CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 11-14-2011, 08:34 AM   #1

View mpminter's Photo Album My Photos
Default Estimate templates/forms?

Does anyone out there have some sort of estimate template, checklist, or form that they use as a guide when putting together estimates for various jobs? I am envisioning one for exteriors, one for interiors, one for cabinetry, and maybe one for power washing. Basically just something to reference while looking at the job to make sure all the needed information is gathered and that it is recorded in a logical, easy to use manner. I can't tell you how many times I have looked at a job only to get back to the office and realize I forgot to measure something or I forgot to check what something was made of, etc. I am going to start building my own in the near future, but I would love to see what I could glean from what some of the rest of you are using.

mpminter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mpminter For This Useful Post:
Ultimate (11-14-2011)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 11-14-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
HL Estimating (Gabe)

View HL Estimator (Gabe)'s Photo Album My Photos

Its about a system that needs to be followed and stick to it. I usually work from inside out.

Interior walls, doors, ceilings, baseboard, crown, exterior walls, trim. Then scope out for specialty items and put it last so you dont miss it ( ie, wallpaper, venetian plaster, etc)

Contact me if you need anything else.

HL Estimator (Gabe) is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HL Estimator (Gabe) For This Useful Post:
HQP2005 (04-16-2012), Ultimate (11-14-2011)
Old 11-14-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
"Member"

Thanked 5,688 Times in 3,051 Posts
View NEPS.US's Photo Album My Photos

Quickbooks

Drop downs for units, decriptions and values.
NEPS.US is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NEPS.US For This Useful Post:
Ultimate (11-14-2011)
Old 11-15-2011, 01:38 AM   #4
Painting Contractor

Thanked 1,761 Times in 1,073 Posts
View Damon T's Photo Album My Photos

For exteriors I create Spreadsheet either on my yellow pad, or more recently on my iPad. On the left column is all of the operations that need to be done, in order. Then the next columns are the sides of the house. I estimate each operation for each side of the house. I can then total it all up in the field. It works better for me than trying to estimate it after I'm at home and have looked at other jobs, fielded phone calls etc. I'll see if I can post a pic or screen shot.
Damon T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Damon T For This Useful Post:
HQP2005 (04-16-2012)
Old 11-15-2011, 01:42 AM   #5
Painting Contractor

Ok I don't know how to post a file or picture yet. You can pm me with your email address, or the all knowing mods can enlighten me. Thx
Old 11-15-2011, 05:40 AM   #6
Born To Be Mild

Thanked 1,702 Times in 999 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

I use this on repaints.

Time is in hundreadths (SP?) of a minute. Am about to make a few changes to it. Feel free to use modify to fit your needs.
Attached Files
File Type: xls New excel estimating sheet.xls (14.0 KB, 368 views)
People who say they want a government program because “I don’t want to be a burden to my children” apparently think it is all right to be a burden to other people’s children. Thomas Sowell House Painting Annapolis painter Facebook Blog Google +
bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bikerboy For This Useful Post:
mpminter (11-15-2011)
Old 11-15-2011, 07:33 AM   #7

I like your form! I have been wanting some sort of excel spread sheet, but I don't have any idea how to build them. Isn't there a way to have certain values built into the spread sheet that you can't see but that function none the less? For example, on the spread sheet you made, is it possible to have your cost per man hour built in in such a way that as you input the number of hours in each column the program automatically totals both the number of hours and the cost, and then displays that information in the correct field? I know that something like that has to be possible, I just don't know how to do it. My goal long term is to develop systems so that I can send anyone who knows how to read a tape measure and as long as they do exactly what's on the sheet in front of them, they will get the same price I would. I don't even know if that's possible, but that's the goal. One of my biggest problems right now is that I'm technologically challenged. Sometimes I feel like an analog man trapped in a digital world...
Old 11-15-2011, 07:53 AM   #8

Let me clarify exactly what I am trying to accomplish and the tools I want to build.

1. Detailed checklists or maybe even worksheets for the various jobs that we do with all the various things that need to be looked at while checking out the job including what measurements need to be taken, the condition and material of surfaces to be painted (i.e. drywall vs. plaster) what pictures need to be taken, what information needs to be gathered from the customer (colors, scheduling, contact info, etc.)

2. Spread sheets that have my production rates and labor costs built in so that the estimator only has to enter square footage or linear footage for example and the program spits out an accurate number. For example an exterior might look like net square footage X difficulty factor / man hours per 100sf X cost per man hour = labor total. At that point adding materials is easy. Right now all these calculations get scratched out in a notebook that I carry around and the information isn't very easy to work with.

Maybe I'm the only guy here that doesn't have something like this put together, but If you wouldn't mind sharing your system I would appreciate it!
Old 11-15-2011, 10:25 AM   #9
Born To Be Mild

Thanked 1,702 Times in 999 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

Yes, you can have it calculate values.

No, I am not smart enough to do it.

