Generating Commercial Repaint Leads and Sales - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 04-02-2016, 01:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 48
View Painters Academy's Photo Album My Photos
Default Generating Commercial Repaint Leads and Sales

Hey guys, this is a free training session I did at the PDCA Expo. Although you may have missed it in New Orleans, this session generated TONS of buzz with owners and Iíve put up the REPLAY for a few days. Please post and tell me what you think.

Notice: It's a tad blurry at the beginning and the audio isn't fantastic, but the content is the most important part!

CLICK HERE TO WATCH

http://www.paintersacademy.com/wp-co...eo-300x168.jpg
Painters Academy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2016, 04:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 296
View Mr Smith's Photo Album My Photos

I watched this presentation and came away with a few impressions of the "marketer" known as Brandon Lewis. He's very slick in that southern kind of style. He runs a business called "The Academy for Professional Painting Contractors."

First off, he said that a painting contractor who doesn't know how to "estimate" a commercial job should look into another profession...or something along those lines. Seriously?...I've been in the painting business for over 15 years and don't have a clue on how to estimate a Big commercial job. I've never painted a huge warehouse nor have I done a commercial quote off of blueprints. They also often use different products than residential painting.

I've talked to this guy before on the phone and he avoided the 'estimate' questions. He's a marketer and probably hired his own estimator to run his painting business in the past. We all can't afford to hire an estimator.

He talks about approaching the facility managers of buildings over 40K SQ Feet. How are you supposed to talk turkey with them if you don't know how to bid on big commercial jobs? He refused to go into the bidding process and probably never will. Yeah,like we are supposed to know this stuff by osmosis.

This guy wants to charge Painting contractors over $1,000 to sign up and the payments are $250 a month for his business 'secrets'.

Last edited by Mr Smith; 04-11-2016 at 05:11 PM..
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:18 AM   #3
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,876
Thanked 2,421 Times in 1,138 Posts
View George Z's Photo Album My Photos

I did watch that video and I thought it contains very sound marketing advice.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to George Z For This Useful Post:
Painters Academy (04-12-2016), SemiproJohn (04-12-2016)

Old 04-12-2016, 10:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z View Post
I did watch that video and I thought it contains very sound marketing advice.
Yeah the marketing info was good.That said, there are a few holes in his system including estimating. How are you supposed to land jobs when you do not know the pricing structure of that commercial market?
Old 04-12-2016, 10:30 AM   #5
Painting Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smith View Post
Yeah the marketing info was good.That said, there are a few holes in his system including estimating. How are you supposed to land jobs when you do not know the pricing structure of that commercial market?
Learn it or get someone that knows it, or just focus on residential.
This was not a video about estimating.
Most of it is easier than residential to estimate, at least office buildings that have offices and hallways.
An office is a room. Four walls, maybe a door. They mostly have acoustic tiles, a window wall, vinyl cove, or carpet baseboard.
We find commercial office re-painting much more profitable and easier to run.

Last edited by George Z; 04-12-2016 at 10:34 AM..
Painters Academy (04-12-2016), playedout6 (04-16-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 10:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z View Post
Learn it or get someone that knows it, or just focus on residential.
This was not a video about estimating.
Most of it is easier than residential to estimate, at least office buildings that have offices and hallways.
An office is a room. Four walls, maybe a door. They mostly have acoustic tiles, a window wall, vinyl cove, or carpet baseboard.
We find commercial office re-painting much more profitable and easier to run.
Actually he's selling a complete system for the painting contractor. I know in this particular video he focussed on the marketing end of things. Someone in the audience asked him a question about estimating and he said to find another profession if you don't already know,which is ridiculous.He doesn't teach estimating in his entire program. THAT was my point.

You say "learn it"...I currently use Marg's PEP software to estimate residential jobs. Have used it for 2 years and it is a good program.Nobody around here teaches commercial bidding... Those are closely guarded trade secrets...How do you bid a warehouse or 15 floor stairwell for instance? What are the wall or floor square foot rates in Toronto for commercial painting? What products are you using for walls?

In these parts,most painters bid commercial jobs by floor square footage and the PEP software bids it by wall square foot/hour.

Brandon's program is geared towards the average painting contractor who has never went after commercial jobs in the past. Leaving out the bidding process is a huge void to fill IMO. If I bid a commercial job like I do residential I would never get any work. I currently bid at 160 WALL sq ft/hour.

