Employee incentives - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By CApainter
  • 1 Post By Bookkeeper4Painters
  • 1 Post By epretot
  • 1 Post By lilpaintchic
  • 2 Post By kmp
  • 1 Post By ParamountPaint
  • 1 Post By cdpainting

Old 12-06-2016, 11:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View BBrush's Photo Album My Photos
Smile Employee incentives

We are thinking about giving our painters some type of incentives for doing a great job. We don't want to give them incentives for finishing the job early because that just leads to sloppy work. What kinds of things do you do that bring up motivation and dedication?
BBrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2016, 01:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 692
Thanked 9,118 Times in 5,052 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Probably the biggest employee incentive, in terms of a painter, is to give them opportunities to develop themselves. Most seem to seek the chance to be self employed some day, and management experience within their current employment would facilitate that.
BBrush (12-06-2016), George Z (12-08-2016), LynnJ (12-06-2016), Tonyg (12-10-2016), Wolfgang (12-11-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 03:06 PM   #3
www.onlinebookkeep.com

Rewards Points: 40
View Bookkeeper4Painters's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to Bookkeeper4Painters

If your business is an S-Corp, you can provide some employee retirement package for veteran employees and get a nice tax deduction to lower your own tax liability (plus the owner of the S-Corp can often deduct their contributions). For S Corps, SEP IRAs are often a great option to save on taxes.
Eagle Cap Painter likes this.
Bookkeeper4Painters is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bookkeeper4Painters For This Useful Post:
cdpainting (12-10-2016)

Old 12-10-2016, 03:12 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 674
Thanked 1,640 Times in 1,052 Posts
View journeymanPainter's Photo Album My Photos

Winter work....lol
Sometimes a little extra check is nice, maybe with a note stating that the customer was happy with how the job went, etc

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
journeymanPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 05:18 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,224
Thanked 1,531 Times in 762 Posts
View epretot's Photo Album My Photos

Remember when working hard and doing a good job was rewarded by a paycheck and a raise? Now employees have to be coddled and given safe spaces.

I feel like my guys produce what they should. We have a pretty laid back work environment. That was earned of course.

I think employers should have reasonable expectations of their workforce. I'm getting better at that...I think.
journeymanPainter likes this.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:05 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,290
View woodcoyote's Photo Album My Photos

Set bar standards.

1.) Work has to be done correctly
2.) We have until Thursday at 3:00pm to be done.
3.) IF* done properly, upon inspection, and deadline is met....10% more. Or whatever you decide.

4.) ELSE* if work has many touch-ups needed, more than 2 hour worth, docked pay. If not taken out, half-day removed next week.

woodcoyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:01 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10
Thanked 1,391 Times in 815 Posts
View lilpaintchic's Photo Album My Photos

I feed em. Buy em a nice lunch, send some pizza and soda, get em a gift card once in a while....ive found that small tokens go a long way in team moral. When you raise the day to day moral, folks are more productive usually....if ya got some extra cash at the end of the year maybe a bonus based on number of hours worked in the year would be in order for the leads...
cdpainting likes this.
lilpaintchic is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lilpaintchic For This Useful Post:
Wolfgang (12-11-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 10:32 PM   #8
kmp

Rewards Points: 1,058
View kmp's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcoyote View Post
Set bar standards.

1.) Work has to be done correctly
2.) We have until Thursday at 3:00pm to be done.
3.) IF* done properly, upon inspection, and deadline is met....10% more. Or whatever you decide.

4.) ELSE* if work has many touch-ups needed, more than 2 hour worth, docked pay. If not taken out, half-day removed next week.

You have to be real careful about docking pay or making an employee fix it on their dime. Unless they are 1099 it's illegal. You can certainly give them the time off for a screw up that costs you money but then tha'ts not an incentive either
ridesarize and lilpaintchic like this.
kmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:56 AM   #9
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 5,316
Thanked 5,034 Times in 2,727 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

If jobs come in at or under budget, everyone gets paid lunches. If a job goes over budget, they lose paid lunches until they come in under budget and earn it back.
DeanV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:43 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,290
View woodcoyote's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp View Post
You have to be real careful about docking pay or making an employee fix it on their dime. Unless they are 1099 it's illegal. You can certainly give them the time off for a screw up that costs you money but then tha'ts not an incentive either
Depends on if their exempt or non-exempt.

Most of the time we don't dock at all but instead give a work-around of having additional time off in the next week or two. So in other words, screw up in anyway and either get let-go or take a day or two off.

While it may not be an "additive" incentive, it's a negative incentive as far as breaking the rules or not completing like we had planned (us, working as a unit).

If there's a safety net, people don't perform at their top. If they don't bring the job back into alignment or do sloppy work with no consequences, then there is no negative incentive. They adopt the attitude of "so what", nothing can happen if I do bad and if I do good...I get paid more.

Reason would have people thinking getting paid more would be an incentive enough, but not always. You have to counter nature's laziness. If it requires a greater amount of effort to achieve more money, it might be viewed as "not worth it", with many content doing an average job not putting forth great effort to achieve a minimal gain.

Point:
Take away the safety net. Now walk the tight-rope line on the daily...
woodcoyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:10 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 88
View ElegantPainting's Photo Album My Photos

Docking pay is illegal in WA state.

My #1 guy gets top dollar, 2 weeks paid vacation, end of exterior season bonus, welcome back bonus in spring, and Christmas bonus.
ElegantPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 06:33 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 238
View ParamountPaint's Photo Album My Photos

Year round work, in places with bad weather, is a pretty good deal. We've been fortunate to provide 40 hr work weeks year round, aside from the occasional hiccup. Aside from that, we do paid days off when there is nothing to do for whatever reason. I also do paid holidays.

That's about the best I can realistically do.
lilpaintchic likes this.
ParamountPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 06:37 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 238
View ParamountPaint's Photo Album My Photos

I'm also implementing paid vacation accrual, within reason. If I was able, I would do more, but it is a work in progress
ParamountPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:56 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 640
Thanked 4,478 Times in 2,815 Posts
View cdpainting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpaintchic View Post
I feed em. Buy em a nice lunch, send some pizza and soda, get em a gift card once in a while....ive found that small tokens go a long way in team moral. When you raise the day to day moral, folks are more productive usually....if ya got some extra cash at the end of the year maybe a bonus based on number of hours worked in the year would be in order for the leads...
We take the crew out for lobsters if we finish ahead of schedule. Pizza a couple times a month as long as we are on track and bonuses in their checks, we usually don't say anything kind of a little surprise for them on payday. Some guys deserve a bonus some don't, some are lucky to even have a job.
lilpaintchic likes this.
cdpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:07 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,330
Thanked 1,311 Times in 563 Posts
View Roamer's Photo Album My Photos

There are all sorts of weird rules when it comes to docking someone's pay. Most important. You cannot dock the pay to the point where they are making less than minimum wage for the hours worked.

That aside, docking pay is just brutal and too negative to be any kind of motivator. If the guy isn't performing at the level you need then tell him so, give him a chance to improve and then terminate if the behavior continues.
Rbriggs82 (12-29-2016), Wildbill7145 (12-29-2016)