heard that there is a risk in them stealing your content and charging you for your own leads. As you progress you might want to focus on SEO. Wordpress has a super user friendly platform for creating websites "DiVi by elegant themes."
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 01:44 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 4
View PhoneWagon's Photo Album My Photos

I used to work with a painting company in Colorado and he told me one of his biggest channels for getting high quality leads that actually turned into paying customers is through interior designers. He would build relationships with these designers and they would refer him a ton of business. There was a mutual benefit, obviously, and he provided great work that they could rely on. It's certainly not a quick solution but if you put in the work and build the relationship it will pay off for years.
PhoneWagon is offline   Reply With Quote