Last edited by Mr Smith; 04-12-2016 at 11:05 AM..
Old 04-12-2016, 06:13 PM   #7

Default Commercial Repaint Contracts

Thanks for the feedback guys. You're right, I don't spend a lot of time bothering with how to calculate the PRICE of an estimate (it's a simple math problem driven by production rates and once you have those down it's rather straightforward except in unusual circumstances such as painting exposed ceilings in working manufacturing environments, projects with high potential of paint failure, high-compression scheduling, safety risks, etc.).

I do spend my time teaching owners what most lack: A sales process that commands premium prices and achieves higher closing rates.

As a disclaimer: I do not get into teaching anything at all about commercial new construction in the video, only commercial repaints. The money in commercial repaints is more predictable, very often recurring, less risky from a financial standpoint, there is more of it, and YOU own the relationship with the building owner or management (instead of being held hostage by a general contractor.)

If you were looking for information on how to calculate a price you will admittedly be disappointed, but that was not at all my aim.

I know the content is solid because I've seen owners implement the approach again and again. It's thoroughly field tested in multiple markets, not just a perspective from one limited point of experience.

But in the end, it's just a free training video. You at least got what you paid for, right?

BTW: That presentation was scored as excellent, all 5's in 6 categories, by 98.6% of all PDCA attendees. Maybe they were just all a bunch of know-nothing second-stringers...

Thanks again guys!
Old 04-13-2016, 09:20 AM   #8
Painting Contractor

Quote:
Actually he's selling a complete system for the painting contractor. I know in this particular video he focussed on the marketing end of things. Someone in the audience asked him a question about estimating and he said to find another profession if you don't already know,which is ridiculous.He doesn't teach estimating in his entire program. THAT was my point.

You say "learn it"...I currently use Marg's PEP software to estimate residential jobs. Have used it for 2 years and it is a good program.Nobody around here teaches commercial bidding... Those are closely guarded trade secrets...How do you bid a warehouse or 15 floor stairwell for instance? What are the wall or floor square foot rates in Toronto for commercial painting? What products are you using for walls?

In these parts,most painters bid commercial jobs by floor square footage and the PEP software bids it by wall square foot/hour.

Brandon's program is geared towards the average painting contractor who has never went after commercial jobs in the past. Leaving out the bidding process is a huge void to fill IMO. If I bid a commercial job like I do residential I would never get any work. I currently bid at 160 WALL sq ft/hour.
We do 60% commercial repaints and never had difficult answers to these questions you pose.
- What products? Same to residential and a lot of Ultra spec 500.
- 15 floor stairwell? Estimate your own production for one floor and multiply by 15.
- Floor square footage? Only for painting floors.
- Square foot rates in Toronto? None, it's just our rates that I care about.
- We have used PEP for the above, the same as residential. Yes, it's a good program.

I am simplifying my answers on purpose. Most repaint commercial is simple and easier to manage and estimate than residential.
Now if there are some that are beyond our capabilities, we don't bother with it.
I hope that helps
The Following User Says Thank You to George Z For This Useful Post:
playedout6 (04-16-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 11:33 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,728
Thanked 1,353 Times in 673 Posts
View thinkpainting/nick's Photo Album My Photos

PEP is great for the email the quote but much better estimating programs out there especially for Commerical. Commerical Re-Paint work especially steady accounts is a wonderful thing. I've had and done many over the years. The trick is finding who hires the contractor the person sometimes not always ( facilities manager ) usually makes the call.

Sadly most of that work is taken by franchise painting company's in my area. And believe me most of them have no clue how to Estimate. I could talk about this on a whole other post for days. But to stay on topic I won't .

Brandon knows his marketing and how to run a business. If he didn't no way he could have sold one. Who's gonna buy a business losing money or with no exsisiting accounts and customer base. Is he or was he a estimator probably not nor could he paint ( I'm assuming ) but that's not what makes a business successful . As for how much his painters academy is again he's running a business. He charges for his expertise and business costs like we do . Some will hire us some won't. Just my opinion
thinkpainting/nick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thinkpainting/nick For This Useful Post:
George Z (04-13-2016), Painters Academy (04-13-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 11:09 PM   #10

Somebody should check to see if his story is true...I highly doubt that he got 400K for his painting business...He seems like a good guy but the best snake oil salesman are slick. You'd probably get the same info from Steve Burnett for $35/month..Brandon charges $250/month which is a bit ridiculous...Sounds like George is a member the way he sticks up for the guy.

Hey Brandon what is the name of your former painting company and in what city?...I'm sure that it's still on page 1 of google or easy to find with a quick search. What say you? For 400K you can be certain that the new owner kept the same name.