(Keep saying I'm going to take an excel class)
People who say they want a government program because “I don’t want to be a burden to my children” apparently think it is all right to be a burden to other people’s children. Thomas Sowell House Painting Annapolis painter Facebook Blog Google +
bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bikerboy For This Useful Post:
Different Strokes (11-15-2011)
Old 11-15-2011, 11:35 AM   #10

View delpainter's Photo Album My Photos
Default Try This

Here's a spreadsheet I put together works ok I am still tweaking it a bit. You add in height length and width and it calculates square foot costs and material costs, crown/chair values are o for no or 1 for yes which will then add the costs into the total. Doors are 6 panel painted which seems to be standard around here. Windows are the same but there is a difficulty factor depending on total lites. The hgt/diff is for heights over 9 feet 1 is the standard- 9 feet and under, over that goes up 1.1, 1.2 etc.
The attachment should let you enter basic info but no access to the cost formulas as I am still working on those. I would appreciate feedback either here or e mail your comments.

As a side note I am thinking of giving this sheet to some construction companies I work for so they can enter the info and get a price without me having to run around looking at the smaller projects.
Attached Files
File Type: xls mobile.xls (21.0 KB, 238 views)

Last edited by delpainter; 11-15-2011 at 11:45 AM..
delpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:54 AM   #11
Painting Contractor

I have worked on the estimate approach for years trying to do production rates and time judgements. Not sure if that makes sense. Ok, I have spreadsheets that are based on production rates, which can work very well. They seem to have worked the best for me on large exterior repaint / restoration jobs. It is actually based upon the format provided in the PDCA estimating guide. The problem I have is when I try to use them on interiors. I don't know why but it seems to end up being more in the spreadsheet than it needs to be. I have gone back to breaking every operation down by either room or side of house, and estimating how much time it will take. I think in the world of repaints that there is a lot of judgment needed, and production rates by themselves can't possibly take enough into account. It's similar to how I posted on another thread about having trouble with the Emyth in my business. I wasn't able to see the attachments posted by others on this thread, and still don't know how to post on it.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:43 PM   #12

View Westy's Photo Album My Photos
Default A form for yet another take on estimating

Since every painter has different criteria for estimating a job's length, I found that creating my own in Word, with what is significant to me, was the way to go. Feel free to check it out:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg estScrnShot.jpg (108.7 KB, 231 views)
Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:26 PM   #13
Over-worked & under-paid

Thanked 3,469 Times in 1,560 Posts
View ProWallGuy's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
Since every painter has different criteria for estimating a job's length, I found that creating my own in Word, with what is significant to me, was the way to go. Feel free to check it out:
Nice, I'd need to make one in Excel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron61 View Post
Don't take it personal. It's just painting

ProWallGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:36 AM   #14
Painting Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy
Nice job Westy! I'm curious why you have the three rows labeled prep, paint and breakdown, when you covers all aspects thoroughly in your columns? Is it just to show the totals per category?
Old 04-17-2012, 06:06 PM   #15

View Westy's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks Damon,
Legitimate question. Through the years, when trying to estimate jobs solely from pix I took on my iPhone, I usually ended up calculating how long for prep, then painting, then breakdown, & adding that together -- so it's really just a visual reinforcement for thinking about a project that way.
Cheers,
Westy

Last edited by Westy; 04-17-2012 at 06:12 PM..
Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:49 PM   #16

View Steveqpp's Photo Album My Photos

I don't know if this is what you are looking for?
This is a form I had printed on two sides and bond in packs of 50.
When the customer saw them it really increased the trust level that I was not going to miss much.

Also it made sure the right stuff got to the job and home again.

Hope this helps

Steve

This is my first time posting and I can not get the file to up load. need some help. it is an excel file but it is telling me it is invalid?
Steveqpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:06 PM   #17
Over-worked & under-paid

Thanked 3,469 Times in 1,560 Posts
View ProWallGuy's Photo Album My Photos

Steve, you need more posts to be allowed to attach a file. Helps against spammers. Stick around, post a bit, then come back and attach it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron61 View Post
Don't take it personal. It's just painting

ProWallGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:28 PM   #18

View Steveqpp's Photo Album My Photos

ProWallGuy thanks.
I think one problem I was having was my logo in the spreedsheet saved it as a different type of file. lets see if the changes help.

Hope this works.

Thank
Steve
Attached Files
File Type: xls Material Equipment Sheet.xls (31.5 KB, 127 views)
Steveqpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:22 AM   #19

View Scotiadawg's Photo Album My Photos

pencil & pad + knowledge of the trade. K.I.S.S
Scotiadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #20

View goldenwest's Photo Album My Photos

I have designed several estimating programs and guides for my own use. They are all on Open Office spreadsheet format. I have one for interior work, one for exterior work, and one for log house exteriors (my specialty is log houses imported to Holland from Finland and Poland). I would be happy to send you them to examine... of course all the data is in meters and liters and euros, so they would not be usable in the USA without changing a bunch of formulae.

But one thing I have learned is to NOT try to think of every detail. I used to try to plan for everything, but it made it so difficult to complete an estimate. Then I thought back to one of the old guys I learned from... he just walked around the house and counted windows and doors...

So I built my programs to be relatively simple. I count windows and doors and some other features, and I factor in working height and existing condition. I enter paint types, coverage rate, and cost per liter and the computer does the rest. The program includes travel costs, sundry items allowance, paint loss and markup, profit and overhead, tool rental and other expenses.

Most of the time it works out well - but it is based on long-term averages. Some jobs come in under budget, some push the top end and even go over. But over a year it all works out pretty accurately.

goldenwest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to goldenwest For This Useful Post:
traditionaldecorator (05-07-2014)