Due diligence folks.

Last edited by Mr Smith; 04-13-2016 at 11:19 PM..
Old 04-13-2016, 11:41 PM   #11
Painting Contractor

Quote:
Somebody should check to see if his story is true...I highly doubt that he got 400K for his painting business...He seems like a good guy but the best snake oil salesman are slick. You'd probably get the same info from Steve Burnett for $35/month..Brandon charges $250/month which is a bit ridiculous...Sounds like George is a member the way he sticks up for the guy.

Hey Brandon what is the name of your former painting company and in what city?...I'm sure that it's still on page 1 of google or easy to find with a quick search. What say you? For 400K you can be certain that the new owner kept the same name.

Due diligence folks.
Not sure why you have an axe to grind. I am a member this year with good results, so disclosure is not a problem for me. No, it isn't $250 for me but if you like to know, I am always open to sharing information. Just ask, what is the animosity about?
Business coaching is nothing new. I was a member of Summit, great group for way more money. I thought it was a good value.
For some of us going back many years, I was a member of NAPP too. Then there was CCN for whoever remembers it.
I don't know about Steve's $35 a month group but I am sure he has something good to offer, knowing some of the people in it.
Let's keep positivity in our business.
Feel free to introduce yourself, tell us about your business and we can get to know you.

Last edited by George Z; 04-14-2016 at 12:37 AM..
Painters Academy (04-15-2016), thinkpainting/nick (04-14-2016)
Old 04-14-2016, 07:22 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,728
Thanked 1,353 Times in 673 Posts
View thinkpainting/nick's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

Due diligence folks.
Steve and Brandon offer a much different service in my opinion . Similar but different as more in depth and different ways of getting the same thing. You could and can get what they and many others offer for free. Lot"s of marketing books and seminars out there . Heck on this board alone there's tons great threads on marketing . As my friend George just said CCN , NAPP, Summit all offered similar services. I can't tell you the great things I learned from Richard Kaller and many hated his opinions. Mark was a great guy from NAPP and really wanted to see painters succeed . Summit as well has made a world of difference for many very successful and profitable painting contractors .

I get where your coming from on snake oil salesman but I have dealt with Brandon and that's not what I got from him at all. Even with all the tools and years many of us have in the business. Sometimes we need a push to implement our marketing services for our company's or even one man shows. We get all setup ready to go with our marketing plan and we get distracted or busy. Having a plan and someone to kick us in the a"" helps. I've been a marketing manic for many years . I used to be in charge of marketing for our local PDCA group. Personally brought many speakers into our area to put on semminars.

Your entitled to your opinion but as far as I'm concerned PA is a good thing for painters or painting company's to get serious on there marketing. Is it expensive that depends on ROI? Theres many seasoned guys and gals on this board . I don't think a snake oil salesman will win out . Be it Summit, Steves , Brandon's or for that matter Monroe Porter with Prosult ( many wait years to get into his group which is not cheap) but they are very successful for implementing what he shares and offers.
thinkpainting/nick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkpainting/nick For This Useful Post:
Painters Academy (04-15-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 09:39 AM   #13

Exclamation Two Mindsets: One Is A Death-Trap!

Nick and George, you are too kind by far. Thank you so much.

Mr. Smith, a word you may either take to heart and use for your own betterment, or toss on the rubbish heap of discounted opinion:

When a business owner realizes that his desired level of achievement is much lower than what he expected, and as he looks around and sees others surpassing him financially with greater speed and presumably inordinate ease, and if he truly desires to achieve that level of success or at least envies it, he will fall into one of two behavioral or mental profiles:

#1 The Entrenched Excuse-Making Ego-Protectionist: In order to protect a fragile self-image, this owner is duty-bound to find flaws that do not exist and look at all meaningful and helpful solutions to his problems as voodoo, snake-oil, or alchemy, because real resolutions are always dressed in overalls and look like hard work. He prefers a convenient excuse to a challenging opportunity. He traffics in name-calling and excuse-making because to face the alternative plausibility, that his shortfalls are his own responsibility, is simply too much to bear.

#2 The Educating, Experimenting, Implementer: This owner either desires to take his business to the next level or has finally grown tired of the status quo. He is ravenous, curious, and meticulous in his acquisition of knowledge or guidance for improving his business. He is steadfast, plodding, and constant in his implementation of systems, processes, and procedures, however boring and mundane. We wades through the market’s offerings, picks out the pieces that work for him, and moves on with a determined smile, knowing that not everything he tries will work, but that without trying his progress is hopeless.

Mr. Smith, you must choose one of these two paths. Presently, given that your contributions here have been wholly negative and critical, I feel you may have settled into one of these modes irretrievably.

Thank you kindly for your challenge, which is not a challenge at all. I owned Painter Ready in Chattanooga and still own the building, free and clear, in which it is domiciled. It’s common knowledge.

The business has continued to grow and expand into other service offerings.

And you are correct in one sense; I did not sell the business for $400,000.00. I sold it for $433,844.97 plus some miscellaneous equipment/epoxy sales that I traded for waterproofing around the building, bringing it up an easy-to-remember $440,000.00. However, the business did so well that the owner was able to pay me off early and save on some of the interest payments.

However, I made HUGE MISTAKES that cost me no less than $500,000 to $750,000 in personal income and equity. I share those with other painting contractors so they do not have to endure them. When I look back at all the opportunities I squandered, I'm personally embarrassed and mortified, but I'm not afraid to admit it...

Mr. Smith, if you would be so kind, now that we’ve done all this “sharing for the good of the group,” pray tell us your name and business name? If you and I spoke, there is about a 95% chance I have a business survey and profile from when we did our assessment on file.

Now, this is a completely confidential and private profile , and I promise never to share our conversations with anyone, but if you will give me your permission and authorization, we can discuss your personal progress here in great detail over the past 15 years...

Theater of the Mind Disclaimer: You see, that last paragraph above is a non-starter for me (It’s Really Just There for the Reader’s Personal Entertainment): It would do neither you, I, or the group any good. The better path, for all painting contractors, is to look within, not without. We all have challenging markets, dwindling labor pools, rising prices, and competition.

Yet, there are still those who are flourishing, those who are floundering, and those who are failing. If you have fallen short of your personal mark, you must start with yourself. How are you investing your time, energy, and talents? Once you survey this candidly, you’ll understand why and how you’ve arrived in your present condition.

Once this is known, either get to work or quietly go off in a corner and grumble to yourself. I have no use for the latter, nor, in reality, does anyone else from a purely practical standpoint.

That’s just my opinion after working with hundreds of painting contractors, I’m sure, Mr. Smith, yours is just as valid and helpful.

Last edited by Painters Academy; 04-15-2016 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: typos
The Following User Says Thank You to Painters Academy For This Useful Post:
Hines Painting (04-15-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 10:41 PM   #14

Hey Brandon why would anyone pay you $433,844.97 for your franchise when anyone can buy one of those Painter Ready franchise today for $40,000? Just curious.

Looks like you bought your franchise on 05/01/2008 per BBB...good stuff
This is from Brandon Lewis' website:

Brandon Lewis started and grew his painting business to over $1 Million in sales and 20 employees during the worst recession since the Great Depression. He went on to sell his business for a significant profit in a still struggling economy.
http://www.paintersacademy.com/leadership/

Started?

Painter Ready was founded by Neal McBeath

Neal McBeath founded Painter Ready Services, LLC in 2006 with more than 12 years experience owning and operating a successful Columbus, Ohio based company providing business to business services. Prior to this, he spent three years in sales for a national building products company. Neal holds a bachelor’s degree from The Ohio State University.

Neal Mcbeath: Owner, Painter Ready Services LLC
Position: Owner at Painter Ready Services LLC

Industry: Construction

Work history:
Painter Ready Services LLC
Owner

Owner, Painter Ready
Position: Owner at Painter Ready

Industry: Construction

Work history:
Painter Ready
Owner

Brandon Lewis was hired by Painter Ready in 2008 as a salesman.

Summer 2008 - Welcome New Dealers & Staff
• Greg Smith, Orlando, FL
• Jason DuPlessis, New Orleans, LA
• Keith Winstead, Wilmington, NC
• Mike Jarvis, Chattanooga, TN
• Jim Mueller, Cleveland, TN
• Eric Kilbourne, Birmingham, AL
• Dauberto Hernandez, Fairfax, VA
New national sales staff member: Brandon Lewis

http://www.painterreadyfranchise.com...r_profiles.php

It appears that Mr Lewis became a " Ready family member" of the Painter Ready franchise on 05/01/2008

This is directly from the BBB
Secretary of State/TN
312 8th Avenue North 6th Floor, Snodgrass Tower
Nashville, TN 37243-0001
(615) 741-2286

Hamilton County Business License
(423) 209-6500
BBB records show a license number of 0575727 for this company, issued by Secretary of State/TN. Brandon Lewis Group, LLC.

Type of Entity

Limited Liability Company

Business Management

http://www.bbb.org/chattanooga/busin...ga-tn-40060817

Current Owners:

Ken & Kurt Morris, Owners of Brandon's old franchise in Chattanooga Tennessee:

Ken and Kurt Morris are brothers who bought Painter Ready in 2013. The Morris family, originally from Alabama, has been in Chattanooga over 25-years and could see that Painter Ready was already known for its quality work and customer service.

Being a family owned business was always a dream for Ken and Kurt and business ownership has brought the whole family closer together.

FIVE STAR PAINTING, A LEADING PAINTING FRANCHISE SYSTEM, PARTNERS WITH PAINTER READY, A LEADING COMMERCIAL PAINTING FRANCHISE SYSTEM TO DELIVER SERVICES IN NORTH AMERICA

Five Star Painting Inc, a leading painting franchise system today announced a
partnership with Painter Ready, a leading commercial painting franchise system.

The
strong fit between the two companies led to the joining of Five Star Painting
and Painter Ready with respect to meeting the growing demand of its clients
across North America. Finding reliable painters that respond in a timely manner
has been a common challenge in the industry. This partnership will see
franchisees from both systems working together to deliver a quality service in
a time sensitive fashion and on budget.

Scott
Abbott, CEO of Five Star Painting commented on this recent development “We are
excited about our recent partnership with Painter Ready as it speeds up the
delivery of our services to our national customers. This is also an excellent advancement
for our franchisees as it will open more opportunities to service the
commercial sector through Painter Ready’s relationships with some of America’s
top brands.”

Kevin
New, CEO of Painter Ready
had this to say about the partnership “We are equally
excited about the new partnership with Five Star Painting. This partnership will enhance our services to
our national customers and to our current Franchisees. Further, it positions us to better service
current and future clients.”

About Five Star Painting
Inc.

Formed
in 2000, Utah-based Five Star Painting Inc has grown to 37 franchises in North
America, with operations in the USA, Canada and Mexico. Five Star Painting
offers its Franchisees access to software, a 24/7call center, marketing,
training and management support. Customers of a Five Star Painting Franchise
receive a Five Star job without a five star price. As one of the fastest
growing franchises in the service industry Five Star Painting works with
industry leaders to deliver business opportunities to entrepreneurs committed
to a high level of customer service. To learn more, please visit: www.fivestarpaintingfranchise.com.

About Painter Ready

Formed in 2002, has grown to 20 franchises in North
America. Painter Ready
offers its Franchisees access to marketing, training, networking, management
support, and nationwide business development. We are the only painting franchise system in place concentrating
entirely on the commercial and industrial segment of the painting
industry. As a national provider of
painting services, we will continue to grow market share in this growing 100
billion dollar industry. To learn more, please visit:

www.painterreadyfranchise.com
http://www.franchise.org/five-star-p...eady-a-leading

Last edited by Mr Smith; 04-15-2016 at 11:37 PM..
Old 04-16-2016, 12:05 AM   #15
Painting Contractor

You can "start" an individual franchise, you can grow a franchise, you can sell a franchise.
I don't get the point of all this investigation. Is there a point?
Painters Academy (04-16-2016), SemiproJohn (04-16-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 03:55 PM   #16

Lightbulb Why People Pay More for Successful Businesses

Clarification: Painter Ready was not a franchise when I invested $7,500 for the use license at the time and still may not be one under UFOC guidelines; It was a network of painters bound by a licensing agreement without a uniform operating system for any business functions for the sole purpose of servicing national chain store locations more effectively.

I did start out with PR on the sales side, but chose to open my own unit because the national chain market was so poor during the Great Recession.

For this reason, I had to completely change my business model because national chains took an axe to painting budgets. I would have painted toenails in 2008 for cash.

What resulted was a PR unit that looks completely different from most of it's commercial-traveling counterparts.

Mr. Smith, again, you are still anonymous... What happened to all the sharing we were going to do?

If you spent half as much time working on your business as you have examining mine (past and present) you might just get somewhere yet. Shift your envy into enthusiasm for your own enterprise.

P.S. if you can't understand why someone pays significantly more for a going concern than any license, franchise, or business model without cash-flow or customers, the best you can hope for is to get a job at Home Depot and wash your hands of this entire entrepreneurship undertaking.

$Money Quote$: Before you start any business, first figure out how you're doing to sell it. If you cannot sell it, you do not have a business. You have a job.

Last edited by Painters Academy; 04-16-2016 at 03:58 PM..